The food stamp cooking blog is back up!

The food stamp cooking blog is back up!

February 25th, 2012, 12:46 am #1

http://foodstampscookingclub.com/blog/ I was so glad to see that "Mother Connie" is back at it after not blogging since last summer. This really is a great web site! Anyone else enjoy this website?

February 25th, 2012, 5:57 am #2

I'm giving it a skim before I go to bed. I might have to come back in the morning when I'm more awake.

Came back to say I do save money at Costco, but I bought my 14 sale chickens and my many large jars of peanut at Co-op.
Last edited by KimAB on February 25th, 2012, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 25th, 2012, 12:53 pm #3

it's a point but an exaggerated one.... I joined Costco just for the savings on eye glasses. Between the 2 of us we needed 3 pairs and it was really worth it. It's 45 mins from here so I don't really go there to shop but if I needed a computer or something I would check what I could order from their website.

February 25th, 2012, 1:26 pm #4

Yes, I am a reader, too. glad to see it up and running again

February 25th, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

it's a point but an exaggerated one.... I joined Costco just for the savings on eye glasses. Between the 2 of us we needed 3 pairs and it was really worth it. It's 45 mins from here so I don't really go there to shop but if I needed a computer or something I would check what I could order from their website.
We don't currently have a membership but we probably will soon. When we run out of coffee and toilet paper we'll join again.

In our family we all love shopping at Costco so it's more like trying to keep them from going so often rather than dragging them to go. And as you said, if you need eyeglasses or tires or a mattress that can cover your membership fee right there. You just don't buy stuff you don't need, like at any other store. And just because the samples are there doesn't mean you have to buy the product. We have occasionally, but not often.

Tawra and Jill's articles are usually exaggerated or just plain common sense. This one was completely ridiculous. The Food Stamps Cooking Club looks interesting though.

February 25th, 2012, 3:11 pm #6

Our truck only fits three so one kid gets to come, if he wants to. I buy things like vitamins, painkillers, Epsom salts, cream and butter regularly. Coffee is often cheapest and toilet paper sometimes is. Then after that you have to price match. They often have 'Made in Canada' jeans for under $20 and their marked down clothes are always a good price if you hit the store on the day it happens. Books and movies are always cheaper, too, but I usually stay out of that aisle.

Oh and prescriptions are cheaper, too. And the $1.50 hot dog and a pop... Sometimes dh or ds will get one if we have to wait for something at the store.

Admittedly I was spending $800-$1,000/ month on food and a chunk of that was Costco and some of that was not food... But I've learned to control myself a little. Costco is always going to be there. I can go every day if I want...

February 25th, 2012, 3:16 pm #7

And I told her I really missed the hot dogs.

February 25th, 2012, 3:26 pm #8

But I adjusted- eventually. I did save money by not shopping there, but now that I've gone back my cash outflow hasn't increased. You do have to remain focused, but it can be done.

February 25th, 2012, 3:29 pm #9

http://foodstampscookingclub.com/blog/ I was so glad to see that "Mother Connie" is back at it after not blogging since last summer. This really is a great web site! Anyone else enjoy this website?
I see a LOT of people that I recognize. Is this where you all go when you aren't playing with ME?

February 25th, 2012, 4:22 pm #10

And I told her I really missed the hot dogs.
But you have to walk in the out door to get to membership.... and right near there is the food. So I would think you could walk in the out door like you are going to membership and just scoot over and get a hot dog : )