Taxi or bank on insurance?

Taxi or bank on insurance?

May 1st, 2012, 2:14 am #1

Given the mid-west weather patterns, I'm debating taking a taxi in to work as I'll be gone for awhile and I'm nervous leaving my car out that long. We just had golf ball sized hail roll through a couple of days ago that dented a couple of cars at work, and one gal needs a new windshield. Most cars don't just have $300 windshields anymore either... So do I pay (upwards of $50 round trip) for a taxi and leave my car in a carport (which in itself isn't a guarantee) or do I leave it at the office and keep my fingers crossed that I don't come back to a busted window and three inches of water in the floorboards? Public transportation here is seriously lacking and not a viable option. This is something that would be ongoing in the summer months.

May 1st, 2012, 3:10 am #2

I would take the taxi if an actual forecast led me to believe the car might be damaged, but I'd take my chances with "midwest weather patterns." I'm assuming you have comprehensive insurance. A new windshield costs me the $100 deductible.

May 1st, 2012, 3:56 am #3

What do your co-workers do? Follow their lead. They've been there longer and are more used to playing the odds.

May 1st, 2012, 12:48 pm #4

and their spouses drop them off... I mentioned my taxi idea to one and he said 'do it', but that the only problem might be getting a taxi to come out at 3am when we get back.

May 1st, 2012, 1:49 pm #5

...live in your direction? Could they drop you off on the way home?

May 1st, 2012, 3:00 pm #6

Given the mid-west weather patterns, I'm debating taking a taxi in to work as I'll be gone for awhile and I'm nervous leaving my car out that long. We just had golf ball sized hail roll through a couple of days ago that dented a couple of cars at work, and one gal needs a new windshield. Most cars don't just have $300 windshields anymore either... So do I pay (upwards of $50 round trip) for a taxi and leave my car in a carport (which in itself isn't a guarantee) or do I leave it at the office and keep my fingers crossed that I don't come back to a busted window and three inches of water in the floorboards? Public transportation here is seriously lacking and not a viable option. This is something that would be ongoing in the summer months.
You might have to crash in the pilot's lounge until a reasonable hour if your flight gets in at 3 a.m. though. I have taken several neighbors to the airport, and they return the favor.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 1st, 2012, 4:54 pm #7

Neither of our vehicles have been in a garage or shelter since we've moved to NJ. We have a one car garage at the rental, but it's inconvenient to use - no access directly into the house, no automatic door, padlock - so there are very few items in there. I wouldn't think twice about leaving a vehicle outside for an extended period of time. We've left vehicles in airport parking lots many times. It doesn't hail that often, does it?

May 1st, 2012, 9:33 pm #8

My parents live in OK, and hail is not uncommon there. I'd probably just take my chances and park at the airport. Both summers we went to China (gone 16-19 days each trip), we left our car at the airport. I honestly never thought about bad weather and cracked windshields, and we didn't experience any problems.

May 2nd, 2012, 1:48 am #9

We've already had a couple of towns nearly wiped off the mat so far this spring from tornadoes, plus at least two hail storms in the last month, so they do get some nasty weather. OK is probably similar. We've had tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings the last couple of nights in a row. (I rode my bike through one of the t-storms last night!) No one else on this two week trip is leaving their car in the parking lot. I have had one offer to take me home, but he's not interested in leaving earlier to pick me up.

I did just go drop my deductible from $1000 to $500. It added $32/6 months. I'll probably drive... Certainly be easier.

May 2nd, 2012, 1:58 am #10

Last summer, friends had their vehicle totalled at the STL airport.

This past weekend, the storm in STL took out more cars in STL - although downtown vs. the airport.

Last night, we got hail here, in SW Missouri - no damage to the truck which was in the drive, but it did a number on the daylilies that were blooming yesterday.

If you have comprehensive coverage, I'd park it at the airport. Is underground parking available?
glendaMO