What are your hobbies and how do you keep them frugal or do you?

What are your hobbies and how do you keep them frugal or do you?

May 15th, 2011, 2:49 pm #1

Most of my hobbies tend NOT to be overly frugal, most recently I have been very interested in photography, and once I had the initial outlay its pretty cheap. I am also digitally scrapbooking and making a 52/12 book I make a page each week with pictures that I took that week, and a bit of journaling what is going on around here, and then one double page Layout for each month. I will have this book printed at the end of the year. I have also learned my photoshop program very well so I dont any longer by many kits for the pages... plus unlike paper scrapping I can use the papers and elements over and over again.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

May 15th, 2011, 2:58 pm #2

I like bikes and horses, and neither of those are cheap. Though the bikes aren't half bad because once you have them set up there aren't too many ongoing costs. Less if you can figure out how to do your own maintenance or better yet just don't crash. Horses, though... One of my friends once told me during hard times you should not own anything that eats or craps.

May 15th, 2011, 3:03 pm #3

Most of my hobbies tend NOT to be overly frugal, most recently I have been very interested in photography, and once I had the initial outlay its pretty cheap. I am also digitally scrapbooking and making a 52/12 book I make a page each week with pictures that I took that week, and a bit of journaling what is going on around here, and then one double page Layout for each month. I will have this book printed at the end of the year. I have also learned my photoshop program very well so I dont any longer by many kits for the pages... plus unlike paper scrapping I can use the papers and elements over and over again.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
I know I need a better camera, but I also need to know how to use it.

Quilting, in general, is not frugal for me if I don't watch for fabric sales. Still cheaper than buying a quilt from a quilt store, but not anywhere as cheap as buying a blanket from W*lmart or a cheap mass produced "hand-made" and crummy quilt.

We enjoy our water garden, and while it is easy once it is up and running, the initial outlay is not at all frugal.

As unfrugal as hobbies are, I think they are important enough to continue. My mother has a lot of hobbies, and she has a very active life. My in-laws have no hobbies and they are bored and lonely. Their only hobby in the past was boating and camping, and once they gave up the boat and motorhome, they had nothing to do all day.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 15th, 2011, 3:11 pm #4

I like bikes and horses, and neither of those are cheap. Though the bikes aren't half bad because once you have them set up there aren't too many ongoing costs. Less if you can figure out how to do your own maintenance or better yet just don't crash. Horses, though... One of my friends once told me during hard times you should not own anything that eats or craps.
I have not had a horse for quite awhile because of the expense, and what we do have around here short the dog, we could eat if things got really bad, like the chickens (but the chickens do produce an abundance of eggs which we sell to feed them) and goats (glorified weed eaters).

May 15th, 2011, 3:23 pm #5

I know I need a better camera, but I also need to know how to use it.

Quilting, in general, is not frugal for me if I don't watch for fabric sales. Still cheaper than buying a quilt from a quilt store, but not anywhere as cheap as buying a blanket from W*lmart or a cheap mass produced "hand-made" and crummy quilt.

We enjoy our water garden, and while it is easy once it is up and running, the initial outlay is not at all frugal.

As unfrugal as hobbies are, I think they are important enough to continue. My mother has a lot of hobbies, and she has a very active life. My in-laws have no hobbies and they are bored and lonely. Their only hobby in the past was boating and camping, and once they gave up the boat and motorhome, they had nothing to do all day.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
I save in other places to be able to do some of the hobbies I enjoy, If I can make them pay for themselves I am that much happier:>

I would so love to take some photography classes.. there is a series thru the community college I am seriously looking into, but again they are pretty spendy 75-100 dollars a class and there are 3 of them. There are some photographers that offer some classes around here.. but unfortunatley they are way out of my price range..like the wildlife photographers. I really enjoy wildlife photography, still life (flowers) and landscape.. and of course Gus. Some of the P&S's out there put some of the DSLR's to shame.

May 15th, 2011, 3:37 pm #6

...I don't have any. It's a mental thing for me--I can't have fun if there is work left undone, and there is always work left undone. So I just waste time instead...NOT GOOD, and I'm sure a shrink would have plenty to say about it.

In the past year and a half, I've taken up pinochle on a weekly basis. Only expense is a $1 deck of cards. It lasts 4 times as long if you rotate houses each week.... I'm still on the first deck of cards, but I think we need a new one.

May 15th, 2011, 3:41 pm #7

I love to read, play the piano, garden and crochet. Reading is relatively cheap 'cuz I use the library. It gets pricey if I go on a "downloading splurge" for my Kindle. I have Solitaire and Mahjongg on my Kindle and use them frequently. Solitaire was $0.99 and Mahjongg was $3.99. I have enough sheet music to last me for the next 25-30 years, so that's frugal, too. I don't buy a lot of plants every year; if I spend $100 a year that's a BIG outlay for me. Crocheting is another story. I could easily spend $100-150 a month on yarn. I do most of my crocheting for charity (Newborns in Need and hats/burial shrouds for my daughter's hospital).

May 15th, 2011, 4:05 pm #8

I have some odds and ends that I could send you.. I also have some skeins of wool if your interested in them... email me at katrinaf at wildblue dot net

May 15th, 2011, 6:13 pm #9

The frugal tricks I've used for scrapbooking include refraining from stickers in favor of re-usable decorative supplies such as stencils, punches, rubber stamps and ink pads.

May 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm #10

I have some odds and ends that I could send you.. I also have some skeins of wool if your interested in them... email me at katrinaf at wildblue dot net

I sent you an email, but my ISP has been kind of squirrely lately, so I don't know if you got it? I use acrylic yarn, both 4-ply and sport weight. It would be terrific if you sent your odds and ends. I will reimburse you for the postage.