vegetarian dinner ideas for Sandy

vegetarian dinner ideas for Sandy

March 15th, 2012, 1:08 pm #1

Let's brainstorm our best vegetarian ideas! I know there are some on the recipe board.... are you looking for dairy free, or are milk products ok?

My family's favorites are:
pizza
Meatless enchiladas
Rice and beans (made with sofrito so it's good....)
Lentils and rice
Mac and cheese
Frittata with lots of veggies
Stuffed shells
breakfast for dinner
quiche
Last edited by SheilaPCT on March 15th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2012, 4:04 pm #2

We eat most of those things already, but dh confessed to not liking lentils last week. I've made lentil soup infrequently for the 5 years or so, and now he tells me!

What is sofrito?

March 15th, 2012, 4:28 pm #3

something you make in the blender or Cuisinart- you combine olive oil, garlic, onion, peppers (hot or regular bell, depending on what you like) lots of cilantro- stems and all, and a little water if your blender or cuisinart needs it- until it looks like pesto.

Then when you are going to make rice and beans you put a little oil in the pan, add 2 or 3 heaping TBS of this stuff and fry it for a minute- but don't burn it, then add your rice/water/beans. It makes it taste soooo much better!

March 15th, 2012, 9:03 pm #4

I love cilantro, but dh doesn't, so I'd have to serve it as a condiment instead of cooking it with the beans. I buy cilantro occasionally to make salad dressing - usually cilantro, olive oil, garlic and lime juice. I'll have to try this next time.

March 16th, 2012, 12:59 am #5

I would cook it tho, it mellows all the other flavors and makes it so good.... just go light ont he cilantro. Somehow when you cook it it loses that soapy flavor. my X detested cilantro ( I love it....) and in the cooked sofrito he never noticed it....