Planning a vacation

Planning a vacation

April 23rd, 2012, 11:44 pm #1

I received an email from DH while he was at work today. This year's National 4h conference is in Orlando Florida and his boss approved the family to come along. I am SO EXCITED! There will be costs involved of course but we are getting a great deal by tagging along. We will be going in October and staying at the Hilton at Disney for 5 days. We are then going to the Disney Sports resort for 2 additional days. This will be our first week long vacation as a family. This will also be the kids first plane ride and DH's second. I traveled extensively when I was young and I am so glad that my kids will get a chance to travel as well.

We haven't told the kids yet so DH and I haven't had a chance to discuss details etc. A trip to the ocean is mandatory for me. We will probably be looking at ways to be frugal as well (of course). Just wanted to share my unexpected good news on this cold wet day.

Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. I have traveled all over Florida but I haven't been to Orlando in 20 years. I know the kids would be happy to spend every minute at Disney but I want a well rounded trip.

April 24th, 2012, 12:29 am #2

What a nice blessing! We have taken our kids on alot of vacations but never to Disney. It's just so expensive! Have fun planning your vacation and I bet your kids are going to be so excited, you have to tape their reaction to watch it years from now!
Jaime

April 24th, 2012, 2:38 am #3

I received an email from DH while he was at work today. This year's National 4h conference is in Orlando Florida and his boss approved the family to come along. I am SO EXCITED! There will be costs involved of course but we are getting a great deal by tagging along. We will be going in October and staying at the Hilton at Disney for 5 days. We are then going to the Disney Sports resort for 2 additional days. This will be our first week long vacation as a family. This will also be the kids first plane ride and DH's second. I traveled extensively when I was young and I am so glad that my kids will get a chance to travel as well.

We haven't told the kids yet so DH and I haven't had a chance to discuss details etc. A trip to the ocean is mandatory for me. We will probably be looking at ways to be frugal as well (of course). Just wanted to share my unexpected good news on this cold wet day.

Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. I have traveled all over Florida but I haven't been to Orlando in 20 years. I know the kids would be happy to spend every minute at Disney but I want a well rounded trip.
...how old your kids are? I know that you have a son and a daughter but can't recall which is oldest.

I was just in Florida two weeks ago (Tampa & Orlando) and travelled with kids this time, so I may have some suggestions if the kids' ages are compatible.

April 24th, 2012, 3:13 am #4

My kids would have loved a trip like that.

Can't help you on any planning as I've never been to Florida, but plan for it to be hot.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 24th, 2012, 3:10 pm #5

see if they are offering any YES classes at Disney during your trip. The kids do a class and get really good prices on park tickets. They have classes about physics, science, anlimals, all kinds of neat stuff!

http://www.disneyyouth.com/youth-education-series/
LisaCNC

April 24th, 2012, 3:31 pm #6

...how old your kids are? I know that you have a son and a daughter but can't recall which is oldest.

I was just in Florida two weeks ago (Tampa & Orlando) and travelled with kids this time, so I may have some suggestions if the kids' ages are compatible.
DS will be just shy of 12 and DD almost 9 (now I feel really old)

April 24th, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

Cocoa Beach is the closest (about an hr away), but supposedly the Gulf side beaches are better. I think the Clearwater area is about 2 hrs away. I've never been on the Florida Gulf side, so I can't give a personal opinion.
LisaCNC

April 24th, 2012, 5:52 pm #8

My son was 5 at the time and he loved it.
At 30 he still remembers it.

Missy

April 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm #9

Cocoa Beach is the closest (about an hr away), but supposedly the Gulf side beaches are better. I think the Clearwater area is about 2 hrs away. I've never been on the Florida Gulf side, so I can't give a personal opinion.
White sugar sand and turquoise water. That is NOT what they look like on the Atlantic side.

April 24th, 2012, 9:37 pm #10

I have spent a great deal of time in the clearwater area, my aunt lived there for 20 years. I wish we had time to visit St. Augustine, Sanibel Island and the JAcksonville area. Hopefully this will be the start of many family vacations.

Truth be told, Florida would be my last choice. I have been there over 50 times, often staying for a few weeks at a time. I find it to be highly commercialized and severely congested.