We bought a new car this year

We bought a new car this year

July 11th, 2012, 1:21 pm #1

Not frugal by any means no matter what the car. This time, I let DH do the whole car shopping routine and he ordered the new Chevy Volt. It is the MOST amazing car ever! It's like driving in the future. It seats 4 so wouldn't suit a lot of folks but there's tons of cargo space and the back bucket seats fold flat for when we go to the lumber yard or other such places. We get a huge rebate because it's a 'green' vehicle and special plates that allow us to drive in high volume lanes with just one person.

But the most important feature to all of us is the cost of fuel. In two weeks I've used 2 litres only! That's the equivalent of .9litres per 100 kilometres. My daughter's Honda civic gets 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres.

And the battery life is great on the car as well. We can drive quite a way before it automatically kicks over to the gas engine. And we can set a feature on the car to draw electric power to refuel it's battery at the lowest point in the night. But we figured it's the same as drawing power like your dryer so it isn't too bad at all.

For those that might be thinking of buying a car in the next year or two either new or used, this one is impressive.

July 11th, 2012, 3:09 pm #2

And always wanted to know if you've noticed any increase on your power bill. We pay the highest rate for power in the country (angry feelings... bitter... bitter... angry...) and wouldn't want it to just end up being a trade off.

Dh and I do talk about the Volt a lot, though! Four seats would be a lot better than the three we have now!

Edited to ask: Is this city driving, highway driving or a combination?
Last edited by KimAB on July 11th, 2012, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2012, 3:28 pm #3

Not frugal by any means no matter what the car. This time, I let DH do the whole car shopping routine and he ordered the new Chevy Volt. It is the MOST amazing car ever! It's like driving in the future. It seats 4 so wouldn't suit a lot of folks but there's tons of cargo space and the back bucket seats fold flat for when we go to the lumber yard or other such places. We get a huge rebate because it's a 'green' vehicle and special plates that allow us to drive in high volume lanes with just one person.

But the most important feature to all of us is the cost of fuel. In two weeks I've used 2 litres only! That's the equivalent of .9litres per 100 kilometres. My daughter's Honda civic gets 7.5 litres per 100 kilometres.

And the battery life is great on the car as well. We can drive quite a way before it automatically kicks over to the gas engine. And we can set a feature on the car to draw electric power to refuel it's battery at the lowest point in the night. But we figured it's the same as drawing power like your dryer so it isn't too bad at all.

For those that might be thinking of buying a car in the next year or two either new or used, this one is impressive.
Those are exceptional cars!! So is it a pretty comfortable ride? It looks to be bigger than a prius. That's cool you got one!!

July 11th, 2012, 3:33 pm #4

Looks like a good car to me, and I am a Chevy girl!

July 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm #5

And always wanted to know if you've noticed any increase on your power bill. We pay the highest rate for power in the country (angry feelings... bitter... bitter... angry...) and wouldn't want it to just end up being a trade off.

Dh and I do talk about the Volt a lot, though! Four seats would be a lot better than the three we have now!

Edited to ask: Is this city driving, highway driving or a combination?
the car switches over automatically to gas engine when the battery runs dry. And then everytime you take your foot off the accelerator or stop at a stop sign/red light it generates more battery power. So when the light goes green you are back on battery for a bit.

It will be interesting to see what the resale value will be in a year or so or if any come on the market for resale at all.

July 11th, 2012, 3:56 pm #6

Those are exceptional cars!! So is it a pretty comfortable ride? It looks to be bigger than a prius. That's cool you got one!!
lots of head room, window space etc. And it is as comfy as our aging Jag and has just as much power on the highway

July 11th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

Looks like a good car to me, and I am a Chevy girl!
We're huge GM fans here and like the looks of the Volt. We recently looked at all the ev's available before we bought a little two seater ev last month. Dh wanted a car that was 100% electric so that nixed the Volt for us.

Kim, you asked about an increase in electric bills with an ev. For us, we haven't had an increase as we have a 7.19 kw solar system on our house. It's enough for all our household needs, the car as well as some excess that will get sold to our electric company. Our car uses 24 kw's per charge. It would cost about $2.88 to charge it if we paid for the electricity plus taxes/fees. The range of our car is up to 100 miles. It would cost about $13 - $17 to go the same distance in one of our ICE cars. So, the savings are pretty huge.

Here in MD you pay no sales tax ( up to 2k ) on ev's and get the hov exemption also. Plus the $7500 federal tax credit. We'll also get a 30% tax credit on our MD taxes for our level 2 charger.

It's so much fun to drive past gas stations now and not have to pull in. ( or give OPEC $$ lol )

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.

July 11th, 2012, 4:52 pm #8

I'd love to have one of those!

July 12th, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

We're huge GM fans here and like the looks of the Volt. We recently looked at all the ev's available before we bought a little two seater ev last month. Dh wanted a car that was 100% electric so that nixed the Volt for us.

Kim, you asked about an increase in electric bills with an ev. For us, we haven't had an increase as we have a 7.19 kw solar system on our house. It's enough for all our household needs, the car as well as some excess that will get sold to our electric company. Our car uses 24 kw's per charge. It would cost about $2.88 to charge it if we paid for the electricity plus taxes/fees. The range of our car is up to 100 miles. It would cost about $13 - $17 to go the same distance in one of our ICE cars. So, the savings are pretty huge.

Here in MD you pay no sales tax ( up to 2k ) on ev's and get the hov exemption also. Plus the $7500 federal tax credit. We'll also get a 30% tax credit on our MD taxes for our level 2 charger.

It's so much fun to drive past gas stations now and not have to pull in. ( or give OPEC $$ lol )

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.
on a single charge? That is about 3-4 weeks of city driving for us!

Do you need a special plug?

July 12th, 2012, 4:19 pm #10

I'd get home from work and have to hope to be able to charge it enough in the 15 minutes we eat dinner to make it back and forth to/from girl scouts.

and I'd have to get the house rewired. or run electric to the garage. I doubt my 80 yo wiring could handle it.

I'm also curious to see the overall environmental impact comparisons, the electricity has to be generated and transported after all, while i'm sure it's more green than oil/gasoline; i'm still just curioius about the complete comparison. I'd've never thought that cardboard egg cartons are actually worse for the environment than styrofoam but they are. it's fun reading!