What are you excited about right now?

What are you excited about right now?

July 21st, 2011, 4:39 pm #1

What's got you fired up right now? Can be big or (see my answer below) small.

July 21st, 2011, 4:41 pm #2

I have 6 tomatoes on my tomato plants. I'm in total disbelief as I have never grown ANYTHING before. I'm growing them in an "Earthbox" on my deck. Every day I go out there and check them. I'm all fired up about self-watering containers now and I plan to grow a bunch of stuff next year. Actually, I hope to grow lettuce and herbs in my windows over winter; we have no shortage of sun that's for sure.

July 25th, 2011, 2:12 am #3

new electrical service to my house... not cheap at all but I am glad it is done... finishing up painting my upstairs... (ran out of $ for the painter)but I am so glad to see that green go and be replaced by a nice, room brightening cream , checking out a new doctor for myself- still working on getting stuff for us closer to home(if the new doc works out for me then all I have left to find will be a new dentist for me, tough with my insurance....) and having a fairly easy week....

July 25th, 2011, 11:19 am #4

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my job! I got my first paycheck this weekend. It was like Christmas for me. I would do this for free, so to get that paycheck was just amazing. I've never had a big paycheck before, so that was really, really fun. I love this job so much. I know it will have big downer moments when a family doesn't get their kids back or a parent abuses a child or what-have-you, but working with folks in their homes to put their families back together or to help a troubled teen make something of her- or himself is just the coolest thing ever. I love it!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

July 25th, 2011, 12:28 pm #5

For some reason it ALWAYS gets me fired up...already working in my classroom, coming upo with new ideas, lesson plans! Just bought a table that was $20.00, then marked down to $8.00 but when It rang up it was only $4.00! I'm going to chop the legs off and make it lower like a Japanese table then paint the top with white board paint and put it in my writing area. When I think about HOW some iof my kids sit in their desk....I realized, they don't SIT! They are propped up with one knee in the seat or both kness in the seat. The days of sitting straight and tall with feet on the floor has long gone. Last year one little ADHD darling wanted to just stand by his desk. So...they will now have a table they can write words on with markers and they can do it on their knees! I'll put a carpet under the table and they can use pillows to sit on it they want them. Also found a stool I'm going to use...yea, I am ready for school to start!

http://gigisdarlings.blogspot.com/

July 25th, 2011, 2:02 pm #6

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my job! I got my first paycheck this weekend. It was like Christmas for me. I would do this for free, so to get that paycheck was just amazing. I've never had a big paycheck before, so that was really, really fun. I love this job so much. I know it will have big downer moments when a family doesn't get their kids back or a parent abuses a child or what-have-you, but working with folks in their homes to put their families back together or to help a troubled teen make something of her- or himself is just the coolest thing ever. I love it!

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
if you wrote it somewhere else, can you link, but I missed this. thought you still had little kids at home?

karen

July 25th, 2011, 3:25 pm #7

Blessings,

Bethann

Few things are worse than going to a job you HATE, or better than going to a job you LOVE.

July 25th, 2011, 3:30 pm #8

Although I'm a bit bummed today. I got my first non-100 grade back today. I missed one question on last week's test. Still, I'm enjoying being back in school. I hope to wrap up my current assignment today, as soon as that's graded I will have 2 whole college credits! Yay me! Hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

July 25th, 2011, 4:58 pm #9

I got a job offer on Friday. The problem is that it's a 45 mile commute (one way) into Baltimore. To be fair, it's as easy of a commute into the city as I could have. The last 7-8 minutes are driving on the edge of Druid Hill Park, which is a large old park with some really old trees. I'm also not sure if I want the job. It's a newly created position in the chem lab at a state university. The lab is real disorganized, and they want someone to organize and run the lab. I'd be stepping into a can of worms, and dealing with the egos of PhD's. I'd be up for the challenge if it weren't for the commute. I'm not sure I can justify 11-12 hour days or having at least 20% of my take home salary into gas for work. Then again, I'm not sure I can justify turning a job offer down.

I'm real excited someone actually wants to hire me, but I'm going back and forth..

July 25th, 2011, 5:40 pm #10

I work with Ph.Ds all day long (I run a postdoc program) and they are awesome. I don't run into many egos in my part of academia to be honest, and I've been here 17 years working with PhDs in all phases of their career. While there are a few egos, most people are great. Perhaps that has more to do with the culture of where I work, I don't know. I don't work in a university, but I also run a visitor program and come in contact with a lot of university faculty that way. Again, most are just awesome people.

Now the commute, that's another story! My commute is 35 miles each way. To be honest, I don't really mind it. The key is a dependable car and books on tape!

I say, what's the harm in giving it a try? If it doesn't work out, you'll have gained some great experience that would translate to another university/college.