Saving gas

Saving gas

March 1st, 2011, 11:30 am #1

Every time gas starts going up we hear all about the ways to save. Some we already do just because it save time.

We went to get an eye exam the other day and as I was waiting it made me think that combining appointments does save a trip. We do stuff like this because its easier to do at one time. Even though it wasn't cheaper to have two exams at once it did save gas to do it in one trip.

Mostly I save by not going anywhere and staying home but that is not possible for everyone.

How are you saving on gas?

March 1st, 2011, 2:14 pm #2

or maybe five depends on how you want to look at it..
1.not going unless you have to
2.combining your errands
3.take turns with a friend on who drives for a shopping trip etc
4.ride the bike and same sort of idea -ride public transportion, walk if you are lucky enough to live close to where you need to go

I guess we could do mail order too if shipping was free on what we bought!

buy a car that uses less gas?

Myra in West Texas

March 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm #3

Every time gas starts going up we hear all about the ways to save. Some we already do just because it save time.

We went to get an eye exam the other day and as I was waiting it made me think that combining appointments does save a trip. We do stuff like this because its easier to do at one time. Even though it wasn't cheaper to have two exams at once it did save gas to do it in one trip.

Mostly I save by not going anywhere and staying home but that is not possible for everyone.

most of us are proably doing the things that are easily done.

My dd's new job is about 30 miles from her house - she will be staying overnight, with her sister who lives less than 10 miles from her new job, a couple times a week.

I live 35 miles from work - I've considered working 2 12 hour days/week so that I don't have to drive so often. The biggest issue with that, is that I am often on committees and have meetings, and I suspect I'd find myself having to drive to work to attend them even if I wasn't scheduled to be at work.
glendaMO

March 1st, 2011, 3:52 pm #4

or maybe five depends on how you want to look at it..
1.not going unless you have to
2.combining your errands
3.take turns with a friend on who drives for a shopping trip etc
4.ride the bike and same sort of idea -ride public transportion, walk if you are lucky enough to live close to where you need to go

I guess we could do mail order too if shipping was free on what we bought!

buy a car that uses less gas?

Myra in West Texas
I tried that. Didn't work out for me.

I do try to just not drive around aimlessly.

March 1st, 2011, 4:14 pm #5

Today won't be one of them, but I'm pretty sure I can get by with driving less than 10 miles. And that will be doubling up errands...of course. I never leave the house for just one thing.

March 1st, 2011, 4:48 pm #6

Growing up i lived 25 miles from school, stores, anything. Where i live now is just outside of "town" (4 mi) but the only thing in town is a supermarket and blockbuster (well blockbuster is an extra mile out), 11 miles from the kids school, and 37 miles from work.

I cannot fathom a 10 mile DAY!!

March 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm #7

I think I'm close to WM, and the grocery store is between WM and my house, but the round trip to WM would be at least 7-8 miles, I can't imagine keeping my normal driving to less than 10 miles a day. Neither dh nor I would make half what we're making if we opted to work in our home town, there just aren't opportunities for either of our skill sets.

I am 35 miles to work, 70 miles round trip, but I do get my errands done while there.

I am tring to get my ducks in a row this afternoon, so instead of driving home, I can go by my dd's and pick up dinner (I can drop it off in the morning), and take it to a friends house to visit. I'll be putting 100 miles or so on my car - many more if I return to my house to get dinner.

I'm sure there are more ways to save money in the day's events.

However, I am not about to skip spending time with good friends (she is on Hospice), while I have the chance.

Some things in life just aren't about money.
glendaMO

March 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm #8

...just today. I live 4-5 miles from a town where I couldn't do anything except shop for groceries when I first moved here, over 13 years ago. I still can't buy clothing, except at Wal-Mart, but in a pinch I can get everything I need here now. Today I'm taking the truck to the body shop for a minor fix and buying groceries. 10 miles = that's it for TODAY.

March 1st, 2011, 8:33 pm #9

My uncle is a long haul, over the road, independent truck driver. If there's anyone in the world who should get worked up about gas prices increasing 50 cents a gallon, it's him.

He NEVER complains about gas prices. As he puts it, "People complain about paying an extra quarter for a gallon of gas and then go inside the station and pay $1.99 for 12 ounces of water!!!!"

Moral of the story....we complain about gas prices because we don't really want to buy it yet feel that we have no choice in the matter. When we have the choice about how to spend our money, we think nothing of spending it frivolously on things far more expensive than gasoline.

March 1st, 2011, 10:36 pm #10

It makes the prices of my other stuff go up, too - groceries, etc.

I haven't done a lot of grocery shopping lately, but I will need to soon. I am dreading it after hearing others talk about how much stuff has gone up lately.
LisaCNC