This family takes simple living to an extreme...

This family takes simple living to an extreme...

April 8th, 2011, 1:56 pm #1

Last edited by SingingSkies on April 8th, 2011, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2011, 3:13 pm #2

I'm thinking about all the obstacles we've had to overcome on short, 2-3 day road trips, I cannot imagine raising a family perpetually on the road.

glendaMO

April 8th, 2011, 3:36 pm #3

I assume they sold their home & business to fund their new lifestyle.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 8th, 2011, 3:38 pm #4

I would never have the cajones to have done that.

Wallaby Zapp. poor kid.

April 10th, 2011, 3:01 am #5

I'm not all that impressed. They're homeless. Travel is educational, but so is having a home to live in...

I would like to point out that I am at my VERY most tired point of the entire week (15 minutes away from getting ready for my 6th night in a row and two full day work shops this week AND I got an email from ds's psychologist that is just going to cause me a whole lot of work down the road...) And THAT is why I'm extra bitchy!

April 10th, 2011, 3:50 am #6

That was a great article. I know MANY full time rvers that do this basic thing. Most have an rv of some sort but several travel in a van. Roadschooling is not much different than homeschooling except that they have options that we don't have. As for being homeless...no they aren't. Their house just does not look like yours. I am not homeless because I live in an RV. My friends are not just because they live in a double wide (or single wide). Nor is the lady I know who lives in a yurt. It is just different.

I love talking to kids that have grown up on the road. They have an amazing ability to have a coherent conversation with anyone, full grown or small. They have experiences that most kids never have. They also have the same experiences that every other kid has.

Thanks for posting this article.

Missy

April 10th, 2011, 1:37 pm #7

you have several advantages that this car does not have. For one, there are 3 of you vs. 6 living in the enclosed space, and your RV has much more space, and a stove, frig, restroom with a shower, a couch/chairs, dining room table, and chars, you've even got a freezer.

The article reads like the family doesn't normally stay in their car, but they stay with folks they meet in their travels.

glendaMO

April 10th, 2011, 4:18 pm #8

I don't think there's any difference to travelling in a car than travelling in a sailboat. I've known lots of families that do this sort of stuff with their kids. the kids turn out fine and very adventurous.

April 11th, 2011, 1:19 am #9

to do a sail boat trip through the Caribbean. I have really bad
vertigo though so me and boats don't like each other.
Missy