selling on Craigs list...

selling on Craigs list...

January 17th, 2012, 2:27 pm #1

I mentioned earlier that I am selling a "Learning Tower" thing on craig's list... should get about $75 for it. Well at the least, $50.... I am getting a lot of strange e-mails- "hold it for me", "I will send a check" and "Do you take Paypal/Money orders"... this is my first time selling on there.... So far no one has actually e-mailed saying they will come and look at it!!! These sound a bit like the scam warnings that Craig's list e-mailed me out... I just e-mailed back one woman this weekend who does sound sincere- she is in state but about 50 mins from here and she claims she can come look at it this weekend but wants me to "hold it for her till she can get here"....

What do you make of all this?

January 17th, 2012, 2:41 pm #2

Definitely no checks or money orders!!! I've never used PayPal, but maybe you could have the money transferred before they take the item??? Then take the money out, so if thye try to file a "complaint" the cash won't be there?

Personally, I'm a cash only gal on CL.
LisaCNC

January 17th, 2012, 3:13 pm #3

The first person to come out who has cash can have it, that's the way I've done it. If there are several people interested, I tell them #1 is coming to look and if they don't want it then #2 can come look, etc.

I'm not sure about Paypal. With ebay, if there's a complaint the person gets their money back from paypal regardless of whether there's money in the paypal account or not. It comes out of the bank account or credit card linked to paypal. A refund may not be possible with paypal if it's a craigslist item, but I wouldn't do it until you've looked into it to be sure.

January 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm #4

I mentioned earlier that I am selling a "Learning Tower" thing on craig's list... should get about $75 for it. Well at the least, $50.... I am getting a lot of strange e-mails- "hold it for me", "I will send a check" and "Do you take Paypal/Money orders"... this is my first time selling on there.... So far no one has actually e-mailed saying they will come and look at it!!! These sound a bit like the scam warnings that Craig's list e-mailed me out... I just e-mailed back one woman this weekend who does sound sincere- she is in state but about 50 mins from here and she claims she can come look at it this weekend but wants me to "hold it for her till she can get here"....

Put it right in the ad... cash only. I've sold (and bought) over $400 items on CL, cash only. I don't think I'd hold it for anyone, unless I talked to them and am assured of their seriousness in buying.

I don't bother with responding to emails that don't sound legit or promising. One technique is to put something in the ad that they have to respond to, like "include your phone number in your email" or when I listed a bunch of items in one ad, "include which book you want in your email". Then you can quickly weed out the responders who ask "is it still available" as the only text in their email. btw you could also put that in your ad, "if you are reading this, it IS still available!"

I think I did go overboard with one posting though as I got absolutely no responses. I had put something to the effect of "please include complete sentences in English in your email" as I was getting fed up with the weird emails.
Last edited by Stacey_K on January 17th, 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2012, 3:47 pm #5

I am hoping to list some more things on there... I realize I have been giving away a lot of good things via Freecycle that I could be selling for some cash.... Got a resonce back this morning, a lady wanting to come see it Thursday... cool.

Thanks for your advice!

Sheila

January 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm #6

Put it right in the ad... cash only. I've sold (and bought) over $400 items on CL, cash only. I don't think I'd hold it for anyone, unless I talked to them and am assured of their seriousness in buying.

I don't bother with responding to emails that don't sound legit or promising. One technique is to put something in the ad that they have to respond to, like "include your phone number in your email" or when I listed a bunch of items in one ad, "include which book you want in your email". Then you can quickly weed out the responders who ask "is it still available" as the only text in their email. btw you could also put that in your ad, "if you are reading this, it IS still available!"

I think I did go overboard with one posting though as I got absolutely no responses. I had put something to the effect of "please include complete sentences in English in your email" as I was getting fed up with the weird emails.
I state in my ad that I will only respond by phone, so the responder must include a phone number. I also always include my phone when I respond to an ad. I got a $10 TV last week and it helped to actually just talk by phone, hash out the details, get directions, and be done with it.

I am lucky in that we have daily classified ads where I work, so I'm able to sell most of my stuff to co-workers. However, every now and then, I use CL. I typically meet people at the grocery store when I sell stuff because I live so far from a town. That seems to work well. Most of the stuff I have sold is baby stuff, so moms prefer being able to meet at a parking lot, car to car, so they don't have to take out their baby. I think everyone feels safer that way too.

January 17th, 2012, 4:56 pm #7

There is a little circle to hide and one to anonymize(their spelling) your email. The anonymize is blackened unless you change it. Change it to "hide" and that will cut about 95% of the spam. Just put your email in the text of the ad, and split it up like you do here to keep spambots from picking it up. Like janedoe at myemail dot com. You can put your phone number in the same way, and a lot of people type it like One23-Four56-Seven899 to keep the bots from picking it up.

Cash only, no holds unless they call and say they are on the way and it will take an hour to get there. There is absolutely no reason for paypal. They're picking it up, they can stop at the bank and get cash on the way. Paypal is only being used to scam you, so they can file a dispute later to get their money back and still keep the item.

Dh has met people in central locations, but mainly because it's easier for him. For big things, we've always had people just come to the house, and we've never had a problem. We carry whatever it is to the deck, the garage, or the driveway, and since we live in an ordinary house in an ordinary neighborhood, I've never worried that anyone is coming over just to see what they can come back for later. They probably take one look around here and reconsider even haggling over the price. And they will do that.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on January 17th, 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2012, 5:39 pm #8

When I post an ad for an item that I think will sell quickly, I include a line like this: "When you respond, let me know a day/time that you want to come by to look at the item. Email replies without this information will be ignored. I will not hold the item for anyone".

I won't deal with anyone by phone as either a buyer or a seller. Obviously this is a matter of preference since Paula won't deal with anyone BUT by phone! In my case, I use email to weed out the weirdos and also to communicate with people during the day (I can access my personal email from work and fire off quick responses to people but I cannot and will not talk with Craigslist people during the work day).