stained work shirts?

stained work shirts?

November 30th, 2011, 5:58 pm #1

I am trying to get some dark blue work shirts cleaned... I just finished off the last of a bottle of shout and have tried washing them in hot and also doing a long soak.... Because they are dark I don't want to do anything that will bleach or whiten them. I am using Tide to try and get these stubborn stains out but so far no luch... They are 50/50 poly cotton.

Any suggestions?

November 30th, 2011, 6:12 pm #2

Use the liquid straight. Make a paste if you are using powder. Use an old toothbrush or something similar to tamp it into the stain. Besides being effective (usually), the nice thing about this is that it doesn't really use any extra product--it just puts it where you need it to be.

If you have waterless hand cleaner, such as Goop, it's pretty good on grease stains, too. Use it as a pre-treater and rub it in good.

November 30th, 2011, 7:02 pm #3

I am trying to get some dark blue work shirts cleaned... I just finished off the last of a bottle of shout and have tried washing them in hot and also doing a long soak.... Because they are dark I don't want to do anything that will bleach or whiten them. I am using Tide to try and get these stubborn stains out but so far no luch... They are 50/50 poly cotton.

Any suggestions?
using a bar of soap. Sometimes that works for me. And, sometimes hand soap (mine is from Bath and Body) works. I'm not sure why they work better but for certain stains, these two things sometimes get stains out.

Also, if it is grease, try your Dawn or whatever type dishwashing liquid (the kind you hand wash with). I get a lot of grease stains out with Palmolive. I put it directly on stain and rub it in really good.

Tammy

November 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm #4

Any suggestions?
The kids had blueberries for breakfast and one of the girls had on a white ruffled shirt (white shirts for children should be banned). There was blueberry stains everywhere. My daughter said that sprite soda and baking soda would get it out. I put tide on it and scrubbed it, still stained. Then I rubbed baking soda on it. I then put it in a bowl and poured the sprite over it and soaked it, I checked it and scrubbed again. 3 hours later, still a stain. Oh well, put it in the wash and it came out so pretty white! \

Worth a try...

November 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm #5

I prefer Zout, but it's pricey. A bar of Felz naptha is always in my laundry area. Try some shampoo, the cheap stuff like VO5 often works well on grease. Do you know what kind of stain it is?

December 1st, 2011, 12:35 am #6

The kids had blueberries for breakfast and one of the girls had on a white ruffled shirt (white shirts for children should be banned). There was blueberry stains everywhere. My daughter said that sprite soda and baking soda would get it out. I put tide on it and scrubbed it, still stained. Then I rubbed baking soda on it. I then put it in a bowl and poured the sprite over it and soaked it, I checked it and scrubbed again. 3 hours later, still a stain. Oh well, put it in the wash and it came out so pretty white! \

Worth a try...
This is scary, but it works...every time.

Lay the fabric in the sink and open it up so the berry stain shows. Boil a kettle of water and pour the boiling water over the stain. Wa-lah! Stain is gone!

I know boiling water seems counter-intuitive, but it does remove the stains, not set them.

December 1st, 2011, 4:35 pm #7

I prefer Zout, but it's pricey. A bar of Felz naptha is always in my laundry area. Try some shampoo, the cheap stuff like VO5 often works well on grease. Do you know what kind of stain it is?
and am now washing a load of these I pretreated... I have done the liquid dish soap and putting liquid laundry detergent right onto it but did not work. I think part of the problem is the stains are set from having been dried. I really hope the Zout works. I also used Tide in this load to help it along.

December 1st, 2011, 5:12 pm #8

Tried it twice. I ahve the items set aside to try Dawn on the greast and either Oxyclean or this Dr. Spot bar on the makeup.

Got the Dr. Spot at Basin (Downtown Disney FL).
LisaCNC

December 1st, 2011, 5:35 pm #9

This is scary, but it works...every time.

Lay the fabric in the sink and open it up so the berry stain shows. Boil a kettle of water and pour the boiling water over the stain. Wa-lah! Stain is gone!

I know boiling water seems counter-intuitive, but it does remove the stains, not set them.
some stains actually will never come out. i have resigned myself to this fact

Zout is great on organic stains, spit up, grass and chocolate. (the older the stain the more often it might take)

Fels Naptha works miracles on grease stains old and new, but can take several washings to work.

I cannot get blueberry out of anything no matter what i try. (yes even boiling!)

Oxyclean

Last spring when i realized every article of clothes i owned was nasty with stains - i'd soak the spot in zout for 24 hours then in a bucket of warm water with oxyclean, then rub it with Fels before washing. 60 percent of my clothes came clean in one treatment. another 20% took two or three washings. and the rest is in the rag bin.

I manage to spill every single time i eat. or anyone's eating near me. Or I'm alone in an empty room..... stains find me....

December 1st, 2011, 6:02 pm #10

I love Oxyclean. It's the only thing I've tried that will soak out stains after they've been in the dryer. I stored all of ds's baby clothes for a couple of years then pulled them all out to sell. So many that looked perfectly clean before storage had mystery stains on them after. Oxyclean got out almost every single stain.

It didn't work great on ring around the collar stains though. And it didn't do much as a laundry booster, so I only use it to soak things.