School bans lunches from home???

School bans lunches from home???

April 12th, 2011, 7:59 pm #1

http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/04/12/ ... ?GT1=43001

OK, I get their wanting kids to eat healthier. But what about parents who make too much to qualify for free or reduced lunch but don't make enough to pay for lunch? What about you wanting your kids to eat soemthing better thatn what they aerve? (see the pic in the story - ewww!).

Finally, I don't have kids, but if I did, wouldn't it be MY decision as their parent what to feed them? Seems kinda Big Brother-ish to me. If you're going to force the kid to eat there, you better start serving decent REAL food. I watched Jmaie Oliver's Food Revolution. Other than his obsession w/ the milk, I thought he made great points. That was NOT food for the most part that they served.
LisaCNC

April 12th, 2011, 8:01 pm #2

and get suspended from school for it.....

idiots!

my kids original daycare banned all outside food, due to liability/allergy etc... it really REALLY sucked.
Last edited by stina716 on April 12th, 2011, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2011, 11:10 pm #3

OK, I get their wanting kids to eat healthier. But what about parents who make too much to qualify for free or reduced lunch but don't make enough to pay for lunch? What about you wanting your kids to eat soemthing better thatn what they aerve? (see the pic in the story - ewww!).

Finally, I don't have kids, but if I did, wouldn't it be MY decision as their parent what to feed them? Seems kinda Big Brother-ish to me. If you're going to force the kid to eat there, you better start serving decent REAL food. I watched Jmaie Oliver's Food Revolution. Other than his obsession w/ the milk, I thought he made great points. That was NOT food for the most part that they served.
This is ridiculous.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 13th, 2011, 12:34 am #4

If they have issues with someone bringing chips and soda for lunch, take it up with offender - do not force everyone to eat the heat and eat frozen mystery foods that it appears they are offering.

We go to great lengths to pack a meal that grand will eat - that has calories and protein in it. It may not appear to be nutritious to some, but the whole milk pudding that she eats has more fat in it than anything else she eats, and she NEEDS it, she's 7, and we can't keep her above 50 pounds. If she will eat cheese and pudding with her strawberries the school best not mess with her!!! Lest you will be messin' with this Nana!

I can see this getting ugly FAST!
glendaMO

April 13th, 2011, 12:40 am #5

Some of the lunches my son's school provides are ridiculous. "Brunch for Lunch" is one where they serve french toast sticks with syrup and sausage. "chef's choice" always means hot dog, why don't they just write hot dog? Pizza every single Friday. Nachos, chicken nuggets, chicken rings, popcorn chicken, corndog - it's all over-processed crap. One nice thing is that they offer several choices of hot and cold veggies and fruits so there is likely to be one your kids will eat. But I doubt that a cheese sandwich, fruit, veggies, soup or just about anything I send is less healthy. I don't know if what I send is cheaper or not than buying (probably) but if someone doesn't qualify for a reduced price lunch and it's still something they can't afford, that's just wrong to make them buy it every day. I would be seriously p-o'd.

As far as allergies, my son has a peanut allergy and sits at the peanut-free table with other kids who have allergies, and it's not a small number. Everyone washes their hands after eating and it's not a big deal. Kids with allergies are usually hyper-aware of food around them and whether or not they can eat it. If ds has the slightest doubt about a food he won't eat it. The school serves all nut-free lunches so that isn't a problem, but it doesn't make the food healthier in any other way.

And the amount of food thrown away is really sad. The lunch monitors encourage the kids to eat the fruit and vegetables, but many take them and then throw them out day after day.
Last edited by SandyinMI on April 13th, 2011, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2011, 1:11 am #6

I can't imagine being forced to eat the cafeteria food--or to pay for it if you would rather pack your child's lunch. When I was growing up, my mother made us each buy our lunch once a week, and that was difficult enough for me (a fussy eater). I remember often taking a combination of different foods: hard-boiled egg, yogurt, PB&J, wonderful chicken sandwiches, homemade mac and cheese, hot soup in a thermos, etc. My mom could really pack good lunches!

April 13th, 2011, 12:32 pm #7

Ds tells me they look like onion rings, but have chicken inside. I guess the school was looking for a new way to serve processed bits of chicken.

I'm not saying ds never buys his lunch. He likes the burritos and usually has pizza on Friday. But overall so many of the lunch items look neither appetizing nor healthy. And don't even get me started on how little time they get to actually eat their lunch. Okay, end of rant.

April 13th, 2011, 5:20 pm #8

Even if my kids bought lunch every day, I would still be irked by the thought that they can never bring something from home. Both of my kids will eat school lunch but one prefers to pack and for the other I insist he pack at least twice a week to balance out the nutrition.

A better way to handle this would be to ban certain items such as soda or candy and then enforce that. Rather than banning all packed lunches.

April 14th, 2011, 12:33 pm #9

Some of the lunches my son's school provides are ridiculous. "Brunch for Lunch" is one where they serve french toast sticks with syrup and sausage. "chef's choice" always means hot dog, why don't they just write hot dog? Pizza every single Friday. Nachos, chicken nuggets, chicken rings, popcorn chicken, corndog - it's all over-processed crap. One nice thing is that they offer several choices of hot and cold veggies and fruits so there is likely to be one your kids will eat. But I doubt that a cheese sandwich, fruit, veggies, soup or just about anything I send is less healthy. I don't know if what I send is cheaper or not than buying (probably) but if someone doesn't qualify for a reduced price lunch and it's still something they can't afford, that's just wrong to make them buy it every day. I would be seriously p-o'd.

As far as allergies, my son has a peanut allergy and sits at the peanut-free table with other kids who have allergies, and it's not a small number. Everyone washes their hands after eating and it's not a big deal. Kids with allergies are usually hyper-aware of food around them and whether or not they can eat it. If ds has the slightest doubt about a food he won't eat it. The school serves all nut-free lunches so that isn't a problem, but it doesn't make the food healthier in any other way.

And the amount of food thrown away is really sad. The lunch monitors encourage the kids to eat the fruit and vegetables, but many take them and then throw them out day after day.
it is definitely cheaper to have them bring lunch.

Pizza every friday. it was like that when i was in school, and is obviously still like that in the catholic school my kids go to.

I'd have a royal canary if you told me my kid HAS to buy lunch, and then served meat on friday!

April 14th, 2011, 2:01 pm #10

If they have issues with someone bringing chips and soda for lunch, take it up with offender - do not force everyone to eat the heat and eat frozen mystery foods that it appears they are offering.

We go to great lengths to pack a meal that grand will eat - that has calories and protein in it. It may not appear to be nutritious to some, but the whole milk pudding that she eats has more fat in it than anything else she eats, and she NEEDS it, she's 7, and we can't keep her above 50 pounds. If she will eat cheese and pudding with her strawberries the school best not mess with her!!! Lest you will be messin' with this Nana!

I can see this getting ugly FAST!
While DD was growing up she had such (texture) issues with food that she very rarely ever ate a school lunch, and the fact that they want to tell me WHAT to feed my kid (makes my blood boil), when what is offered at school is slop, and honestly I wouldnt feed it to my pigs most days, and that is putting it nicely.. I work in a school, I very seldom eat a school lunch.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."