sort of an off question... (Dog/bladder infection)

sort of an off question... (Dog/bladder infection)

February 13th, 2012, 9:46 pm #1

My dog, Sunny (a 4 year old spayed female terrier mix) seems to get a bladder infection each year around this time- late winter/early spring. We used to have a spayed female bichon and she had the same thing...

I just got Sunny back from my X a little before Christmas and it's looking like she is getting this infection now. Each time they want us to get a pee sample and each time that is super hard, she is skitterish to begin with and is not used to people near her when she pees. Each time they give her the same course of treatment- something to either nuetralize the acid in the pee, or else make it more acidic, I can't recall which.... and an antibiotic.

Does anyone know why this would happen? And if there is anything OTC that I could give her that would work? Anything herbal? I have heard of Azo for humans- wonder if a dog could take it?
Last edited by SheilaPCT on February 13th, 2012, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2012, 9:50 pm #2

Azo only relieves the pain, it does not cure the infection, which usually requires antibiotics. I would NOT give it to a dog unless directed by the vet.

I'm just going out the door to take Lulu to the vet. I'll see if I can find out anything for you.

February 13th, 2012, 10:04 pm #3

I am hoping to avoid having to go to the vet... it's a 40 minute ride and gonna cost a bundle, especially because if I am going to go I might as well take them both and "do it all".... : ( but if she changes from just needing to go out more then normal and appears in pain, I will take her!

February 13th, 2012, 11:15 pm #4

Azo only relieves the pain, it does not cure the infection, which usually requires antibiotics. I would NOT give it to a dog unless directed by the vet.

I'm just going out the door to take Lulu to the vet. I'll see if I can find out anything for you.
...in her experience, not necessarily backed up by research, that bichons are more susceptible to UTIs than many other breeds. Once a year is frequent, but some breeds, such as Yorkies, may get UTIs more often. No idea why they occur during a specific time of year. UTIs often are caused by crystals forming in the urine, and she has had to operate on some dogs to remove stones caused by the crystals.

Encouraging the dog to drink water is the best thing you can do. If your dog is not a good drinker, try adding water to dry food. And don't make her wait to go outside to pee.
Last edited by MaxineS on February 13th, 2012, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2012, 12:53 am #5

My dog, Sunny (a 4 year old spayed female terrier mix) seems to get a bladder infection each year around this time- late winter/early spring. We used to have a spayed female bichon and she had the same thing...

I just got Sunny back from my X a little before Christmas and it's looking like she is getting this infection now. Each time they want us to get a pee sample and each time that is super hard, she is skitterish to begin with and is not used to people near her when she pees. Each time they give her the same course of treatment- something to either nuetralize the acid in the pee, or else make it more acidic, I can't recall which.... and an antibiotic.

Does anyone know why this would happen? And if there is anything OTC that I could give her that would work? Anything herbal? I have heard of Azo for humans- wonder if a dog could take it?
I suspect that it's because when it's cold, our pup doesn't want to go outside, so she ends up with a UTI and possibly chrystals from not going frequent enough - same reason people end up with UTI's. She's just finished antibiotics, if the s/s continue, we'll be heading to the vet with specimen in hand.
glendaMO

February 14th, 2012, 4:05 am #6

she is older and one of the things we have been told to do is to take baby wipes and wipe her vulva...if you can imagine. As dogs get older, the folds get a little droopy and then bacteria get a place to gather. She seems to get UTI's when she is under stress. And she is now on a food that is high in salt so it makes her drink more water to flush her system.

We now just phone the vet, get the meds phoned into our pharmacy and later get a urine sample to the vets office to get checked.

February 14th, 2012, 4:07 am #7

I suspect that it's because when it's cold, our pup doesn't want to go outside, so she ends up with a UTI and possibly chrystals from not going frequent enough - same reason people end up with UTI's. She's just finished antibiotics, if the s/s continue, we'll be heading to the vet with specimen in hand.
...are you going to get her to pee in your hand? JUST JOKING! Getting a specimen from a dog is no easy matter! Lulu was back at the vet because they have had to wrap her leg and have her wear an e-collar again, and she is still getting the bandage off! They had to re-wrap it today (no charge) and they wrapped it at least daily while we boarded her there. They commented that Lulu was the sweetest and MOST DETERMINED dog they had ever boarded. Whereas Molly was just a hoot!

February 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm #8

I have been mixing water in with her dog food. She eats twice a day and this seems to have increased the amount of watr she is getting in... Since this happens the same time each year I am wondering if it is something to do with starting her on heart worm meds? I just gave her the first dose on the first of Feb....

Sheila

February 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm #9

...are you going to get her to pee in your hand? JUST JOKING! Getting a specimen from a dog is no easy matter! Lulu was back at the vet because they have had to wrap her leg and have her wear an e-collar again, and she is still getting the bandage off! They had to re-wrap it today (no charge) and they wrapped it at least daily while we boarded her there. They commented that Lulu was the sweetest and MOST DETERMINED dog they had ever boarded. Whereas Molly was just a hoot!
nt
glendaMO

February 14th, 2012, 4:31 pm #10

I remember reading a James Herriot book and him telling a patient to get a urine sample from her dog. He said something like just catch it in a clean soup plate. Like it's that easy! Good grief.