Totally and completely OT--redneck stories from your neck of the woods

Totally and completely OT--redneck stories from your neck of the woods

May 8th, 2012, 8:53 pm #1

As most of you know, I live in northern Idaho--pretty redneck sort of place. In my town, you can buy live bait in a vending machine.

This morning I heard a commercial on the radio. I'm proud to say the station is located in eastern Washington, LOL. It began, "Bill's Shooting Range invites you to put a gun in Mom's hand for Mother's Day."

There have been car dealer promotions here when if you buy a new truck (and all Idahoans own a truck; it's mandatory here) they will give you a new shotgun.

So, tell us about the rednecks where you live. I suspect they are everywhere, not just here!

May 8th, 2012, 9:53 pm #2

Everyone drives a truck there too, and the last time dh & I were there, we noticed that 9 out of 10 trucks had a cow catcher on the front. And I'm not aware of any cows roaming loose there.

Where I live, the local radio station has a swap and shop every morning called the flea market. They take calls on the air or email they call flea mail. Snail mail comes in the flea bag. And I swear every other call starts with a call from some good ol' boy who has to tell the d.j. a story before he can get to his trade item, all told with a slow and heavy southern accent.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 9th, 2012, 12:59 am #3

As most of you know, I live in northern Idaho--pretty redneck sort of place. In my town, you can buy live bait in a vending machine.

This morning I heard a commercial on the radio. I'm proud to say the station is located in eastern Washington, LOL. It began, "Bill's Shooting Range invites you to put a gun in Mom's hand for Mother's Day."

There have been car dealer promotions here when if you buy a new truck (and all Idahoans own a truck; it's mandatory here) they will give you a new shotgun.

So, tell us about the rednecks where you live. I suspect they are everywhere, not just here!
I live in a rural county in upstate NY. I know when most of you think NY you think the city. We are far from it. The village I live in has 1 four way stop and no stop lights.

I visited DD's first grade class for an event. All the parents and students were seated at tables which were first grade size. I looked over and saw a mom with her thong and "tramp stamp" distinctly showing out of her pants. I could only think of the Jeff Foxworthy song, "You might be a redneck if...."

We have a twice yearly village cleanup. I distinctly remember the year that we saw a chevelle cruising its way through town packed to the gills. The clincher was that they had a swing set on the top with a passenger holding his hand on it to secure it.

On that vein, when my daughter was 3 she set up a "rock sale" in our front yard. She had a small table and two chairs set up with rocks and her for sale sign. I looked out the window one morning and saw folks loading my table and chairs into the back of their pickup and it was no where near village clean up days.

That all being said, Dh occasionally parks his pickup in the driveway and plops himself in a lawn chair in the back with a beer in hand.

May 9th, 2012, 1:05 am #4

My cousin has lived in Idaho and does not (and has never) owned or driven a truck--I'll have to call her and tell her she's not "real"

May 9th, 2012, 2:00 am #5

I live in a rural county in upstate NY. I know when most of you think NY you think the city. We are far from it. The village I live in has 1 four way stop and no stop lights.

I visited DD's first grade class for an event. All the parents and students were seated at tables which were first grade size. I looked over and saw a mom with her thong and "tramp stamp" distinctly showing out of her pants. I could only think of the Jeff Foxworthy song, "You might be a redneck if...."

We have a twice yearly village cleanup. I distinctly remember the year that we saw a chevelle cruising its way through town packed to the gills. The clincher was that they had a swing set on the top with a passenger holding his hand on it to secure it.

On that vein, when my daughter was 3 she set up a "rock sale" in our front yard. She had a small table and two chairs set up with rocks and her for sale sign. I looked out the window one morning and saw folks loading my table and chairs into the back of their pickup and it was no where near village clean up days.

That all being said, Dh occasionally parks his pickup in the driveway and plops himself in a lawn chair in the back with a beer in hand.
------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 9th, 2012, 2:28 am #6

My cousin has lived in Idaho and does not (and has never) owned or driven a truck--I'll have to call her and tell her she's not "real"
LOLOLOLOL

May 9th, 2012, 2:34 am #7

My husband is from a cow town in the high desert of eastern Oregon. The county is the size of CT and has less than 6,000 people. When DH moved back in the 1950s, they were still running cattle drives down Main Street. If any of you remember The Last Picture Show, that could have been made in his town.

This story is from his late cousin Virginia, of sour cream fudge fame. Virginia was the chief dispatcher for the police department for about 20 years. She swore this story was true: Man was found with 3 bullet holes in his back and door locked from the outside. The death was ruled a suicide. When someone questioned how this could be, they were told "So-and-so told him (victim) that if he didn't quit fooling around with his wife, that he was going to wake up dead one morning."

May 9th, 2012, 5:03 am #8

About 10 years ago two buddy's started drinking Friday and several cases of beer later on Sunday they started arguing over whether the one guy should pay "rent" for sleeping on his couch on the lawn all weekend. Sadly the owner of the property picked up a 2x4 and hit the "renter" and killed him. Now I KNOW it's not funny he died, but I can't get past that they were arguing over paying rent to sleep on a couch on the yard, lol.

I grew up on a farm, and my neighbor would visit Dad on his riding mower. I'd say...Dad... Raymond is coming down the lane...he'd say how far is he...and after I'd say..Dad would always say, then I have time to read the paper before he gets here, lmao.

The little store that was opened in the tiny town a mile away from us when we first moved in had a buck brag list that the guys could list their deer, points, location, etc
Last edited by SingingSkies on May 9th, 2012, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 1:27 pm #9

[/IMG]

And NO this is not my car!! LOL This was parked next to us when we came out of the hardware store!! It was a Monte Carlo, notice it's an EL Caro now!! LOL
Last edited by ruralgirl on May 9th, 2012, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 2:15 pm #10

but rednecks can be crafty. I was tempted to do the hand mirror on the car thing a couple of weeks ago when my mirror fell off.

http://nedhardy.com/2010/09/23/who-says ... gineering/