This is my childhood home

This is my childhood home

April 21st, 2011, 5:54 am #1

My friend Mary took a trip down Memory Lane today. As I've posted before, our houses were back-to-back. This is a picture of my childhood home. I lived there from 1946-56. Although it has been different colors since then, the house today looks very much as it did when I lived there--white with blue shutters. I wonder if the shutters are the originals? I recognize all of the concrete work and the siding, both of which my father did. The house only had about 600 sq. ft., although there is an ugly addition out the back. The lady on the front porch is the current owner, who wanted to know why Mary was taking pictures of her house. Some of you may remember I posted about the time my dad cut down the neighbor's laurel hedge to the ground, and the police came. I see it needs it again!!

[/IMG]

April 21st, 2011, 12:57 pm #2

Cute little house. I wish my childhood home looked the same but I can recognize one window and that is it. Even the driveway moved to the other side of the house.

April 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm #3

My friend Mary took a trip down Memory Lane today. As I've posted before, our houses were back-to-back. This is a picture of my childhood home. I lived there from 1946-56. Although it has been different colors since then, the house today looks very much as it did when I lived there--white with blue shutters. I wonder if the shutters are the originals? I recognize all of the concrete work and the siding, both of which my father did. The house only had about 600 sq. ft., although there is an ugly addition out the back. The lady on the front porch is the current owner, who wanted to know why Mary was taking pictures of her house. Some of you may remember I posted about the time my dad cut down the neighbor's laurel hedge to the ground, and the police came. I see it needs it again!!

[/IMG]
By the time I met dh, they had added a garage to the right, set back just past that window (and dh's house had a full sized window there), and a dining area. Before that, the kitchen table was in the front room along with the sofa and a chair.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 21st, 2011, 4:03 pm #4

[/IMG]
and it looks near identical today, as it did then. They've redone the kitchen cabinets, and the floors which had carpet when we moved in, are now back to the original hardwoods, but the color scheme inside has not changed much... same style curtains, same AWEFUL carpet in the upstairs bedrooms, that was added onto when I was about 10.

The trees in the yard, have grown, been cut down, and replaced, and a bush out front has been removed, but it is still recognizable to friends.

... A boyfriend from my past has stopped, to check on me a couple of times over the last 30 years, (since I've been married) once I was there, he laughs about the fact that he knows my folks still live there because the house has not changed.
glendaMO

April 21st, 2011, 4:10 pm #5

By the time I met dh, they had added a garage to the right, set back just past that window (and dh's house had a full sized window there), and a dining area. Before that, the kitchen table was in the front room along with the sofa and a chair.

------
There are actually 2 adjoining driveways, one for each house. At the end of our driveway, there was a single car garage that my dad built with a hammer and handsaw in the late 1940s. Now there is something in the back that I don't recognize, and it looks like it spans both properties--which of course it wouldn't. I remember when my dad and the neighbor poured that double driveway apron--there's old fencing and all kinds of scrap metal in the concrete (poor man's rebar, LOL).

Bev, it does look like Portland, doesn't it? Well, OF COURSE...it IS Portland! And somebody needs to come along and chop down that laurel hedge (again).

ETA--That is a 50x100 lot. My parents' Victory garden during WW2 was in the parking strip between the sidewalk and street.
Last edited by MaxineS on April 21st, 2011, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2011, 4:15 pm #6

and it looks near identical today, as it did then. They've redone the kitchen cabinets, and the floors which had carpet when we moved in, are now back to the original hardwoods, but the color scheme inside has not changed much... same style curtains, same AWEFUL carpet in the upstairs bedrooms, that was added onto when I was about 10.

The trees in the yard, have grown, been cut down, and replaced, and a bush out front has been removed, but it is still recognizable to friends.

... A boyfriend from my past has stopped, to check on me a couple of times over the last 30 years, (since I've been married) once I was there, he laughs about the fact that he knows my folks still live there because the house has not changed.
I know many people who are now raising their own kids in their childhood home. actually they are either living in thier parents house - or next door in their grandmother's house.

My parents changed the carpets in 1995 and got rid of the god-awful 1969 wallpaper in my bedroom, my sisters' room, and the green bathroom. Boy did my dad have to hunt high and low in 1999 to find a green toilet to replace the old one when the bowl cracked. the stovetop in the kitchen has been replaced, and in the 80's dad did a tile backsplash. that's all that's different! in the 90's he did take down 70% of the trees as they were getting dangerously old and creaky in the wind. my mom has enough firewood to last her lifetime and most of my sister's!

when mom dies, my sister will sell her current house, buy out my other sister and i and move right on in.

April 21st, 2011, 4:44 pm #7

She has made a lot of changes though, and not all good. It's going to be a nightmare trying to sell it someday.

------

April 21st, 2011, 4:48 pm #8

My husband's uncle fancied himself a handyman. My husband remembers being in a boat that Al built and it sinking in the middle of the lake. Al also decided to build an addition to his house. After he did the addition he wanted to get a new/revise an old mortgage and the guy from the bank came out and told him the house was worth less with the addition but if he would tear it down they would raise the appraisal back up to what it was before.

April 21st, 2011, 5:00 pm #9

First they added a bedroom and bath to the back of the house. That was good. Then, after dad died, she added a big patio between the new bedroom and the garage. That was good. Then she put a sunroom on the patio. That wasn't so good, not to mention she doesn't need it. I think it has a flat roof. Then she couldn't get her new mini van in the garage (why did she need a mini van????) so she wanted to extend the garage in front, and thought she might as well make it even with the front of the house - and since she was doing that, she thought she'd put a storm cellar under the new part. That part is ok. But then she wanted to turn the old garage into an office, but she didn't raise the floor to the level of the rest of the house. It's still two steps down. And to get to the office, you have to go through the sunroom. Her house is beginning to remind me of that house in San Francisco? with the stairs that go nowhere.

------

April 21st, 2011, 7:02 pm #10

She has made a lot of changes though, and not all good. It's going to be a nightmare trying to sell it someday.

------
when I was at home, like building the block garage, I hid toys in the blocks, not realizing I'd not be able to reach them later. I also remember helping when the attic was turned into bedrooms and a bath for my sis and I. We carried out scraps, helped hang insulation, sheet rock, picked out fancy (to us) light fixtures, and the aweful blue, green and white shag carpet that's still there today.

My great aunt and uncle moved their house next door when I was about 7 - I remember riding my bike in their foundation, and watching the moving company move the HOUSE down the road, only about 1/2 mile, but it was amazing to watch.

For the most part, while changes have been made, it's still the same house on Old HWy 66, as it was when I was living in it.
glendaMO