Pilling a dog

Pilling a dog

August 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm #1

I have to give Lulu several pills a day. The thyroid medication is chewable and is supposed to taste like liver and beef--yum, yum! But the arthritis pill requires more effort from me to get it down. Previously, I'd been burying it in cheese or turkey or whatever, but she always knew it was there and sometimes would spit it out. The auto mechanic and his dog introduced me to Greenies Pill Pockets, which you can buy at Petco, Pet Smart, etc., and at my vet. Lulu thinks they are a treat. They are kinda pricey ($5 or so for 30) but they work. They are also soft enough that you can pinch them shut and it would be VERY hard for the dog to get the pill out, even a pro like Lulu.

As for pilling a cat...fortunately I don't have a cat! I imagine that could be a real scratch and hiss job. However, I'm told there is a similar product for pilling cats. (Probably smells like 3-week-old mackeral). I don't know the name, but any pet store could lead you right to them. (Or you might smell your way to them).

August 16th, 2011, 4:57 pm #2

For a cat (or small dog) get on your knees, sit back, and have the animal trapped between your legs and slightly squished. Use one hand to pull up on the upper jaw, which causes their mouth to open, and use a finger or two from the other hand to drop the pill down their throat. Helps if you have the pill slightly buttered, it goes down easier and doesn't taste as nasty for them.

August 16th, 2011, 5:24 pm #3

I have to give Lulu several pills a day. The thyroid medication is chewable and is supposed to taste like liver and beef--yum, yum! But the arthritis pill requires more effort from me to get it down. Previously, I'd been burying it in cheese or turkey or whatever, but she always knew it was there and sometimes would spit it out. The auto mechanic and his dog introduced me to Greenies Pill Pockets, which you can buy at Petco, Pet Smart, etc., and at my vet. Lulu thinks they are a treat. They are kinda pricey ($5 or so for 30) but they work. They are also soft enough that you can pinch them shut and it would be VERY hard for the dog to get the pill out, even a pro like Lulu.

As for pilling a cat...fortunately I don't have a cat! I imagine that could be a real scratch and hiss job. However, I'm told there is a similar product for pilling cats. (Probably smells like 3-week-old mackeral). I don't know the name, but any pet store could lead you right to them. (Or you might smell your way to them).
is very curious, if she sees me put something in her food bowl, she will dig to the bottom of the food bowl, to eat her pills first, lol. Her vitamin E is better than a treat, lol!
glendaMO

August 16th, 2011, 6:17 pm #4

When the kids were little and ate at the bar, there would be crumbs under their chair when they were done. The dog wasn't allowed under foot or under table while we ate (I hate a begging dog when I'm trying to eat), but as soon as the kids were done, I'd tell the dog she could get up and she would run over to the chairs and wolf down everything under them. This is the dog who, like yours, would not take a pill, even when it was wrapped in cheese. She wouldn't eat those heartguard that looked like treats either. So one day I just tossed the pill under the kids' chairs with the crumbs and the dog wolfed it down with all the crumbs and never even knew she ate it. From then on, that's how she got her pill.

Now the cat is a problem. To get him to take the bitter sedative, I mixed it with tuna and he wouldn't touch it. Finally crushed it and mixed it with some cream and smeared it on his feet. He didn't like that at all and licked his feet clean.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 16th, 2011, 6:39 pm #5

TNetter, you've got to be one of the most creative ladies I know!
glendaMO

August 16th, 2011, 7:53 pm #6

We cat-sat for some friends a couple of weeks ago. They have four cats and the oldest one has to get a liquid medication, which comes in a syringe. Since getting the syringe into the cat's mouth doesn't work well, they shoot the medication into a pill-pocket and give that to the cat.

August 16th, 2011, 9:29 pm #7

TNetter, you've got to be one of the most creative ladies I know!
but some things just happen on their own.

------

August 17th, 2011, 7:09 pm #8

When the kids were little and ate at the bar, there would be crumbs under their chair when they were done. The dog wasn't allowed under foot or under table while we ate (I hate a begging dog when I'm trying to eat), but as soon as the kids were done, I'd tell the dog she could get up and she would run over to the chairs and wolf down everything under them. This is the dog who, like yours, would not take a pill, even when it was wrapped in cheese. She wouldn't eat those heartguard that looked like treats either. So one day I just tossed the pill under the kids' chairs with the crumbs and the dog wolfed it down with all the crumbs and never even knew she ate it. From then on, that's how she got her pill.

Now the cat is a problem. To get him to take the bitter sedative, I mixed it with tuna and he wouldn't touch it. Finally crushed it and mixed it with some cream and smeared it on his feet. He didn't like that at all and licked his feet clean.

------
Hehe, that's great!! nt