solar ovens

solar ovens

July 23rd, 2012, 3:29 am #1

Remember the Y2K stuff, and making your own solar oven? thinking about trying this again....

http://mentalmosaic.com/blog/2011/08/31 ... h-the-sun/

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

July 23rd, 2012, 4:52 am #2

maybe I ought to :>

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

July 23rd, 2012, 7:25 am #3

Remember the Y2K stuff, and making your own solar oven? thinking about trying this again....

Blessings,

Bethann

What I can't figure out is how they keep the ants out. Doesn't seem like it would really get hot enough to keep those buggers off.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 23rd, 2012, 10:12 am #4

my cousin is wanting to bake cookies in her car. i sent her this link. i hadn't thought about bugs being an issue. good point! but if you set the thing up in your back window of your car, bugs wouldn't be a problem, and i would think it would bake faster, too.

Blessings,

Bethann

July 23rd, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

Blessings,

Bethann

but I just don't get it. I had a big conversation with myself about it...

Kim: Why? That seems like a lot of work for that. Why do that?

reply: I don't know! Maybe she is an enthusiastic person.

Kim: And I strongly object to the use of the term 'bread' in this context.

reply: That is just the half price doughnut holes you had last night talking... and the other pack that is calling you...

Kim: That is flax cracker at BEST. Why didn't she just microwave it for 2 minutes and be done with it?

reply: We don't believe in the microwave... remember? It kills the nutrition...

Kim: Oh, yeah, yeah. Fast though! I still don't get it.

reply: me neither...

July 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm #6

my cousin is wanting to bake cookies in her car. i sent her this link. i hadn't thought about bugs being an issue. good point! but if you set the thing up in your back window of your car, bugs wouldn't be a problem, and i would think it would bake faster, too.

Blessings,

Bethann

The local weathermen just don't have much to do in the dog days of summer I guess, besides repeat that we are going to have clear skies, highs between 105-110, and a hot, muggy night. So they cook on the pavement and in cars a lot.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 23rd, 2012, 4:18 pm #7

reply: That is just the half price doughnut holes you had last night talking... and the other pack that is calling you...

Kim: That is flax cracker at BEST. Why didn't she just microwave it for 2 minutes and be done with it?

I thought many of the same things. other than a fun experiment with the kids (let school or daycare do it!) i don't see the point.

she said bread and I'm thinking, "yeast? in a slow oven?"

not too fond of the idea of cooking something with that much egg that slowly either!

You are probably way too far north for this to work anyway.

July 23rd, 2012, 5:24 pm #8

I used to live in Hippy Valley, BC when I was a kid in the 1970's. You can also cook things in a pit in the ground with hot coals...

Sorry, BA! I didn't mean to step on your enthusiasm, though. I'm just a little mentally exhausted. Next week I'll think it's fun... maybe.

July 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm #9

So funny. My cousin was doing it as a science experiment with her 7 yr old. (She's a school teacher, too.) outside of that, it would be a way to bake something without heating your house--IF you had the extra time. I don't have the extra time either.

And I hope those donuts were at least gluten free!

Incidentally, I have not eaten "off plan" since my scare Saturday, so I'm on Day 3, really really strict, and I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! I know you know just what I'm talking about!

BTW, I use my microwave. A lot.

Blessings,

Bethann

July 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm #10

were home made buckwheat sourdough. There were made on a long ferment so there probably wasn't a whole lot of gluten. They were a gateway drug for the chocolate cake doughnut holes... with icing... :-|