Water saving tips from the Frugal Queen

Water saving tips from the Frugal Queen

July 3rd, 2011, 8:57 pm #1

This link is to Froogs' July 3 post on saving water. She lives in Cornwall, England, but her tips are good for anyone trying to reduce water consumption.http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/

July 3rd, 2011, 9:27 pm #2

A rain barrel?

We've talked here before about catching shower water in a bucket. Does anyone here do that? How do you carry it outside without sloshing it on the floor? Or pour it into the toilet without making a mess?

I'm also curious how she fills a bucket with the water from the washer. Seems like the force of the water would splash out unless the top of the container was sealed around the drain hose. I am interested in that one though.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 4th, 2011, 12:27 am #3

If you have questions, leave them as a comment. She will often answer questions. Or, Polly--who is also a major water-saver--might have some ideas.

July 4th, 2011, 6:13 am #4

A rain barrel?

We've talked here before about catching shower water in a bucket. Does anyone here do that? How do you carry it outside without sloshing it on the floor? Or pour it into the toilet without making a mess?

I'm also curious how she fills a bucket with the water from the washer. Seems like the force of the water would splash out unless the top of the container was sealed around the drain hose. I am interested in that one though.

------
Is just a water barrel with a tap at the bottom - we have 6 around the garden as well as making use of assorted bins and buckets when a good rain harvest is due.
As for the collecting water in the shower - we always do this, and then use the water for toilet flushing, so there is no carrying ( apart from a few feet across the room)
If you pour in a good steady stream towards the front of the pan, nothing spills

As for the washing machine I think you need to have a machine that isn't fully plumbed in - one where you hook the outlet pipes over the sink?? I can't help on that one.
Last edited by Pollyuk on July 4th, 2011, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 4th, 2011, 12:23 pm #5

A rain barrel?

------
that there are actually places where a rain barrel is illegal????

amazing.

Myra in West Texas

July 4th, 2011, 3:31 pm #6

Where? That is ridiculous!

July 4th, 2011, 3:46 pm #7

that there are actually places where a rain barrel is illegal????

amazing.

Myra in West Texas
I wanted to move to CO or NM until I heard that.

------

July 5th, 2011, 10:22 am #8

This link is to Froogs' July 3 post on saving water. She lives in Cornwall, England, but her tips are good for anyone trying to reduce water consumption.http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
She really has given me some fresh ideas about frugality, gardening, saving the planet : )

July 5th, 2011, 4:06 pm #9

A rain barrel?

------
again a story from my childhood:

Mom's house has a septic system with a "drainfield". which with five people in the house would often be saturated. We didn't have the $ to put in new (plus by then you had to put in a "turkey mound" - butt ugly hill type thing in the middle of your yard)

The washer hose, where the water empties out, is just slung into the drain pipe. I've never lived anywhere that it was hard plumbed. dad rigged a second drain from the utility sink, through the garge wall, to a hose spigot. Mom just drained the water out the end of the driveway so it'd run into the gully and down the hill, soaking into the ground there instead of into our drainfield. dad had an on/off valve on the spigot too, so that you could back up the wash water into the sink. which we'd do if we had to use the laundry room toilet, (scoop a bucket of water out of the sink) or if mom had something nasty greasy to soak, or to soak the bbq grills. If she soaked something gross, she'd let the water out through the regular drain to go through the septic.

it would have been pretty easy to have that hose drain into a rainbarrell, right in the garage even would have worked. sometimes we'd wash a car with the laundry water. but usually it just went into the woods. (bleach loads went down the regular drainpipe. and she always used biodegradable, non sudsing detergent.)

July 5th, 2011, 7:50 pm #10

Where? That is ridiculous!
and in some places it is even illegal to use water the second time, as in catching it in the tub for your garden.

that is just nuts.

of course they'd have to catch you

here we can run our laundry water onto the yard. in fact when I made the plumber test the lines to see if I could drain it into the sewer line if I wanted to, he did then said, There, you just wasted five gallons of water. LOL

Myra in West Texas