Rx swim goggles?

Rx swim goggles?

April 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm #1

Does anyone know if you have to buy these from an optical place, or if you can get them off the shelf, like drugstore glasses. Any idea what these cost? DD is blind as a bat in the pool without her glasses. I couldn't really duplicate her prescription with ready-mades, but I could improve things a lot for her. She can't swim yet, but she never will if she can't see. And I don't want to $pend for goggles made to her exact Rx until she can.

April 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm #2

you can order prescription swim goggles for as little as $30!

May 1st, 2012, 1:51 am #3

Does anyone know if you have to buy these from an optical place, or if you can get them off the shelf, like drugstore glasses. Any idea what these cost? DD is blind as a bat in the pool without her glasses. I couldn't really duplicate her prescription with ready-mades, but I could improve things a lot for her. She can't swim yet, but she never will if she can't see. And I don't want to $pend for goggles made to her exact Rx until she can.
I went online and checked U.S. sources. I ended up ordering two pairs of goggles for $25.89 including Priority Mail shipping from swimoutlet.com. DD is blind as a bat in one eye and not so bad in the other: -6.00 and -2.25. So I bought both and will change out one of the lenses. These really weren't any more expensive than most non-Rx goggles and if the lens switch goes well, I'm going to be happy.

Thanks for the info, Patsy. I wouldn't mind ordering from Canada except it takes longer.

May 3rd, 2012, 9:27 pm #4

I ordered 2 pairs of Sporti Rx googles from swimoutlet.com for $7.99 each. One was the -6.00 Rx for her right eye, and one the -2.00 Rx for the left. They were simple to switch--just popped off one eye at the nosepiece, and popped the other one on. Then, I discovered that there was no difference between the top and bottom, meaning you could wear the goggles upside down. So we popped the opposite lens in the second pair of goggles, and now she has two pairs of Rx goggles for $15.98 plus shipping! You can't tell the second pair is upside down unless you notice that the Sporti logo on the band is upside down...big deal! I was also able to write her name and phone number on the inside of the band with a Sharpie.

I ordered these Monday night, they shipped Tuesday morning, and because I paid $10 for shipping instead of $5, they arrived here in two days--less than 72 hours after ordering. Great service!

May 3rd, 2012, 9:32 pm #5

I hope she enjoys swimming! I need to take lessons myself.
LisaCNC

May 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm #6

I ordered 2 pairs of Sporti Rx googles from swimoutlet.com for $7.99 each. One was the -6.00 Rx for her right eye, and one the -2.00 Rx for the left. They were simple to switch--just popped off one eye at the nosepiece, and popped the other one on. Then, I discovered that there was no difference between the top and bottom, meaning you could wear the goggles upside down. So we popped the opposite lens in the second pair of goggles, and now she has two pairs of Rx goggles for $15.98 plus shipping! You can't tell the second pair is upside down unless you notice that the Sporti logo on the band is upside down...big deal! I was also able to write her name and phone number on the inside of the band with a Sharpie.

I ordered these Monday night, they shipped Tuesday morning, and because I paid $10 for shipping instead of $5, they arrived here in two days--less than 72 hours after ordering. Great service!
Can't wait to hear how they work out for her in the water.

May 4th, 2012, 11:57 am #7

Good thinking!

May 4th, 2012, 1:01 pm #8

I bet she'll learn quick now that she can see!!