What does your house look like on an average day?

What does your house look like on an average day?

March 9th, 2012, 10:17 pm #1

We often talk about cleaning and decluttering on this board. I also wonder what my house looks like in comparison to the average person's. So, let's talk about what our house looks like right at this moment be it one room or the whole house. I'll start....

I just picked up all the toys off the living room floor. There is still a pillow on the floor and my son has rock band set up in the middle of the room. I also have some folded laundry on the couch and an empty coffee cup on the end table. I vacuumed the area rug earlier but it looks like I didn't.
In my dining room I have a bucket of turtles on the table as well as a bunch of shamrock felt shapes I cut out earlier. There are various misc. items on the buffet and built in shelves. The shelves and buffet need to be dusted. There is also a bag on the floor and a basket of folded laundry that needs to go upstairs. There is also a pile of stuff on the stairs that needs to be put away, it has been sitting there for a week. I have successfully ignored it.

My kitchen contains a sinkful of dirty dishes and DH's breakfast pan is still on the stove. The stovetop isn't filthy but needs a wipe down. The counters need to be wiped down also. The table cloth on the kitchen table has various stains from yesterday. It has my daughter's play cash register on top along with my bible and a few misc. papers. I mopped two days ago but I know there are remnants from the jello I wiped up yesterday and a mud spot from the kids coming in this afternoon. There are 2 pairs of shoes by the back door that were tossed off. The cabinet fronts also need to be wiped down.

Upstairs there is an abundance of dust bunnies and floors that desperately need to be swept and mopped. My bed is unmade and there are a few empty glasses in there as well as dirty clothes in a pile on the floor. There is a large box of stuff on the landing that needs to go to the curb.

Bear in mind that this is a "good" day. Anyone else want to fess up?
Last edited by momtoelibet on March 9th, 2012, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2012, 11:52 pm #2

But it could all be clean in an hour(or less with a little help...)which is why I live with it, I guess!

There is sewing stuff out, folded towels, various binders for printed needlework patterns, there are dishes on the counter and in the sink. The kids do them once a day.

Dh and Ds have been sick and now they've given it to me :-P

Edited to point out that it is not DIRTY- just messy. Well... not counting the bathrooms. The bathrooms are pretty gross! DD washes down all the surfaces in the kitchen every night. We aren't really living like pigs!
Last edited by KimAB on March 9th, 2012, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 10th, 2012, 12:07 am #3

We often talk about cleaning and decluttering on this board. I also wonder what my house looks like in comparison to the average person's. So, let's talk about what our house looks like right at this moment be it one room or the whole house. I'll start....

I just picked up all the toys off the living room floor. There is still a pillow on the floor and my son has rock band set up in the middle of the room. I also have some folded laundry on the couch and an empty coffee cup on the end table. I vacuumed the area rug earlier but it looks like I didn't.
In my dining room I have a bucket of turtles on the table as well as a bunch of shamrock felt shapes I cut out earlier. There are various misc. items on the buffet and built in shelves. The shelves and buffet need to be dusted. There is also a bag on the floor and a basket of folded laundry that needs to go upstairs. There is also a pile of stuff on the stairs that needs to be put away, it has been sitting there for a week. I have successfully ignored it.

My kitchen contains a sinkful of dirty dishes and DH's breakfast pan is still on the stove. The stovetop isn't filthy but needs a wipe down. The counters need to be wiped down also. The table cloth on the kitchen table has various stains from yesterday. It has my daughter's play cash register on top along with my bible and a few misc. papers. I mopped two days ago but I know there are remnants from the jello I wiped up yesterday and a mud spot from the kids coming in this afternoon. There are 2 pairs of shoes by the back door that were tossed off. The cabinet fronts also need to be wiped down.

Upstairs there is an abundance of dust bunnies and floors that desperately need to be swept and mopped. My bed is unmade and there are a few empty glasses in there as well as dirty clothes in a pile on the floor. There is a large box of stuff on the landing that needs to go to the curb.

Right now the den is cleanest room in the house and it is a mess. There are piles of stuff I've been sorting through on every surface, and a pile of VCR tapes by the tv. Dirty sheets and mattress pad in a pile that I need to wash and pack for our next trip with the air mattress.

The living room has both packed boxes and empty boxes of dishes and stuff I need to take to Missouri in May. It also has everything I've emptied out of the kitchen cabinets, and clothes piled on the sofa because I am totally out of hangers.

The kitchen is probably the cause of most of the chaos. I ripped the backsplash off the other day and we've been trying to decide what to do next. We decided today that we might as well take off all the counters and replace them. That means I have to refinish all the cabinets NOW instead of taking my time with it.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm #4

I don't allow dishes in the sink anymore. Years ago a child had to throw up and there were dishes in there, I had to clean it, never again. Gag.

I usually clean Friday nights after all the kids leave so I don't have to do it over the weekend. I didn't vacuum, but I picked up.

I used to be a neat freak. My house is pretty clean but there is clutter here and there. There are always papers and books on my desk and it looks messy most of the time now since I am taking classes and I really don't give a toot. There are always stacks of books on the tables in the living room. Today there is also a salt shaker and napkins since we ate while watching a show last night, and my bag of sunflower seeds are still there. DH left his schoolwork stuff on the dining table spread out everywhere.

There are things that need to go upstairs on the stairs that I picked up earlier and a bottle of Mr. Clean on the stove that I didn't put away after I washed the kitchen floor.

I always have clutter in my bedroom. I have piles of books near my bed. There is kitty fur here and there. I have things on the window sill on my side. I will straighten things out, but it seems within two days the piles are back and the fur is flying. The tiny bathroom is clean since I did that Thursday. The hall has dust on secretary and the laundry basket is full.

March 10th, 2012, 3:51 pm #5

The kitchen table is littered with 2 laptops and papers, this is usual till we have more than 3 over to eat, three can eat at the bar! If I got wind company was coming I'd flurry around and get everything in order real quick. But I manage to stay on top of things pretty much. I'm here by myself during the majority of the day, so out of boredom I clean. Now if you was to look in sdd room, there is a big time mess in there. I close the door on that. I don't know how it gets that way when she's only here part of the time. But anyhow it's her mess she can sleep in it!! LOL

March 10th, 2012, 4:38 pm #6

I don't allow dishes in the sink anymore. Years ago a child had to throw up and there were dishes in there, I had to clean it, never again. Gag.

I usually clean Friday nights after all the kids leave so I don't have to do it over the weekend. I didn't vacuum, but I picked up.

I used to be a neat freak. My house is pretty clean but there is clutter here and there. There are always papers and books on my desk and it looks messy most of the time now since I am taking classes and I really don't give a toot. There are always stacks of books on the tables in the living room. Today there is also a salt shaker and napkins since we ate while watching a show last night, and my bag of sunflower seeds are still there. DH left his schoolwork stuff on the dining table spread out everywhere.

There are things that need to go upstairs on the stairs that I picked up earlier and a bottle of Mr. Clean on the stove that I didn't put away after I washed the kitchen floor.

I always have clutter in my bedroom. I have piles of books near my bed. There is kitty fur here and there. I have things on the window sill on my side. I will straighten things out, but it seems within two days the piles are back and the fur is flying. The tiny bathroom is clean since I did that Thursday. The hall has dust on secretary and the laundry basket is full.
Our old house almost always looked good. This rental house just does not inspire me to clean. At all. No, really. It's almost always messy. Even when it's clean it doesn't look good though, so why bother.

We looked at a couple more homes this morning that were duds and I'm feeling crummy about the prospects of living in the city we want and the possibility of moving to the enormous bland suburb next door.

March 10th, 2012, 6:21 pm #7

I can't figure out WHY I can't keep up the house the way I used to. Too much stuff in this house for one thing, but that's not really it. I used to clean all the time, even dusted the water heater daily. Now I just shut the door. Must be the internet.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 10th, 2012, 11:05 pm #8

I am not the best housekeeper, I have entirely to much STUFF, and fairly recently SS and his expecting GF moved in... so we have all the stuff that was taken out of the room, as well as a growing pile of baby items taking over the house. We also went from a 2 dog home to a 4 dog home and it is almost impossible to keep up with their mess. I work full time, so dont do much until the weekends which used to work when it was just the two of us...our star boarders have not yet figured out how to pick up after themselves. A source of stress and aggravation for DH and myself. DD is soon to move back home but I think she will get her own place fairly soon...and I might go with her!

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

March 10th, 2012, 11:06 pm #9

This is my second week of notworking my second job and I have felt awful because in the six months while i was working 2 jobs I haven't felt like my house was up to par. Today I have laundry on the futon (our 2nd couch, so glad to read someone else does that) and I finally cleaned off hte paperwork from the dining room table (only table to use to eat on) and we were able to have dinner at the table with nothing else on it. The stacks used to cover over 1/2 the table.. it was bad in my opinion, because I was not used to that. So I got ALOT done today. I am just glad to hear my messiness isn't unusual. I have bags of things to go to Goodwill by the door, a gym bag needing unpacked on the stairs, a broken shoe organizer that I haven't decided if I can use for indoor drying rack by the TV, the vacuum is still out too. Dishes in sink, just finished dinner so I am letting them soak a little.
Like some of you, I used to be much more of a neat freak, (when kids are away for the summer, its always neat!) also went through a messy period (when my kids were youngre, I really didnt care about laundry being out).

Thanks for letting me know I halfway normal.

Faith, Hope and Love, the greatest of these is LOVE.
Tracy

March 11th, 2012, 9:21 am #10

Neat freak..and I am now doing spring cleaning and then will do some small sprucing up before I take the summer off to enjoy the sun and whatever fun a 66 year old can have!

Don't forget to dust the light bulbs! Hahahhaha! I was taught well!