What are some of the gifts you are giving.

What are some of the gifts you are giving.

December 20th, 2011, 2:54 pm #1

I always like to read other people's gift lists. Here's mine:
DH--new Norelco shaver (other one bit the dust), 3 pairs of socks, would like to think of another small gift to make 3. DD bought him 4 movie tickets at Costco and plans to help him use them up! No idea what DS is up to for his dad.

DD--3DS game system, 1-2 games (shopping for those today), homemade pajamas. DS bought her new ear buds and an I-tunes giftcard.

DS--ca$h for a new tire, a Magic Bullet blender and a skeletons and skulls potholder if I get it made, otherwise a 3/4 inch socket to replace a lost one. (He is kind of anal about his tools). DD is buying him a 1/2 day ski lift ticket.

DS's girl friend--hat and scarf to go with the down jacket DS is giving her. Her birthday is today and I got her a 1/2 day lift ticket and $15 iTunes card. Spent $35 for Christmas and $40 for birthday.

John, DD's boyfriend--we don't exchange gifts. But he and DD do. She is giving him a Red Sox jersey that we found for 40% off!

I have spent less than $5 per adult kid for stocking stuffers.

We are not football fans, but if we were, I'd be buying University of Oregon T-shirts (DH and I are alums). Oregon is going to the Rose Bowl! Go Ducks!!

Edited to add--we have spent/are spending about $580 for gifts for 3 people. Plus DH will likely spend a little under $100 on me. DS is the big receiver this year--tires don't come cheap! Only other big expense will be the prime rib @ $4.87 lb. for USDA Choice. Most of rest of dinner is already on hand.

Last edited by MaxineS on December 20th, 2011, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm #2

Time is running out quick on me! I'm SO late with all this year due to a busy work schedule.

Just got back from a dirt cheap cruise to Ensenada that I bought for my mom and myself back on mother's day!

Mom: I had the most beautiful photo of her taken on the ship printed on Canvas (57.97 for the canvas print and then you get the 8x10 free). Need to buy a frame for this 16x20 but I've seen some very nice ones at Ross for 16-19.00. I will be copying the photo for presents for my sisters and brother and a smaller size for grandkids of their grandma. It's very special, because my mom RARELY dresses herself nice enough for a pic and prefers to always be in some sort of comfy sweat outfit since she is on dialysis and COLD all the time! A nice card and a 3.00 Walmart clearance blouse.

DH: He asked for this for SIX years...I finally broke down and bought him a PS3 (bundle w/two games and remote) on Craigslist new in box for 250.00 which saved me 50.00 + tax for the exact same thing at Costco. A box of two liquor bottles purchased on the ship for 29.99. A shower head for his shower 7.99, boxers I purchased 3 mos. ago for 5.00 for a DOZEN! (great find).

DD: Curling iron - 7.99, 2 curtain rods 4.99 each, an over the door organizer thing for 6.99, a stainless steel frosting decorator pen thing - 11.99 (she loves to backe so I got this at Ross and it has a price tag of 24.00 but rang up at 11.99. Looking on Craigslist for a dresser.

There are two babies in the family and I bought them each the picture frame that has the 12 slots for each months photo. Super cute, and silverplated for 6.99!

WORK GIFTS: Chocolate dipped pretzels and a few things for my close friends, cards for everyone.

December 20th, 2011, 4:06 pm #3

DH--new Norelco shaver (other one bit the dust), 3 pairs of socks, would like to think of another small gift to make 3. DD bought him 4 movie tickets at Costco and plans to help him use them up! No idea what DS is up to for his dad.

DD--3DS game system, 1-2 games (shopping for those today), homemade pajamas. DS bought her new ear buds and an I-tunes giftcard.

DS--ca$h for a new tire, a Magic Bullet blender and a skeletons and skulls potholder if I get it made, otherwise a 3/4 inch socket to replace a lost one. (He is kind of anal about his tools). DD is buying him a 1/2 day ski lift ticket.

DS's girl friend--hat and scarf to go with the down jacket DS is giving her. Her birthday is today and I got her a 1/2 day lift ticket and $15 iTunes card. Spent $35 for Christmas and $40 for birthday.

John, DD's boyfriend--we don't exchange gifts. But he and DD do. She is giving him a Red Sox jersey that we found for 40% off!

We are not football fans, but if we were, I'd be buying University of Oregon T-shirts (DH and I are alums). Oregon is going to the Rose Bowl! Go Ducks!!

Edited to add--we have spent/are spending about $580 for gifts for 3 people. Plus DH will likely spend a little under $100 on me. DS is the big receiver this year--tires don't come cheap! Only other big expense will be the prime rib @ $4.87 lb. for USDA Choice. Most of rest of dinner is already on hand.
The adult children get 3 things

DD#1 a set of nice umbrellas, she walks several blocks to work from the parking garage, a set of hand cream she ask for, and she's sharing a printer with her sister (they live together).

DD#2, the other 'half' of the printer, a set of cuddle duds she's requested, and the scented car freshener she requested.

DD#2 beau, is getting a couple of shirts, and some pistashio's.

Ds is getting loading supplies so he can load his own ammunition - he loves to target practice, and it's $$$, a bag of pistashios... and ?

DIL - an electric blanket, tea and a pottery mug, and ???

Dh is getting a replacement key fob, and key for his truck, a battery operated toothbrush to replace the one he loves that is worn completely out

The little girls are getting their winter clothes - 6 outfits each plus a couple of fun accessories, and a necklace. Their Mom's are buying them a couple of toys.

glendaMO

December 20th, 2011, 4:23 pm #4

DH I got a drill/saw combination, 2 flannel shirts 40% off 2 coordinating carhart T's 20% off drill bits for the drill

DD Coat, 30 dollar Barnes and noble gift card, 3 DVD gotten on black friday/cyber monday Dirt cheap, slippers and fleece pants all on sale very reasonable.

DSS and his GF: They are expecting so we got them a small camera, her a cookbook and folder to make her own cook book, him fleece pants and T-shirt. I found a really good deal on a Crib Chest of drawers/changing table it should be here anytime...I was going to get these items regardless but found them for a really nice price. So they will get them for Christmas lol

Stocking stuffers are things like socks, water bottles gotten really cheap on black Friday, lotions deodorants...

Family gift exchange, I am making 2 reusable shopping bags, and going to fill one with flapjack mix and maple syrup and a lb of homemade sausage, the other pizza dough mix and a can of tomato sauce, also a lb of homemade sausage. The dough mix and flapjack mix I get from the old grist mill.. all freshly ground.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 20th, 2011, 4:45 pm #5

DH - nothing unless you count a half share in a washing machine

All kids(adult) cash and stocking containing things like packs of black socks, scarf, toiletries, car care things, book, chocolate

Grand daughter - cash and assortment of small toys - nothing full price!

1 friend who needs to know she is remembered - glass paperweight that I had stashed away for a suitable occasion. It is deep blue, one of her favourite colours. I packed this one up prettily
Last edited by Pollyuk on December 20th, 2011, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 6:28 pm #6

It's a good thing I didn't put up a tree this year. The presents below it don't amount to much, bulk-wise.

Mom: Netflix subscription (not sure cost yet...probably $100 or so)

Mom's boyfriend: Tickets to tour a local brewery and a six pack of the beer they brew. The tour tickets were free but I made up for it in effort -- the tickets are very hard to get; I had to be online at 7 am and they were gone by 7:20!

Stepmom: Theater tickets (not sure cost yet, have to wait to buy them until I clear the date with her). Her ticket will probably run $40 - $50, but I'll buy one for myself too Also bought her the CD for the show we're going to see, $12

Best Friend: Subscription to Cooks Illustrated ($19.95) and a class at the local cooking school ($75). Of course, I'll be taking the class myself too (sense a theme here?)

Best Friend's Husband: A gag gift ($20)

Best Friends' Kids (3): Each get a movie (between $10 and $15 each)

Housecleaner: $50 Amazon card + some homemade lefse

Petsitter: $50 Goldstar gift card that I got on sale for $40 (she will approve since she hates paying full price for anything!)

Cleaning Guy at work: $10. The department sent around a card for him two weeks ago. The guy is so hardworking and cheerful, and working SO HARD to improve his English (he practices on us!) I have no doubt that whatever amount ended up with that card will be most appreciated.

Hairdresser: $0. I haven't been going to her for long, and I'm not getting my hair cut until Janaury anyway

Paper Boy: $0. I had to fish my newspaper out of the snowbank a few weeks ago, and he expects a tip? Yeah, whatever.

December 20th, 2011, 7:06 pm #7

: )

Boyfriend got new glasses : ) and I bought him 2 used Cds of his favorite artist ($11 for both- one is from me, and one is from my kids) and an LED shop light I got at aldi for $14.

My Mom is getting a velour track suit ($26) and a wire/crystal crocheted necklace I made her ($4 in materials)
My Dad is getting a Patriots T-shirt ($7) and a Uconn flag ($21)
Combined gift for them both will be a framed picture of all 3 of my kids.

My Grandma is getting a $50 GC to her favorite grocery store, a framed pic of my kids and a jar mix for either soup or cookies or something... Still deciding on that, and a crocheted wire/crystal bead necklace.

My X is getting a framed picture of the kids "from them".

My oldest son (16) is getting a set of Craftsman adjustable wrenches. I got these on a great deal- sale and used a $24 Sears credit I had- $80 gift, paid $26 for it, Itunes card $25 and carhard jacket.

DS2 (10) is getting an ipod nano (bought refurbished from Apple store) ($109) and an ipod watch thing to hold the nano. Was $24 but they messed up the shipping so they credited me back the $24. A $10 itunes card and a sled (11).

DD (she turns 6 in 3 weeks) asked for a lot of little things... most of what she wanted was in the $10-20 range... she is getting a lite brite, A Pinka-licious game for her DS, Princess Clestia of my little pony fame, plus a fabric thing that slips between the mattress and box spring and hold stuff for her (might save that one for her B-day), in reach when she is in bed, oh and a box of hair stuff, 2 pack of warm winter tights($4 for both, bought at the end of last winter) and a pair of ($3) leg warmers) .

My brother is getting a trac phone card for his phone and an angel calender.

December 20th, 2011, 7:47 pm #8

Or whatever you want to call it - dustruffle storage thingy. They look really neat.

December 20th, 2011, 8:04 pm #9

Stacey got a camera lens
John got money
James got sheets and money

I'm done.

Myra in West Texas

December 20th, 2011, 9:51 pm #10

Mother:
1) sis and I are splitting the cost of a set to technique cookware form QVC (approx $106 each). Sure hope it cooks as well as the one put she bought awhile back and has been using and raving over.
2) Blood pressure machine - hope it fits her skinny wrist!
3) $9 set of old school country CDs form Walmart - she just bought her a little CD/radio combo. I might give these to my sister to give her if she hasn't found other stuff for her.

Sis: XBox 360 Biggest Loser game; a pair of convertible mittens/gloves where the thumb converts/comes uncovered (to wear delivering the mail, has to have thumb free to wear her rubber thingy); something else small that I can't recall offhand (lordy, I need some ginko!!!)

Niece: pair of khaki maternity pants to wear to work; 2 pr fuzzy socks and some BBW foot cream

Niece's DH: bullets for hunting; I might pick up a Subway card or box of candy to go with them or maybe some of those hothand things

Drake (grand-nephew): PJs and an Elmo movie/DVD (Nana got him a portable DVD player for the car)
LisaCNC