Totally OT--embarrassing moments with kids. What were yours?

Totally OT--embarrassing moments with kids. What were yours?

February 14th, 2011, 5:18 am #1

DS coaches Special Olympics downhill skiing. They ride a gondola for 20 minutes to get to the ski area. Today, he and a cute, snappy little 9-year-old girl with Down's shared a car with someone who appeared to be a female body builder. The body builder was as masculine as she was feminine, and could have ripped DS apart. The little girl, Lori Anne, asked, "Hey, are you a man or a woman?" After being told that she was a woman (and being shushed by DS), she piped up, "Then why do you have whiskers??" (More shushing, LOL). Out of the mouths of babes--DS said he would have cheerfully jumped out of the gondola right then.

"Now you know how I felt," DH reminded him when DS told us the story tonight. When DS was 3 years old, DH took him to the showers at a campground. He escaped to the next stall and asked, "Hey, man, you got a penis?" DH got him out of there QUICK. It is one of our most cherished family stories, LOL.

I'm sure we've all had embarrassing moments with kids--what were yours?

February 14th, 2011, 5:48 am #2

When oldest DS was 2 we were out to eat with my BIL and a family friend. I had a salad and it came out with these big red onion rings on it. I sat them aside since I didnt care for them. DS grabbed one and flung it over his shoulder. I hear the lady behind us let out a "EEEPPPPP" sound. It went down the back of her shirt! I could have melted into a emabrrased puddle then. I told her I was so sorry. Her hubby was laughing and she said it was ok. I know my face was red the whole time we were eating. LOL

February 14th, 2011, 12:12 pm #3

DS coaches Special Olympics downhill skiing. They ride a gondola for 20 minutes to get to the ski area. Today, he and a cute, snappy little 9-year-old girl with Down's shared a car with someone who appeared to be a female body builder. The body builder was as masculine as she was feminine, and could have ripped DS apart. The little girl, Lori Anne, asked, "Hey, are you a man or a woman?" After being told that she was a woman (and being shushed by DS), she piped up, "Then why do you have whiskers??" (More shushing, LOL). Out of the mouths of babes--DS said he would have cheerfully jumped out of the gondola right then.

"Now you know how I felt," DH reminded him when DS told us the story tonight. When DS was 3 years old, DH took him to the showers at a campground. He escaped to the next stall and asked, "Hey, man, you got a penis?" DH got him out of there QUICK. It is one of our most cherished family stories, LOL.

When ds was about 2 1/2 I had him in the department store with me while shopping for bras. He picked up this lacey bra as I was paying for my purchases and said, "Daddy has one just like this." For the record, his daddy does not wear bras. I have no idea where that came from, and had no idea what on earth to say to the cashier. Very embarrassing. Dh thought it was pretty funny.

When dd was 3, we were in Walmart looking at clothes. Nearby, there was another couple with a little boy. The couple was young and covered in piercings and tattoos. Their faces had nose rings and those bolts on their eye brows. She took one look at them and said VERY LOUDLY while pointing, "Mommy!!! Look!!! Look how ugly they are!" I immediately pushed the cart to another area of the store far, far away.

February 14th, 2011, 2:51 pm #4

My son was not quite 3, and with 2 big sisters around, getting him to speak was sometimes a challenge.

He was with my husband, in a public restroom, with several other men. Dh took him into a stall, to urinate, so son could reach the toilet - the urinals were to tall. Dh needed to go to, so apparently they were sharing the toilet. Son loudly proclaimed "Gee Dad, you have a big pee thingy".

To which my dh lowered his voice, so he sounded like he could sing Bass, and said "Why thanks, son."

And the entire restroom laughed out loud, and everyone stayed in the restroom while dh and son washed their hands, so they could applaud as they walked out.

As a child, in a very small town, as a child I announced to the store that I saw Aunt Jemima doing her grocery shopping. I know it embarrassed my Mom, but I think my uncle, who owned the small grocery store about had a meltdown from embarrassment.

One of my granddaughters is now 5, but at about 2 years old, after Halloween, she and dh were saying I love you's to one another. Grand would say "I love you", dh would respond "I love you Gobs", to which Grand responded "I love you Gobblins"....... we still say I love you Gobblins around here. Not embarrassing, but it's one of those things that does get funny looks when it's said in public.

glendaMO

February 14th, 2011, 4:21 pm #5

While I was trying to potty train dd, I took her to the restroom at Sam's Club before we started our shopping. She went and then I went. When I was finished she said really loudly, "Mommy! You pooped in the potty! You did a good job!" There were a few laughs heard from the other stalls!

February 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm #6

My son was not quite 3, and with 2 big sisters around, getting him to speak was sometimes a challenge.

He was with my husband, in a public restroom, with several other men. Dh took him into a stall, to urinate, so son could reach the toilet - the urinals were to tall. Dh needed to go to, so apparently they were sharing the toilet. Son loudly proclaimed "Gee Dad, you have a big pee thingy".

To which my dh lowered his voice, so he sounded like he could sing Bass, and said "Why thanks, son."

And the entire restroom laughed out loud, and everyone stayed in the restroom while dh and son washed their hands, so they could applaud as they walked out.

As a child, in a very small town, as a child I announced to the store that I saw Aunt Jemima doing her grocery shopping. I know it embarrassed my Mom, but I think my uncle, who owned the small grocery store about had a meltdown from embarrassment.

One of my granddaughters is now 5, but at about 2 years old, after Halloween, she and dh were saying I love you's to one another. Grand would say "I love you", dh would respond "I love you Gobs", to which Grand responded "I love you Gobblins"....... we still say I love you Gobblins around here. Not embarrassing, but it's one of those things that does get funny looks when it's said in public.
...asked a dark-skinned African American man if he was a gorilla. His poor mother!

February 14th, 2011, 7:08 pm #7

no fave's yet - i'm sure i'll remember them one at a time as the grandbabies come.

also - i am pretty much never really "embarrassed" by anything they say like the above stories, more amused. they're littles, they say things, i laugh, or correct them (for now)

(i'd've said "no dear they're not ugly, they're different, nobody's ugly, except maybe the neighbors funky cat..." - or some such response.)

I can't wait for the day however when i get to embarrass THEM... we are getting awfully close with dd 10.5 !!

February 14th, 2011, 11:30 pm #8

When my younger son was about 2, he asked me about the "thing" he had between his legs. I explained that it was a penis and that all boys had one.

We went out to dinner that night and my son was staring at our waiter intently. The waiter hadn't quite walked away when my son asked--loudly--"The waiter is a boy. Does HE have a penis, too?". The waiter cracked up; I hid my face--my VERY red face!