Protecting a Wooden Dining room table

Protecting a Wooden Dining room table

May 10th, 2011, 3:48 pm #1

We have a gorgeous solid cherry dining room set that our neighbor gave us a few years ago. He just bought a fancy custom table and wanted that one out of his house ASAP. With two messy eaters, I need some way to protect it. I always keep it covered with a white vinyl table protector, but the problem is that the white vinyl is getting stained and it's textured so it's difficult to clean.

I'd love to get a plexiglass table-top cover the table, but plexiglass is really expensive and it would be over $300. Glass would probably be around $250, but I worry about them dropping a plate or glass on it and breaking it.

I've thought about having DH laminate a piece of formica to a 1/4" sheet of particle board and using that for a table top, but he says that would still cost $60 or so.

Any ideas?

May 10th, 2011, 3:55 pm #2

Have your DH cut hardboard to fit and skip the laminate. Keep the plastic pad (I have one of those, too) underneath the hardboard. When the hardboard gets nasty, spray paint it. Or maybe you can do that first. Otherwise, I can't think of anything you haven't mentioned. My friend Betsy has one of those folding custom-made table toppers but she doesn't have two kids under the age of 5.

May 10th, 2011, 3:58 pm #3

We have a gorgeous solid cherry dining room set that our neighbor gave us a few years ago. He just bought a fancy custom table and wanted that one out of his house ASAP. With two messy eaters, I need some way to protect it. I always keep it covered with a white vinyl table protector, but the problem is that the white vinyl is getting stained and it's textured so it's difficult to clean.

I'd love to get a plexiglass table-top cover the table, but plexiglass is really expensive and it would be over $300. Glass would probably be around $250, but I worry about them dropping a plate or glass on it and breaking it.

I've thought about having DH laminate a piece of formica to a 1/4" sheet of particle board and using that for a table top, but he says that would still cost $60 or so.

Any ideas?
My mom's dining table was always covered with a nice cloth tablecloth.... but we didn't eat off it. Under it, was a cheap vinyl flannel backed cloth, that we ate off of.

She now has a custom set of 'cushions' (the custom folding table protectors Maxine referred to) that rest on top of the table, and the cloth table cloth goes over it. It's weathered the storm of all 5 grandchildren, and now 2 great grands - the table still looks neew.

I'm still trying to figure out what she's saving the table top for. It's gorgeous - but it's covered, so it just as well have been a plexiglass table top.

Use it - or cover it with glass - I think if the glass is tabletop glass, ie. thick, you won't need to worry about breaking the tabletop.

FWIW, my dining room table was not $$$, but it was pretty, we've about worn the finish off of it over the years. I plan to replace it soon, with our growing family, it's hard for all of us to sit around the table these days.
Last edited by glendaMO on May 10th, 2011, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glendaMO

May 10th, 2011, 4:19 pm #4

Any ideas?
always had a nice tablecloth, covered by a large sheet of plastic.

now she goes through the vinyl tablecloths, like at Glenda's mom's - with the fancy tablecloth on top. Even with eating on the vinyl - you still have a vinyl placemat!

No one ever sees the table top unless we're putting in/taking out the exetension leaves (which dad made two more so they don't match)

It's a fairly ugly table, she didn't care about staining the thing, she just doesn't want spills soaking into the wood and warping it. which at 47 yo, the table doesn't have any knicks or warps or stains.

May 10th, 2011, 5:29 pm #5

Any ideas?
is enjoy that beautiful table. That is why we have beautiful items to look at yes but its a bonus when its useful also. So we have to learn to take care of and respect our things. And if something terrible does happen. Well its only a thing and in the long run it really is not that important to me.

We have a wood table that I use place mats on, which soak up most spills. And if something is spilled I just get right up and clean it.
Last edited by sameoleCCTX on May 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2011, 5:44 pm #6

Any ideas?
Have you tried washing the vinyl in your washing machine? I've washed my in-laws disgusting flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths in the washer before and they came really clean. I may have used the soak cycle first because they were really filthy.

I only use tablecloths for large family gatherings because someone always spills water or gravy or whatever. It's more to protect the floor than the table though. I prefer to see the wood every day. I'd stick with the tablecloth for a couple more years until the kids are old enough to learn to be neater and then go without. Or as others have suggested, a cloth one over the plastic.

May 10th, 2011, 5:52 pm #7

Any ideas?
Cetol is a marine-grade wood protectant--kind of like polyurethane but less shiny. Boaters use it on the wooden parts of their boats and it withstands lots of sun and water spray. My DH puts it on his boat. We have a beautiful oak table that's seen lots of use over the years. I would periodically sand it and re-varnish it and after a few years it would look cruddy again. The last time I sanded the table, DH put 2 coats of Cetol on it--that was about 7 years ago. I can wipe off the table with a damp sponge whenever things get spilled and it looks good as new.

May 10th, 2011, 6:05 pm #8

Any ideas?
When we had a nice table I bought a pad from this company. It was thick and nice and worked wonderfully. When we had company it came off the table so it could be seen and enjoyed but
went back on to be eaten off of. lol

It was heat safe to 450 degrees and I loved that thing. Mom had a set of covers made for her
table when we were kids that lasted till she died, at least 45 years. Her table needed to be
refinished but there were no scratches or damage on it.

Missy

May 10th, 2011, 10:02 pm #9

Any ideas?
i had a piece protecting a table and when i went to remove it the vinyl was stuck to the table and left a sticky residue on the wood. vinyl when aging can develop a sticky surface so maybe a cloth layer in between would prevent that from happening.

May 11th, 2011, 12:41 am #10

Any ideas?
We have a nice teak table that we purchase before the kids. We usually cover it with a fabric washable tablecloth. At the hardware store they have rolls of clear plastic, we had them cut to fit over the fabric tablecloth. Cost about $5. We just wipe the clear plastic after every meal. Lasts us about 2-3 years.