the summer book reading pile

the summer book reading pile

June 12th, 2012, 1:40 pm #1

Our last book club of the season was last night and as usual we not only had a fabulous potluck supper and discussion of our chosen book (Lady Chatterley's Lover), we all had a list of books that look interesting that we would love to read over the summer. As a group, we will read "Walk Across the Sun" to discuss in September.

I know some of you belong to book clubs as well. So, what books are you guys thinking of? reading over the summer? Do any of you actually meet over the summer?

June 12th, 2012, 2:18 pm #2

I am embarrassed to say that next month is 50 Shades of Gray. The hostess gets to pick the book, and the girl who is hosting decided on it on the recommendation of a few others. Now that she has read it (and realized it's pretty much smut)she wishes she would not haven chosen it. Oh well - at least I will be up on my pop culture!

I know the August book is 11/23/64 by Steven King. I'm really looking forward to that one. Not sure about what's been picked for the rest of the year.

We meet every month on the last Tuesday of the month, except for December.

June 12th, 2012, 5:25 pm #3

I am not a reader. I normally read any book that Mary Higgins Clark releases and that is about it. Which is yes, less than one book a year.
About a month ago my frind mentioned 50 Shades of Gray (she also never reads), I had never heard of it. She lent me book one and I half-heartedly started it. I flew through it and was done in about 4 days! I quickly dashed over to her house to pick up book 2. I am not loving the 2nd one as much so far though.
The book is pretty racey in spots. Definitely don't let it laying around for your kids to pick up and even thumb through! The book has such a reputation, it's weird I don't feel comfortable taking this book out in public to read in a Dr.'s waiting area or anything like that. hahaha!
Please let me know what you think of it, when you read it!
Jaime

June 12th, 2012, 6:51 pm #4

Our last book club of the season was last night and as usual we not only had a fabulous potluck supper and discussion of our chosen book (Lady Chatterley's Lover), we all had a list of books that look interesting that we would love to read over the summer. As a group, we will read "Walk Across the Sun" to discuss in September.

I know some of you belong to book clubs as well. So, what books are you guys thinking of? reading over the summer? Do any of you actually meet over the summer?
Definitely not one of her better ones. Monica, that King book looks good and I want to read that this summer too. In Cold Blood was very interesting, read it after watching one of the movies about Capote.

I've packed most of the books but tomorrow I'm volunteering at the library again, sorting for the book sale. I haven't been in several weeks and will be happy to get back. Hopefully I'll find something good to read. If not, I picked up a nice leather bound book that has all 7 of Jane Austen's novels for 99 cents and will reread one of those. Maybe Mansfield Park, finally!

June 12th, 2012, 7:09 pm #5

I have not read a good book since "The Girls With The Pearl Earring" back in april....

June 12th, 2012, 8:08 pm #6

Definitely not one of her better ones. Monica, that King book looks good and I want to read that this summer too. In Cold Blood was very interesting, read it after watching one of the movies about Capote.

I've packed most of the books but tomorrow I'm volunteering at the library again, sorting for the book sale. I haven't been in several weeks and will be happy to get back. Hopefully I'll find something good to read. If not, I picked up a nice leather bound book that has all 7 of Jane Austen's novels for 99 cents and will reread one of those. Maybe Mansfield Park, finally!
She was promoting a new book, and the Jewish synogauge (sp?) hosted her. She signed my book, but now I can't remember which one it was. I read Mansfield Park a few years ago and didn't care for it. Hopefully, you will have a better experience.

June 12th, 2012, 8:10 pm #7

I am not a reader. I normally read any book that Mary Higgins Clark releases and that is about it. Which is yes, less than one book a year.
About a month ago my frind mentioned 50 Shades of Gray (she also never reads), I had never heard of it. She lent me book one and I half-heartedly started it. I flew through it and was done in about 4 days! I quickly dashed over to her house to pick up book 2. I am not loving the 2nd one as much so far though.
The book is pretty racey in spots. Definitely don't let it laying around for your kids to pick up and even thumb through! The book has such a reputation, it's weird I don't feel comfortable taking this book out in public to read in a Dr.'s waiting area or anything like that. hahaha!
Please let me know what you think of it, when you read it!
Jaime
When I was traveling last month, I saw several people reading it at the airport. I was embarrassed for them.

June 12th, 2012, 9:16 pm #8

She was promoting a new book, and the Jewish synogauge (sp?) hosted her. She signed my book, but now I can't remember which one it was. I read Mansfield Park a few years ago and didn't care for it. Hopefully, you will have a better experience.
Twice. I didn't get very far either time but I may try again. If I can't get through it I can always read Pride and Prejudice again for the umpteenth time. I find it relaxing and it's a book I often pick up when I'm stressed out. James's Herriot's books too, but they're packed already.

I've read a lot of Anita Shreve's books and usually like them, but this one was crummy.

June 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm #9

When I was traveling last month, I saw several people reading it at the airport. I was embarrassed for them.
Why would you be embarrassed for them? They obviously were comfortable with themselves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I live my life in celebration that I've got a life to live.