Today's frugal activity...

Today's frugal activity...

December 1st, 2011, 4:38 pm #1

I need a new daily thread, you guys!

I found out last night that the Christmas party (today) is not optional. The president of the company is here and I think it might have something to do with that.

So I had to buy a $10 unisex gift that is suitable for all ages AND IQ levels. That is harder than you think! I bought a 2 L batter bowl ($5) and two muffin mixes. I went a dollar over, but still feel pretty good about it. I didn't wrap it so the person who choses it will WANT it- which is a bit of a thing for me. I hate buying a present that no one wants so I can get a present that I don't want.

December 1st, 2011, 5:34 pm #2

I had some turkey legs on order from the butcher to be picked up today. Each leg was £2.99 and I got 6 which I got the butcher to cut in half.So I have 12 packs of turkey. Each will make at least 2 meals, plus the stock for soup.Also bought 2 other small meat items

Have also made an orange jelly ( jello) with juice from reduced price ( a lot reduced) oranges, 1 small can on mandarins ( also very reduced) and a free sample of pureed orange for babies.

Also made celeriac soup - 1 celeriac root,1 onion, 1 huge potato, 1 clove of garlic and the chicken stock made yesterday. There is probably 5 - 6 lunches there

Dinner tonight ( which I should be doing now) is leftover chicken made into something as yet undecided but likely something to go with pasta

Spent - £25 at butcher
- 22p at supermarket (10 reduced price bananas)

Earned - £10.61 ( book sales on Amazon)
- £2.02 voucher for free bottle of flavoured cider - would never have bought this without the voucher
Also 2 freebies in post - miniature bottle of liqueur, 3 sachets of shampoo etc

December 1st, 2011, 6:16 pm #3

I found out last night that the Christmas party (today) is not optional. The president of the company is here and I think it might have something to do with that.

So I had to buy a $10 unisex gift that is suitable for all ages AND IQ levels. That is harder than you think! I bought a 2 L batter bowl ($5) and two muffin mixes. I went a dollar over, but still feel pretty good about it. I didn't wrap it so the person who choses it will WANT it- which is a bit of a thing for me. I hate buying a present that no one wants so I can get a present that I don't want.
A new thrift store opened nearby and I went looking for long sleeved shirts for ds. I bought 10 pair of new really expensive boys socks for $5. 5 pair will fit him now and 5 will be for later. They also had new women's merino wool hiking socks in different weights for $5 per pair, but you can get them at Costco or Sam's for 3/$15 and I'm stocked up already. I also bought two long sleeved shirts for ds for $2 each. Ds needed socks and shirts, so those were sensible purchases.

Now for the purchases that weren't essential: I bought a bench that matches our dining table that will seat 2 (or possibly 3 scrawny) people. We have 4 matching chairs and dh's parents will be with us for about a month soon so we would have been a chair short. I could have used a chair from our fancier dining set that is stored in the basement but it would have driven me nuts to have to look at unmatched chairs every day. So that diva-ish splurge was $20. The bench can go on the front porch or inside the front door to use to put shoes on when we're done with it in the dining room.

I also bought a stuffed Philly Phanatic for dh for $1. It looks brand new and I know he will love it, although it's completely ridiculous to buy a stuffed animal for a grown man and wasn't essential by any stretch of the imagination.

My December isn't getting off to an ultra frugal start.

December 1st, 2011, 7:10 pm #4

Would you do it every day in December? I need something to keep me honest. (Any day you haven't done it by noon-ish, I'll do it).

Sold a Pioneer turntable on eBay for $39--great deal for them, not so great for me, but at least it is gone. This belonged to MIL. Haven't seen the money yet, but the auction closed this morning.

Grocery and drugstore shopping this week came to a little under $100 and included Costco...otherwise it would have been closer to $60.

Packed a lunch and took it with us when we went to pick up Lulu at the vet hospital yesterday. (She's doing well, not happy with her Elizabethan collar, and I'm $3,131 poorer). We bought fast food when we went Monday, so this was a saving of about $16...and a lot more convenient when traveling with a big laid-up dog.

The last thing I wanted to do when we got home yesterday was cook, but I made myself make a meatloaf. I ground up the very last of the turkey and used it in the loaf with ground beef. Kept out just enough to make enough turkey salad for two sandwiches for lunch. Meatloaf will be good for sandwiches, too. So...we are in good shape for lunches for at least the rest of the week.

December 1st, 2011, 7:44 pm #5

Poor baby. (((hugs))))

How do you handle payments on EBay, Paypal? I have a pair of shoes I'm trying to sell (Bloch DRT Mesh Dance sneakers, got them for Zumba), and I'm having no luck on Craigslist. I ahve no idea whatsoever how Paypal works, so I will have to research it, I guess. I don't want to do the check/MO thing anymore; too may cheaters/crooks.
LisaCNC

December 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm #6

I went and picked up the main Christmas gift for Katie, Abby, and Emily (three oldest daughters). I found a group of 10 solid oak sewing cabinets for $10 each! I picked up four (one for me, of course!) They are from a school, but they look to be handmade, probably by a local Amishman from the looks of them. They are very simple with a place for the machine that is on a spring loaded mechanism so that you can open up the top into a larger surface and pull up the machine, or press it back down and close the lid to make a desk-type structure. (Clear as mud?) They were only $10 each! They are in great shape, but I will refinish the top to give them a renewed shine. My girls are gonna LOVE these, and THEY WERE ONLY TEN BUCKS!

(did I mention that I only paid $10 each for these beauties?)

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

December 1st, 2011, 7:54 pm #7

Also stopped in at Aldi. (Grandson says to me last night, "Nina, do you hafta run errands tomorrow? 'Cause we NEEEEED apples!" So, I ran errands today.....) I picked up apples, clementines for $1/lb, lettuce, butter, just a few odds and ends to get us through the next week. Spent $51.55 and will seriously not need to go to the store again for at least four or five days, maybe a week or more. (We'll see!) We are down to six people living here total right now, so cost is a bit less than it had been. Let's see how far I can go on that $51.55.

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

December 1st, 2011, 8:02 pm #8

Poor baby. (((hugs))))

How do you handle payments on EBay, Paypal? I have a pair of shoes I'm trying to sell (Bloch DRT Mesh Dance sneakers, got them for Zumba), and I'm having no luck on Craigslist. I ahve no idea whatsoever how Paypal works, so I will have to research it, I guess. I don't want to do the check/MO thing anymore; too may cheaters/crooks.
Yes, I'm doing Paypal, but haven't completely figured out how it works (I don't sell often on eBay). Sandy in NJ will know!

Yep, the cone of shame. She wants to lick her wounds.

December 1st, 2011, 8:04 pm #9

I went and picked up the main Christmas gift for Katie, Abby, and Emily (three oldest daughters). I found a group of 10 solid oak sewing cabinets for $10 each! I picked up four (one for me, of course!) They are from a school, but they look to be handmade, probably by a local Amishman from the looks of them. They are very simple with a place for the machine that is on a spring loaded mechanism so that you can open up the top into a larger surface and pull up the machine, or press it back down and close the lid to make a desk-type structure. (Clear as mud?) They were only $10 each! They are in great shape, but I will refinish the top to give them a renewed shine. My girls are gonna LOVE these, and THEY WERE ONLY TEN BUCKS!

(did I mention that I only paid $10 each for these beauties?)

Blessings,

Bethann

Can I assume these are their main gift???

December 1st, 2011, 8:25 pm #10

Yes, I'm doing Paypal, but haven't completely figured out how it works (I don't sell often on eBay). Sandy in NJ will know!

Yep, the cone of shame. She wants to lick her wounds.
It's been many years since I started using paypal, so I'm not sure of the process anymore. I know I gave them a bank account number and they made one or two deposits of a few cents to make sure the account was active and you could do transfers. It's easy to sign up. You pay a fee per transaction (31 cents or something like that) plus a percentage of the total amount including shipping. With ebay and paypal fees it turned out to be about 15% in fees altogether. I haven't sold anything since I moved to NJ. I have things to sell but not the motivation. This is the best time of year to sell - early November to early December.