still involved with Freecycle?

still involved with Freecycle?

March 3rd, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

I'm wondering what your experience has been lately, if you are still involved with Freecycle? My local group has grown so big... it's a great place to get rid of stuff but it seems that's all it's good for now a days.

March 3rd, 2012, 3:32 pm #2

I usually use up stuff and then toss in the trash.

Make it into something else.

Or donate it to a thrift store. Though lately when I have a bit to get rid of there is usually a group sale going on that wants stuff. Which works for me because I don't want to have a sale myself. Or mess around with trying to find the perfect place for my unwanted items.

March 3rd, 2012, 4:08 pm #3

I'm wondering what your experience has been lately, if you are still involved with Freecycle? My local group has grown so big... it's a great place to get rid of stuff but it seems that's all it's good for now a days.
and was really dissatisfied with it! Good things were gone right away -usually to one or two people. There was a lot of sob stories, too, and I found that annoying. For example, I'm pregnant and poor and have NOTHING for the baby. Please set me up... but top of the line stuff, please, because I want my friends to think I bought it new.

Or- My kids have no Christmas presents. Set me up! Expensive toys only please... I don't want them to think we are poor.

I never got anything good- a couple things for dayhome that got decluttered after.

I haven't tried it since 2008 so I don't know how it is now. Thrift store prices have gone WAY up since then because people have started using the thrift store and Costco as ways to save money. I think a lot of people have been sucked into paying more because they don't know how to bargain shop. Lots of times I can get new clothes for the same price or less than thrift store. The other thing is that it doesn't matter how much wear it has in it - it is all the same price. Of course I make that work to my advantage, but not everyone is aware enough to do that.

I briefly thought about joining again, but I'm like you CC. I'm pretty happy with keeping stuff in my blanket chest and taking to a thrift store 3 (ish) times a year.

March 3rd, 2012, 4:40 pm #4

And was only offered ONE thing in all that time, and it was in such poor condition I didn't take it. However, I gave away lots of stuff, including plants and a carpet cleaner that worked, but I knew it wouldn't be for much longer (which I told the recipient). Like Sheila says, it seems to be a good way to get rid of stuff, but forget hoping to get something. I really prefer sending my stuff to thrift stores--I often did not like the people who came, and then I wished I hadn't given it to them. Unfortunately, I have a personal relationship with my stuff..... It helps if I don't have to meet the recipient.

March 3rd, 2012, 4:54 pm #5

For truly giving things away, I give donations to the Goodwill or ARC Value Village. For items that GW & ARC won't take, a Craigslist ad generally does the trick. I leave the item on the boulevard, put up a "curb alert" ad, wait for it to disappear, and then take the the ad down. Saves me the trouble of dealing with emails, appointments, etc.

For receiving things, I can generally find what I want at thrifts stores....or again, Craigslist. The trick is to actually look at the "For Sale" ads. Everyone looks at the "free" section but I've found a number of very good bargains under "For Sale".

March 3rd, 2012, 5:11 pm #6

My experiences were the same as the ones above, and when I posted something to give away, there were a few of the same people who replied immediately. I mean, within seconds. They were probably reselling it.

I like Craig's List much better, and I don't have to deal with all the drama or the emails.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 3rd, 2012, 5:22 pm #7

I kind of given up on it. I used it to get rid of stuff. It is such a hassle, people begging then not showing up. They can't even bother to send an email saying they decided not to get it. Or those who lecture about giving items to charities instead of other people.

I have had few nice experiences where people have left me a note on my porch saying thank you or sent a personal email saying how nice it was to get something or a thank you.

Once I 'took' large brown glass bottles to use for making herbal stuff from free-cycle. Otherwise I have not received anything.

I find it easier to carry stuff out to the apron of my front yard and let someone driving by take it away or calling Big Brother/Big Sister to come and get it.

March 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm #8

I've been pretty happy with our Freecycle. Yes, as others mention, some seem "greedy" and i have no way of knowing whether a recipent of my items is reselling the stuff. I have to go with thinking that someone can use what I can't and leave it at that. Mostly I have given away kid's and adult clothing, kids toys, books, a vacuum I hated, feminine products, Little Tykes outdoor kids equipment, a flat screen computer monitor. Could I have sold this stuff or donated it? Sure-but decluttering a small house was more important and I have little time to spare for a tag sale.

I have received an electric knife set, a 7 qt crockpot, many cases (8?) of Mason canning jars, canning lids, a large box full of personal care products (owner's husband became allergic to all scented products so she cleared them all out) including swabs,bar soap, shampoo, liquid hand soap, lotions etc; 50th wedding anniversary cards, 2 ABm-bread machines, one of which was only used a handful of times; a bag of cleaning products, clothespins, English tea, herbal teas, a wooden foldable drying rack for clothes.

About 1/2 of the recipients will send a "thank you" email, which is nice. I don't meet the recipients, I leave stuff out at the end of our long driveway and they pull in off the road, grab and go. I also prefer not to meet the givers: just leave it outside. : )

March 4th, 2012, 1:49 am #9

when I moved here I tried to join the local one and they denied my request to join due to my profile having a zipcode that is not local. well poo on them anyway! Said I could change my profile and reapply or email, but I don't feel like bothering.

March 4th, 2012, 3:31 am #10

In the past I found new homes for many, many things thru freecycle. I've also received clothes, shoes, yard tools, a bread machines, cat toys and food, a bathroom mirror, a Forman grill, a fold-away bed, a futon, a couch and a dryer. I cannot name everything. When I was working fulltime and going to school I stopped my involvement there for lack of time.

Now I'm back with freecycle. I'm decluttering and working on my house to put it on the market it in the near future. So I don't need much. This is good because now more than half of the posts are "Wanted" instead of offers.

--Kim