$30 a week grocery Book revisted... /Food Budgeting....

$30 a week grocery Book revisted... /Food Budgeting....

November 17th, 2010, 12:01 pm #1

Well my budget is about to take another hit... (yeah.... : ( so I have been thinking once again back to the $30 a week grocery book by Donna McKenna... a while back I think we decided we could do her plan, in todays money for about $50 a week... or maybe $60 if we up the veggies and fruits a bit- an area most of us commented we felt was a little light on her plan... but that was before this most recent round of inflation, if memory serves...

I think I have been spending about $70 a week (including the value of the WIC stuff my daughter gets). DDs WIC ends next month, she is turning 5, so that is almost over. I have been stock piling the stuff- milk- cheese, bread, peanut butter and freezing what I can't use right away... So that will carry me for a little while.

I guess I am just hoping to hold it at $70 a week,or better yet, see if I can get it to $60 a week... and yes, that does include toiletries, what paper goods I buy and some convenience foods.

Anyone else trying to follow this kind of eating plan/budget? I am feeding me (one adult with some dietary restriction),a 9 year old boy who has recently developed quite an appetite but who has sensory issues and can't eat any "gooey stuff"... and a 5 year old, rather picky girl who just LOVES fresh fruit...

Of course I buy meat/fruit/veggies all on sale... soon-to-be X and I decided to renew the Costco membership together a while back so that is done and paid for and I buy toilet paper there (also worth the membershop for glasses for me) and a few other things. I am trying to use more beans. I'm starting to use TVP again... My kids do not like sprouts so I am not sprouting these days. I shop Aldi and have found they are better priced than Angel Food- at least for me and what we eat...

Any thoughts, comments? How is your food budget looking these days?

November 17th, 2010, 1:43 pm #2

Even with saving $20 a week or so using coupons, I am still spending upward of $200 a week on nine people. A couple of those people rarely eat at home. So, really, I'm spending over $50 a week per person! That includes all toiletries, household supplies, etc. Do you know if the $30/week budget is food only?

There are a whole number of places I could cut corners. It's more a matter of changing taste buds and my family's eating habits. I will have to work harder at organizing my time so that I am cooking from scratch and baking treats more often, to help transition my family from easy-fix meals and store bought granola bars to cheaper (and healthier) alternatives.

I like the hillbilly housewife site for menu plans for low budgets, but most of them I can't eat. That means making food for my family and food for me, which is a pain. And I am finding now that when I cook with gluten foods, even if I don't eat them, touching them and breathing them can make me sick, too. (Thank you, Kim, for bringing that to my attention!)

I am stocking up this week on some items. Meijer has their brand of frozen veggies--just basics--for .89 a one-pound bag. Meijer canned veggies are .39 each. Flour is finally down, too, although not as cheap as you found last week. We've picked up a few of those things, but I want to get more and put them in the pantry and freezer. Frozen veggies and fruits have almost as much nutritional value as fresh, and are much, much cheaper.

We eat a lot of bananas and apples here. I'd like to expand that for my family. But we like everything so dang sweet. Gotta change those taste buds.

All the best to you! Let us in on any good tips you find or any new strategies you discover! Thanks for the reminder!

ba

November 17th, 2010, 3:14 pm #3

Well my budget is about to take another hit... (yeah.... : ( so I have been thinking once again back to the $30 a week grocery book by Donna McKenna... a while back I think we decided we could do her plan, in todays money for about $50 a week... or maybe $60 if we up the veggies and fruits a bit- an area most of us commented we felt was a little light on her plan... but that was before this most recent round of inflation, if memory serves...

I think I have been spending about $70 a week (including the value of the WIC stuff my daughter gets). DDs WIC ends next month, she is turning 5, so that is almost over. I have been stock piling the stuff- milk- cheese, bread, peanut butter and freezing what I can't use right away... So that will carry me for a little while.

I guess I am just hoping to hold it at $70 a week,or better yet, see if I can get it to $60 a week... and yes, that does include toiletries, what paper goods I buy and some convenience foods.

Anyone else trying to follow this kind of eating plan/budget? I am feeding me (one adult with some dietary restriction),a 9 year old boy who has recently developed quite an appetite but who has sensory issues and can't eat any "gooey stuff"... and a 5 year old, rather picky girl who just LOVES fresh fruit...

Of course I buy meat/fruit/veggies all on sale... soon-to-be X and I decided to renew the Costco membership together a while back so that is done and paid for and I buy toilet paper there (also worth the membershop for glasses for me) and a few other things. I am trying to use more beans. I'm starting to use TVP again... My kids do not like sprouts so I am not sprouting these days. I shop Aldi and have found they are better priced than Angel Food- at least for me and what we eat...

For me that is $600 (ish!) per month. This month it is closer to $700, but I was sick. Have you noticed that being sick increases your food budget? My youngest is 16 so I'm feeding 3 adults, one teenage boy + the neighbour kid that lives with us on weekends.

>>or maybe $60 if we up the veggies and fruits a bit- an area most of us commented we felt was a little light on her plan... but that was before this most recent round of inflation, if memory serves... >>

We usually buy a case of fruit every other week. In the summer we might buy more than one case. Like when nectarines were on sale we bought a case plus a case of apples. Potatoes were on sale last week ($2.99/ 20 lbs - which is practically FREE) We have a saying right now when people ask what is for supper I answer, I don't know. What do you want on your baked potato?

We eat canned beans (they were on sale and are my convenience food), assorted veggies, salsa (which we buy in bulk many gallons at a time)and whatever else we want on the potatoes. Sort of like a taco and each person makes their own.

Meat is free - as in dh's family hunts and we only eat free meat. Sometimes we go crazy and buy a chicken, but not usually.

>>a 9 year old boy who has recently developed quite an appetite but who has sensory issues and can't eat any "gooey stuff"...>>

Does that mean crunchy food? Here we call it 'mush' - ripe fruit would be an example of 'mush'- fruit must crunch. I made a lit of 'favourite' food (it is really acceptable food, though) so when time, energy or patience is short I can open the cupboard and read the list. That helps things get better faster.

I also eat avocado and red peppers nearly year round. I don't care if they are in season and I don't care what they cost. The caveat to that is I won't buy peppers that are world travellers. 75% of our diet is fruit and vegetables. We eat nuts and seeds every day (1/4 cup servings) I always buy the apples or oranges that are on sale. There is always one type that is 99 cents a lb instead of $1.99/ lb- that is what I buy a case of. Whatever vegetables are the cheapest that is what I buy a lot of. I still might buy other things, but they don't make up the bulk of our fruit and veg.

I'm sure I could get the food budget lower if we ate potatoes, onions, carrots and apples, oranges, bananas. But I don't want to. I'm sure my ancestors were glad to eat potato for every meal and nothing else, but expect to live past 40. There is recession/ depression (and I'm in it!) but I want to still have teeth ten years from now... And not be overweight. And still have a GF/ CF cookie once in a while... GF oats is $3.50 for 680 grams which is a pound and a half (??)and I pay it. We can not tolerate regular oatmeal so we pay it.

>>Any thoughts, comments? How is your food budget looking these days? >>

Half of what it was this time two years ago and most of the time I think that is just fine. Low enough! That figure includes everything a person would use in the house - toilet paper, dog food, OTC medication, tea.

November 17th, 2010, 4:29 pm #4

for five, kids have cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, with yogurt, a couple cookies, maybe chips too. and juice boxes. Dh cooks for dinner mostly from scratch.

we use coupons and buy on sale - the receipt usually shows we've saved 30% - this week at target we got some super saver food items and saved 70% - that was fun to see. (betty crocker boxed flavored instant potatos with sale and coupon came to 29 cents a box - that's a nickel a serving - cheaper than real potatoes!)

We haven't got a big freezer or alot of pantry space so we can't stock up like we want when we see obscene prices (like 99 cent 5 lb bag of flour this week - or $1.69 for nestle choc chips, and we had $1.00 off 3 coupons so we bought 6 bags of choc chips!) Flour is usually $2.99 and Choc chips $3 or more; so i'll find room for that (i JUST opened the last flour i got at this sale last year!)

I have to have bananas in the house and don't care what it costs (59 cents/lb though the "day old" ones get packaged up at 29 cents/lb and are good for a day or two before they have to become banbna bread.) we are not big on fresh veggies as frozen and canned are so much cheaper. two of us love bananas, we'll tolerate grapes when they're on super sale under $2 a pound, and apples are crazy cheap right now (don't laugh Maxine) at $1.19/lb, We really need to find more friends with an apple tree!

There is definitely too much junk food in our house, and plenty of room for coupon improvement. Meal planning and consistant flyer/coupon coordination could probably cut another $20-$30 off our grocery bill.

November 18th, 2010, 11:01 am #5

Your post made me come to my senses on one thing! My DD eats a yogurt every day for breakfast... she goes thru phases (she is 4, turning 5 in January).... It reminded me that while I still have lots of milk (thanks WIC) that I should really pull out the yogurt maker and make that kid her breakfast yogurt. Since she is eating it at home, I don't have to worry about her losing those special little yogurt containers.

Ds right now is eating cereal, which is ok by me... I still get that thru WIc and we are pretty well stocked on it (4 or 5 boxes more in the pantry) because he had been ina pahse of not eating it) with 2 more boxes to come in November and December, before WIC ends. For lunches DD eats either crackers and cheese or a PBJ daily. Again- I'm stocked on peanut butter with another one to come this month and next...

Dinners I just buy sales meats and veggies and fill in with rice, corn or potatos.

This past week a local store was selling containers of Raspberries 2/$3. I bought 2 and put some in DDs lunch, she came home that day sooooo surpised, lol! I ate some too- what a treat, this time of year, at THAT price, and they were yummy!

BA- I can't recall if her menu included non foods... I want to say I am pretty sure it did because I recall her talking about buying deoderant and shampoo for $1 each. Shampoo I can still get for that, but deoderant, the best price I see now a days is sales for 2/$ or $1.79 if I get really low and buy it at Aldi- but that is for the big container. Toilet paper- i still get at Costco like once or twice a year. Last time I needed some the kids dad and I bought it and split it. I don't use a lot of papertowels. I do use Ziplock type bags... I bought some at the dollar sotre but they were not good- they ripped apart when you try to open them. I usually get those at Aldi but try to get very few- I try to reuse them as long as they did not hold meat or wet stuff. I also try to use my small containers to hold small amounts of things like if I send the kids to school with pretzels or something. I also have a few reusable sandwich holders that I try to use. Paper towells I use very few of. I just keep a dishtowel folded on toop of the paper towel holder, so it's the first thing we grab. I used to buy the paper towels at Costco too but last time I was there I just could not see shelling out that kind of money for the case...

November 18th, 2010, 2:20 pm #6

just bought what I wanted. Don't really know what I used to spend and don't know now. What I do know is its lots lower mainly because I stay out of the store. We use to go to sams 3 or 4 times a month, spending over $100 each time. Now we go once a month when we need dog food, last week we spent $125. And we went to the grocery store once a week, spending anywhere from $50 to $100. Some weeks I don't even step into the store.

The difference now is we eat all meals at home and make good use of leftovers. We are not too picky so what ever is on sale is what we eat. Lately that has been potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, jalapenos(using these like green peppers just trim out the seeds.) Whole chickens were on a good sale and we bought 12. One week pork was on sale another roast. Our freezer is stocked so we just need to pick up milk, eggs and such which has kept our bill low this month. We have 2 turkeys from last year so no matter how great the sale I'm not buying. Our dinner will be made from what is here and there will be plenty.

A big area that has changed is the way I shop. Last week I looked at all the ads and even cut some coupons to match, had the list ready. But you know I never made it by the store. And when I looked at my list I found it was stuff I really didn't need, even on sale with coupon. Like canned cherries, we like to use them for pie. But we like chess pie too and I already have everything here to make it without going to the store. I've also been shopping at a small local store that has good buys but limited selection. So we have been having good simple meals.

I have also been cooking more. This morning I trying out a new roll recipe, breads are not really my strong suit but I have been practicing. And no one seems to mind the mess up too much.LOL

So like in other areas in my household if I need/want anything I see what I can do with what is here first. This has made a big difference in how much I spend on food. Though if you ask me last year if I could save on my groceries I would have said I don't think so. The truth is I could and did cut and its not so bad. Though it didn't happen over night and took a major change in attitude.

November 18th, 2010, 2:27 pm #7

Your post made me come to my senses on one thing! My DD eats a yogurt every day for breakfast... she goes thru phases (she is 4, turning 5 in January).... It reminded me that while I still have lots of milk (thanks WIC) that I should really pull out the yogurt maker and make that kid her breakfast yogurt. Since she is eating it at home, I don't have to worry about her losing those special little yogurt containers.

Ds right now is eating cereal, which is ok by me... I still get that thru WIc and we are pretty well stocked on it (4 or 5 boxes more in the pantry) because he had been ina pahse of not eating it) with 2 more boxes to come in November and December, before WIC ends. For lunches DD eats either crackers and cheese or a PBJ daily. Again- I'm stocked on peanut butter with another one to come this month and next...

Dinners I just buy sales meats and veggies and fill in with rice, corn or potatos.

This past week a local store was selling containers of Raspberries 2/$3. I bought 2 and put some in DDs lunch, she came home that day sooooo surpised, lol! I ate some too- what a treat, this time of year, at THAT price, and they were yummy!

BA- I can't recall if her menu included non foods... I want to say I am pretty sure it did because I recall her talking about buying deoderant and shampoo for $1 each. Shampoo I can still get for that, but deoderant, the best price I see now a days is sales for 2/$ or $1.79 if I get really low and buy it at Aldi- but that is for the big container. Toilet paper- i still get at Costco like once or twice a year. Last time I needed some the kids dad and I bought it and split it. I don't use a lot of papertowels. I do use Ziplock type bags... I bought some at the dollar sotre but they were not good- they ripped apart when you try to open them. I usually get those at Aldi but try to get very few- I try to reuse them as long as they did not hold meat or wet stuff. I also try to use my small containers to hold small amounts of things like if I send the kids to school with pretzels or something. I also have a few reusable sandwich holders that I try to use. Paper towells I use very few of. I just keep a dishtowel folded on toop of the paper towel holder, so it's the first thing we grab. I used to buy the paper towels at Costco too but last time I was there I just could not see shelling out that kind of money for the case...
we had one for each kid when they cost $1. they died before 100 uses, and i can get a box of 100 sandwich baggies for $1, so we did not replace the sandwich boxes.

Deodorant - we had coupons and CVS bogo sale, bought Peanut butter on sale there with coupons - got extra bucks from that, that paid for four deodorants (with coupons) I think we got 6 jars of PB and the 4 deodorants for $6 cash. We don't usually do the CVS thing - but their sale and our coupons just happened to match up this week.

Coupons and sales - dh never spends more than $1.50 for a box of cereal, on any given day there are 15 boxes of cereal in our house. (it's been as bad as 27! our store had a special buy 6 kellogs get $10 off your next order, kellog was 4 for $10 and he had $6 in coupons. $9 for 6 boxes of cereal and $10 off next purchase.... which i think we used for Post cereal the next week at 4/10 plus using coupons got a free gallon of milk... If all we ever ate was cereal - we'd be eating for $5 a week! LOL!

November 18th, 2010, 2:31 pm #8

Keeping a dishtowel folded on top of the paper towel roll!

November 18th, 2010, 2:37 pm #9

DH won't be tempted to use something else if there's one RIGHT THERE. the problem is getting him to replace it after each use... since he's the one home all day... hmmmm....

November 18th, 2010, 2:49 pm #10

I keep a box full of holey socks in front of the paper towels under the sink. Everyone knows why they're there and we're down to using paper towels mostly for draining bacon. I keep the socks inside out so after they're washed I remember they're rags and they don't end up in someone's drawer again! They also work better inside out.