Trashpicked "find"

Trashpicked "find"

May 20th, 2011, 8:03 pm #1

Hoo-boy!

Let me preface this by saying that I rarely trashpick, because I never see anything worth taking. However, I was driving down the street today and noticed what appeared to be a red wool blanket on top of a garbage can waiting for pick-up. (Don't ask me how I can spot wool blankets from a mile away, but I can). I made a mental note to stop on my way home, then it occurred to me--what if the garbage truck comes first??? So I made a U-turn, went back, and grabbed the blanket. A quick look told me there was at least one hole in it.

So, what did I get? Only a genuine red Hudson's Bay 3-1/2 point (twin) blanket with one small hole in the middle! New, they sell for $250-$350 each!! This one isn't in perfect condition, but it ain't bad. I'll get Mary to darn the hole for me when she is up here next month to help me make curtains. Originally, I thought we'd have to patch it...but it is small enough to darn, and I even have the bright red darning yarn.

Now, make of this what you will: yesterday I passed on going to the Pendleton Woolen Mills outlet to look at blankets because I couldn't afford to buy. Today I found one that's at least as good, albeit slightly damaged. Is this a sign???? A metaphor for my life, LOL???? ("slightly damaged").

Here is a tip: The last two weeks of May in a college town are absolutely the best time and place to trashpick. Take a walk past the dumpsters of apartment complexes on Saturdays and Sundays as well as May 31. This didn't come out of a college apartment, but from a house that has a more or less continuous yard sale going. I can't believe they didn't have a clue that this was worth $$$. It was on top of a can full of really nasty old bedding.

Have you trashpicked anything good lately?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Max

Last edited by MaxineS on May 20th, 2011, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2011, 9:31 pm #2

Every spring when I helped dd move out of her dorm, we got a few cheap things that people just left in the halls, but colleges now have a donation area that kids are supposed to bring their stuff to, and I bet a lot of the good stuff goes there.

I haven't trash picked anything in a long time - partly because I'm trying to move stuff out, not in. But that blanket fit in your plan perfectly.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 23rd, 2011, 11:20 am #3

Hoo-boy!

Let me preface this by saying that I rarely trashpick, because I never see anything worth taking. However, I was driving down the street today and noticed what appeared to be a red wool blanket on top of a garbage can waiting for pick-up. (Don't ask me how I can spot wool blankets from a mile away, but I can). I made a mental note to stop on my way home, then it occurred to me--what if the garbage truck comes first??? So I made a U-turn, went back, and grabbed the blanket. A quick look told me there was at least one hole in it.

So, what did I get? Only a genuine red Hudson's Bay 3-1/2 point (twin) blanket with one small hole in the middle! New, they sell for $250-$350 each!! This one isn't in perfect condition, but it ain't bad. I'll get Mary to darn the hole for me when she is up here next month to help me make curtains. Originally, I thought we'd have to patch it...but it is small enough to darn, and I even have the bright red darning yarn.

Now, make of this what you will: yesterday I passed on going to the Pendleton Woolen Mills outlet to look at blankets because I couldn't afford to buy. Today I found one that's at least as good, albeit slightly damaged. Is this a sign???? A metaphor for my life, LOL???? ("slightly damaged").

Here is a tip: The last two weeks of May in a college town are absolutely the best time and place to trashpick. Take a walk past the dumpsters of apartment complexes on Saturdays and Sundays as well as May 31. This didn't come out of a college apartment, but from a house that has a more or less continuous yard sale going. I can't believe they didn't have a clue that this was worth $$$. It was on top of a can full of really nasty old bedding.

Max
I have not "gleaned" anything ina while... Freecycle has been quiet as well- part of the problem there is that we have grown so big, that it's hard to get in on an offer...

You did well! but one thing I would worry about is bed bugs... it's all over the news, in my little city, they have become a really big problem... can you wash wool on hot? I don't think so....

May 23rd, 2011, 3:36 pm #4

They are killed by dry cleaning, aren't they? I had actually considered having this cleaned because of the black spot, which I think is grease...bed bugs would be extra incentive to spend the money. (They don't seem to be a big deal in my part of the country, but you never know how others live). This blanket is definitely worth the $8-$9 dry cleaning would cost. After washing and brushing, it's beautiful.

May 24th, 2011, 12:59 pm #5

...heat and cold. If your freezer has enough room you could freeze it for 24 hours. And I think the temp at which they die is 110 degrees. I think...

Good find Max.

Well, I just did a search and it appears the temp needs to be below zero and above either 110 or 120, depending on what site you check.

They may have thrown out all the bedding because of bed bugs. Don't take the blanket into the house or leave it in your vehicle. Put it in a plastic bag and check into it.
Last edited by Linda_OH on May 24th, 2011, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 24th, 2011, 1:21 pm #6

in a plastic bag, in the sun.

gets pretty darn hot in there!

Myra in West Texas

May 24th, 2011, 7:40 pm #7

...heat and cold. If your freezer has enough room you could freeze it for 24 hours. And I think the temp at which they die is 110 degrees. I think...

Good find Max.

Well, I just did a search and it appears the temp needs to be below zero and above either 110 or 120, depending on what site you check.

They may have thrown out all the bedding because of bed bugs. Don't take the blanket into the house or leave it in your vehicle. Put it in a plastic bag and check into it.
I'm freezing the little buggers! Assuming I have them, and I make no such assumption (I know they are practically epidemic in some parts of the country, but haven't heard of them here). I wrapped the blanket in a plastic cleaner's bag, taped it shut and put it in the freezer at below zero. The only problem is, it's been in my house since Friday, so keep your fingers crossed....

May 24th, 2011, 11:40 pm #8

Hoo-boy!

Max
blog post.
Missy

http://westcoastcrafty.wordpress.com/20 ... patchwork/

May 24th, 2011, 11:57 pm #9

The best one, IMO, is in Washougal, WA (just across the Columbia River from the Portland airport) but the one on McLoughlin Blvd. is good for fabric and the one in Pendleton, OR, has a good selection of blankets (not much fabric, but lots of clothing). I've got a couple of 2-yard lengths of Pendleton wool Mary bought me quite a few years ago...would love to make an afghan. It is 60 inches wide. My mom said she always loved to sew Pendleton wool because you didn't even have to pin it together. It's just beautiful, beautiful wool. I have had a "thing" for Pendleton since I was in high school. Between the outlet in Washougal and a mother that sewed, I wore it a LOT.

May 27th, 2011, 1:22 am #10

but I have never even seen it. lol
Being from Tx we don't do wool very often.
Now being in AZ I could use some.
Missy