What do you give as a baby gift?

What do you give as a baby gift?

March 27th, 2012, 3:16 pm #1

I need to get one and she was loaded up at a recent shower and doesn't seem to need much. Ideas?

March 27th, 2012, 3:34 pm #2

my family knows I can get a good deal on infant diapers, tylenol, ibuprofen, and mylicon, and that's always a part of the gift.

I tend to pick up toys or 12-18 month old clothing on clearance, wooden trains, cars, puzzles or well made dolls and use them along with the above.
glendaMO

March 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm #3

I need to get one and she was loaded up at a recent shower and doesn't seem to need much. Ideas?
and the one thing Tauni still wants is a good thermometer, they are a bit spendy... or how about some bigger clothing/diapers.... or something special for mom.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

March 27th, 2012, 4:21 pm #4

When I had all my little ones I loved a good, double sided 36 x 36 flannel recieving blanket. The ones they sell in the store are so chintzy (small and thin) ..... Buy 2 yards of good flannel, put insides together, stitch it, rurn it out side out and sew around the edges....

Otherwise (or in addition) I vote for older sized clothing for baby like 18 months even.... Right now you can get great deals on winter clothing in that size....

March 27th, 2012, 4:49 pm #5

a board book. I've also done larger size clothing or all board books, choosing ones that I remember being mine or ds's favorites.

March 27th, 2012, 8:11 pm #6

When I had all my little ones I loved a good, double sided 36 x 36 flannel recieving blanket. The ones they sell in the store are so chintzy (small and thin) ..... Buy 2 yards of good flannel, put insides together, stitch it, rurn it out side out and sew around the edges....

Otherwise (or in addition) I vote for older sized clothing for baby like 18 months even.... Right now you can get great deals on winter clothing in that size....
My daughter took my sewing machine with her to the west coast...

March 27th, 2012, 9:29 pm #7

I'd probably give clothing in a 2T or larger size. Seems like most baby clothing gifts are in the newborn to 9 month sizes and the parents are running out of stuff and feeling the pinch by 2 or 3T sizes.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 27th, 2012, 11:28 pm #8

I always get gifts for a little later. It seems like everyone gives you newborn things.

--sippy cups
--diapers in bigger sizes--I normally get size 3
--ear thermometer
--board books
--cloth book--if you sew. Great for church or 'quiet' places.

I don't normally get blankets--I got so many blankets for DS that I ended up taking back over 10 blankets. I still had a HUGE stash. I also don't buy clothes because normally you can't guess what season it will be when they get to that size. Most kids wear bigger clothes. For example, they wear an 18 month or 24 month at the age of 12 months. My kids were the opposite. They wore a 9-12 month at 12 months old. That's why I never buy people clothes.

Tammy

March 28th, 2012, 2:29 am #9

2 of my nieces recently had a second baby so there was no shower. I took a gift to them in the hospital when I visited. I wasn't sure what to get so I got a few smaller items. The one they liked the most was bought at Walmart and it is a changing pad/ kit. It folds up and it holds a few diapers, wipes and has a roll of plastic bags for soiled diapers. This way they can change the baby in places they would normally worry about. Turns out the one who had the first baby had talked to the second niece about it because she liked it so much. It was about $10.

March 28th, 2012, 3:15 pm #10

and the one thing Tauni still wants is a good thermometer, they are a bit spendy... or how about some bigger clothing/diapers.... or something special for mom.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
I second the idea of a thermometer.

The temporal thermometers are the bomb. Trust me. If your plan is spend $30, then get that, but give them a gift receipt in case they already have it.

You can NEVER have enough books. My friend at work threw me a baby shower. I had worked there for 15 years, so it was a BIG shower with lots of people. Because I had already had a baby shower, we asked people to bring a new or used book. I work at an academic institution, so you can imagine how all these scientist-types liked that. They went crazy. I had over 100 books. What a godsend.

Here are some that both my kids LOVED.

I love "I am a Bunny" by Richard Scarry.

Also, one of our favs comes with a fantastic DVD. It is called Petting Farm (Little Scholastic; Book & DVD)

Whose baby am I? by John Butler

I'd stay away from clothes. I was given so many clothes that I didn't need one more thing. I always felt bad when people gave me clothes because it was a complete waste. We didn't need them at all.

A box of diapers is a good idea.