Turkey dark meat - what to do with it/how to cook?

Turkey dark meat - what to do with it/how to cook?

November 14th, 2011, 10:56 pm #1

So far, I have not found any good deals at all on turkey breast. The best I have found is $2.29 lb (not even Butterball!!!). I am cosidering buying a whole turkey and cutting off the leg/thigh (wings can stay on, not an issue). I've not been a fan of cooking then legs as the whole turekey because they always come out dry and weird tasting.

So, what's soemthing good to do w/ the leg quarters? Should I boil them like you do a chicken and pick the meat off? Roast them seperately so they don't dry out? Cook in the crockpot? Most likely we'll be doing a frozen turkey, so I can't re-freeze w/o cooking them. We don't have real butchers at the markets here anymore (most meat comes in prepackaged now), so I can't get them to saw them off while still frozen, either.
LisaCNC

November 15th, 2011, 1:06 am #2

or turkey & noodles. You could also pick off the meat and make turkey tacos or a pot pie. Pretty much anything you would do with cooked chicken.

November 15th, 2011, 2:26 am #3

So far, I have not found any good deals at all on turkey breast. The best I have found is $2.29 lb (not even Butterball!!!). I am cosidering buying a whole turkey and cutting off the leg/thigh (wings can stay on, not an issue). I've not been a fan of cooking then legs as the whole turekey because they always come out dry and weird tasting.

So, what's soemthing good to do w/ the leg quarters? Should I boil them like you do a chicken and pick the meat off? Roast them seperately so they don't dry out? Cook in the crockpot? Most likely we'll be doing a frozen turkey, so I can't re-freeze w/o cooking them. We don't have real butchers at the markets here anymore (most meat comes in prepackaged now), so I can't get them to saw them off while still frozen, either.
Roasted covered with foil so they stay moist.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 15th, 2011, 1:51 pm #4

or turkey & noodles. You could also pick off the meat and make turkey tacos or a pot pie. Pretty much anything you would do with cooked chicken.
Boil it, crockpot? I could use the pressure cooker; that should keep it from drying out, right?
LisaCNC

November 15th, 2011, 1:54 pm #5

------
Same for chicken or turkey. It's just weird. It's that fatty, slimy stuff that's in a thigh, blech!
LisaCNC

November 15th, 2011, 2:50 pm #6

Boil it, crockpot? I could use the pressure cooker; that should keep it from drying out, right?
I would roast it until its just barely done,(dry meat is from being over done, and dark meat has more fat so it tends not to dry out as much), take meat off the bones and set aside.. put bones soup pot barely cover with water, add celery and onion and cook. That will give you the start for many good casseroles, pot pies and so on.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

November 15th, 2011, 3:07 pm #7

or turkey BBQ is what I usually do with them....

November 15th, 2011, 6:02 pm #8

------
I love the bags - I use them, and cook to their directions, which are specific to the weight of the bird/roast/loin and always have sucess with that.

If you opt to remove the legs and cook them seperate, I'd still use the bag - and cook to weight on the packaging. Remove the meat from the bone, and use it in soup, casseroles...
glendaMO

November 15th, 2011, 7:04 pm #9

and I second making enchilladas. I would simply put the legs and whatever else in the crockpot is you have one big enough and let them cook away with some broth. The broth can be used for soup, gravy, mashed potato instead of milk or whatever.

November 17th, 2011, 1:24 am #10

We prefer poultry to make "pulled pork". First I'd par boil them, remove the bones. Place the meat in a crockpot, add a bottle of BBQ and let simmer all day. Shred, serve with coleslaw on buns, side of pork beans. Yum!