revisiting the past: please share (again) lowest-cost low-carb foods and recipes!

revisiting the past: please share (again) lowest-cost low-carb foods and recipes!

January 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm #1

I don't remember what I wrote about our financial goals for 2010, but to reach them we will need to spend as little as possible on groceries. I am fully prepared to feed my family cheap crappy food for a year. The only problem with that is that I can't eat boxed macaroni-and-cheese, spaghetti, and peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwiches! Help me brainstorm gluten-free, low-carb foods on the cheap!

I've been trying to keep a head of regular lettuce and a pack of romaine lettuce on hand for salads. I always have shredded cheeses on hand, and usually have bacon bits (both from Sam's Club) on hand. So salads are in.

There are egg dishes...which I eat...but don't like.

I've got pumpkin muffins on hand right now (almond flour and pumpkin "pound cake" recipe, made into muffins...not my favorite but edible. but probably not very cheap).

I served beans and rice and cheese to the fam for supper yesterday. I just had the beans and cheese.

What else?

THANKS!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

January 4th, 2011, 7:20 pm #2

it's been a long time since dh tried to do low carb, and we've never gone gluten free, so I may toss out some things that would NOT work... but maybe they'll give you ideas?

Tuna salad - over tomato/lettuce or on a few crackers
Omelets
Crustless Quiche
?gluten free pizza
Soups - like chili, stew, tomato, veggie beef minus the potatos
Taco's - on corn tortillas?
Frito pie (fritos with chili and cheese)
My personal favorite lunch when doing low carb was raw fruits and veggies with cheese and peanut butter - apples, banana's, grapes, orange slices...
glendaMO

January 4th, 2011, 10:10 pm #3

I don't remember what I wrote about our financial goals for 2010, but to reach them we will need to spend as little as possible on groceries. I am fully prepared to feed my family cheap crappy food for a year. The only problem with that is that I can't eat boxed macaroni-and-cheese, spaghetti, and peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwiches! Help me brainstorm gluten-free, low-carb foods on the cheap!

I've been trying to keep a head of regular lettuce and a pack of romaine lettuce on hand for salads. I always have shredded cheeses on hand, and usually have bacon bits (both from Sam's Club) on hand. So salads are in.

I've got pumpkin muffins on hand right now (almond flour and pumpkin "pound cake" recipe, made into muffins...not my favorite but edible. but probably not very cheap).

I served beans and rice and cheese to the fam for supper yesterday. I just had the beans and cheese.

What else?

THANKS!

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
I can give you gluten free food ideas, but it would help if you said what you can get for a good price first. For example- chili is not EVER a cheap meal at my house, but we quite like it and have it a couple times a month. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are pretty cheap and we usually have them once a week or so. Tomatoes are expensive, but ground meat is free.

January 5th, 2011, 4:11 am #4

we'll be taking our steer in to be butchered. That will give us all the meat we'll need for a year or more. So any beef dish will be in, starting in about a month.

tonight i made pasta for the family. I used two pounds of Aldi penne rigate noodles, three jars of Aldi sauce, about a pound of ground beef, browned, and a 1 lb bag of meatballs. There is enough left for two people to eat it for lunch tomorrow. For me, I layered a couple slices of ham lunch meat, meat sauce, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella. It was wonderful.

I can get frozen chicken breast for under $2 a pound. Eckrich hot dogs are .91/lb this week, so I'll be buying a couple cases of those to toss in the freezer. I can't eat Eckrich, though. I really think there are wheat ingredients in there, because I always have one of my gluten belly aches after eating them.

I can get dried beans relatively cheaply, but no one except me and dh like cooked beans, really. We like chili and we like white chicken chili, but those aren't "cheap" meals.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide! There will be a lot of salad and sandwiches.

Blessings,

Bethann

January 5th, 2011, 4:39 am #5

If you cook dry beans and use beef from your own steer. What else is in there besides tomatoes, onions and seasonings? (I agree, white chili is not cheap).

January 5th, 2011, 4:39 am #6

What else?

THANKS!

Blessings,

Bethann

Check out this thread in the recipe archives. It might give you some ideas too.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/501970/m ... n+board%29

Here are some ideas off the top of my head. I know NOTHING about gluten free so here are my low carb ideas.

--spaghetti--use 'noodles' made out of shredded cabbage, zucchini or spaghetti squash for the low carb version
--meatloaf--made with some shredded cheese thrown in instead of bread crumbs
--ground beef mixed with Rotel (canned tomatoes and chilis). If you can eat it, this is great with some cream chees mixed in.
--chicken shredded with Rotel and cream cheese
--tuna salad
--chicken salad
--pizza in a bowl--melt cheese and pepperoni (I don't even use sauce and don't miss it)
--bologna (fry it for a better flavor) It isn't something to eat all the time but it is cheap.
--hot dogs
--taco salad without the chips
--taco meat with a good serving of sour cream and a little salsa on top
--hamburger without the bun (serve with ketchup, mustard and pickle)
--hamburger steak
--grilled chicken
--baked chicken
--chicken shredded with taco seasoning
--omelet with any leftover meat and veggies
--quiche (seems less 'eggy' tasting to me) (**edited this post to say....crustless for low carb! LOL)
--sausage and eggs
--chili made with less beans and more ground meat
--chicken soup made with lots of meat and some veggies (no noodles)
--beef soup with no noodles or rice
--enchiladas made with thin sliced turkey or ham for the tortilla(I use the WalMart brand for this)
--lasagna made with no noodles (I use George Stella's recipe that is named Meat Lasagna) Basically it is double the meat (2 lbs), put it and the sauce on the bottom, put cottage cheese mixed with some shredded mozarella and an egg in the middle and then top with a generous helping of mozarella cheese on top. If you let it sit for a few minutes before cutting, it sets up better and you don't miss the noodles.
--stir fry
--chicken with pizza sauce and cheese over it

Don't forget low carb veggies:
broccoli
celery
carrots (I use them even though they are a little higher carb)
green beans (I rarely eat them any way but roasted)
squash (I eat summer squash (the yellow squash) all the time
tomatoes (aren't the lowest carb but I use them sparingly)
brussel sprouts if you like them
cilantro--not a veggie but it is wonderful to add fresh cilantro to the top a taco salad
green peppers
onions (I use them sparingly)
cabbage--wonderful sautee'd in butter, wonderful in stir fry, good in soup, great to use shredded and cooked for noodles, good just boiled in water and salt (you get the point) I love cabbage! Don't forget coleslaw too.

Here is a site I've given you before but it is worth repeating.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Tammy
Last edited by TammyL on January 5th, 2011, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 5th, 2011, 7:11 am #7

Today we started LC again. Going to be slim pickings around here all week. DH was in charge of food budget while I worked OT all this week. He and the boys had a wonderful week of take out and donuts!
We have things LC to eat but not a variety.
Putting my grocery list together for a big shopping trip monday morning. Will be checking out recipes all week and tweaking my list.

January 5th, 2011, 3:37 pm #8

If you cook dry beans and use beef from your own steer. What else is in there besides tomatoes, onions and seasonings? (I agree, white chili is not cheap).
Tomatoes and tomato sauce are not cheap for me. Sometimes I buy canned tomatoes and do my own blending or a can of tomato sauce and add my own spices. I can't tell you the last time I bought a pre-made sauce. Never in this city- I can tell you that!

I dug out my bill from yesterday to check the price. I bought two cans of tomato sauce at $1.99 each- so this month we'll have two tomato meals. Probably something chili-ish with tortilla chips. The regular price was $2.49 each. It is a can that holds almost 2 3/4 cups.

January 5th, 2011, 4:30 pm #9

Hence, white chili. Basically, it's cooked chopped chicken, white beans (navy, northern, whatever), a can of green chiles, onions, garlic, cumin, chicken broth, cayenne pepper (just a little), and some salt and pepper. Don't have the exact recipe w/ me.
LisaCNC

January 5th, 2011, 4:34 pm #10

Or if you ocudl get a good deal on some leg quarters instead of white meat.

Actually, I don't put a whole lot of meat in mine anyway. If you need the protein, put some more of the beans in (and cook them from dry rather than canned to save $$), although that's not low carb, right???
LisaCNC