Seriously annoying

Seriously annoying

November 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm #1

New job, new phone, new phone number. Apparently my phone number used to be someones sister, and the caller cannot grasp that I'm not her sister. She calls over and over and over, late at night and early in the morning. She's called 6 times so far between 6-8am this morning. I'm the type that once I'm awake, I'm up... and I have to keep my phone on since I'm on-call all the time.

Phone service is through AT&T, and I would have to pay $4.99/month to block her number.

The phone is an iPhone, so I can't assign a silent ringtone to her unless I pay for a ringtone, as Apple isn't nice enough to give you a silent ringtone. Though at this point I'm about ready to buy one...

I've had up to 5 minute conversations with her, more than once, about the fact that her sister probably changed her number and this is my phone now, not her sisters!

What would you do? I'm tempted to answer next time with something like 'Joe's Pizza' but I really don't think it will help.

and more fun, what is your annoyance or pet peeve lately?

November 16th, 2011, 2:52 pm #2

How can anyone be that dense?

How about answering "hello, this is not your sister speaking?" lol

I wouldn't bother with blocking the number or getting the silent ringtone because she'll probably stop soon once she decides you don't have her sister locked in the basement. I know, easy for me to say because she isn't waking me up.

November 16th, 2011, 3:12 pm #3

New job, new phone, new phone number. Apparently my phone number used to be someones sister, and the caller cannot grasp that I'm not her sister. She calls over and over and over, late at night and early in the morning. She's called 6 times so far between 6-8am this morning. I'm the type that once I'm awake, I'm up... and I have to keep my phone on since I'm on-call all the time.

Phone service is through AT&T, and I would have to pay $4.99/month to block her number.

The phone is an iPhone, so I can't assign a silent ringtone to her unless I pay for a ringtone, as Apple isn't nice enough to give you a silent ringtone. Though at this point I'm about ready to buy one...

I've had up to 5 minute conversations with her, more than once, about the fact that her sister probably changed her number and this is my phone now, not her sisters!

What would you do? I'm tempted to answer next time with something like 'Joe's Pizza' but I really don't think it will help.

DH used to have a phone number that was only 1 digit different from the local pizza place. He was usually pretty patient about explaining this to callers. One night (about 11:45) he got a call from an obviously very drunk man who insisted on ordering pizza. DH took the guy's "order" and hung up

My pet peeve: people at Costco who seem to be lost in a complete fog and don't look where they're going. I just love those mongo cart crashes!

November 16th, 2011, 4:05 pm #4

And the person who had my number before must have had a bad debt or two. After a few calls in the wee hours, I just changed my voice message to "This is (my name)'s new phone number. Leave your name & number and if I know who you are, I'll call you back."

If a call shows up as a phone number instead of a name in my address book, I just don't answer it.

I just had a few more calls after that and then they stopped.

AT&T assured me that the number was cleared before they reassigned it. Not.

Just make sure you have your work phone numbers in your address book.

I would also put this woman's number in your address book with the name "Crazy Sister" or something like that, and when she calls, just press the answer button and the end button, without even talking to her.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 16th, 2011, 4:18 pm #5

The sister is mentally ill. Who else would call six times in two hours to someone who says they aren't your sister? You would KNOW if you were talking to your sister, right? I say she is off her meds and can't be reasoned with and that IS seriously annoying!

My only annoyance is that I paid $5 for 350 grams of suet. Ground, packaged, shipped suet AT THE BUTCHERS! That is messed up!

November 16th, 2011, 4:33 pm #6

I've heard of getting it for bird feeders.

------

November 16th, 2011, 5:18 pm #7

twice a week for the past THREE years i've gotten to say "no this number has been an internal line at a federal agancy since january 2009, we have no control over old internet listings for Liberty Mutual" My outgoing caller ID still says I'm Chester Volla (i assume he was the Liberty Mutual Rep)

three homes ago i was a digit off of K-Mart's main #.

two homes ago I changed my answering machine message to "Billy is not at this number, i don't know who he is much less where he is. Try attaching his tax refund to get his attention and your money back, Leave me another freakin message about his debt and i'll contact the FCC again about your harrasment."

Here in the house I've only had the occasional misfortune of an apparently very pretty college girl/tramp named Missy giving out a fake number at the bars on friday nights.

My current annoyance is that 75 percent of people i deal with at work are certifiable idiots!

November 16th, 2011, 6:56 pm #8

I admit that in the bigger scheme of things this is NOTHING, but it bugs me to no freakin' end....

I go in and out of glass double doors several times a day. Two doors, each of which can be opened independently. When I walk up to those doors, I go through the door on the RIGHT side. At least once a day, idiots coming the other direction don't enter the glass doors on THEIR right side....they see me coming through the glass and wait for me to come through, and then enter the doors on their left side. Basically, they're too damn lazy to open a door on their side. Bugs me to no end!

November 16th, 2011, 7:01 pm #9

and ask for a new number and if they want to charge you then pitch a fit, and give the sister that person's phone number.

Here in the Grand Canyon we have one area code..928 (for all of N. Arizona) and one prefix..638. It makes it easy to tell someone your number. "Yeah, call me at 1234" and everyone understands. On the other hand we only have one prefix so they get recycled IMMEDIATELY. Not in 6 months but within a week.

I spent 1 year getting collection calls for Jessie Roberts and Gary Minx. Arghhhhhhh
Sometimes 6-8 times a day. Drove me nuts. I finally called Verizon and pitched a fit and they gave me a Texas number that they swore had never been used. Great... Can someone now tell me who "unavailable" is and why they keep calling me?

Good luck, go pitch a fit and get a new number.

Missy

November 16th, 2011, 7:19 pm #10

I admit that in the bigger scheme of things this is NOTHING, but it bugs me to no freakin' end....

I go in and out of glass double doors several times a day. Two doors, each of which can be opened independently. When I walk up to those doors, I go through the door on the RIGHT side. At least once a day, idiots coming the other direction don't enter the glass doors on THEIR right side....they see me coming through the glass and wait for me to come through, and then enter the doors on their left side. Basically, they're too damn lazy to open a door on their side. Bugs me to no end!
At Racetrack (gas station/convenience store), they even have signs on the doors, one for enter and one for exit. And still people want to go in the door I'm coming out of.

Maybe people feel uncomfortable opening the other door when someone is using a connecting door, and then they don't want to be rude by not going in an open door?

------