Payday is tomorrow for us. Planning out the budget/menu, etc. What's on your menu?

Payday is tomorrow for us. Planning out the budget/menu, etc. What's on your menu?

November 3rd, 2011, 12:11 pm #1

Trying to keep it super simple, easy to make, cheap to buy here. What are you making in the next two weeks?

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

November 3rd, 2011, 1:08 pm #2

I actually get to stay home this weekend (no chemo this week), so I'm hoping I can squeak in time to make a big pot of soup to package up and put in the freezer. Plus, I want to finally see what's in the freezer and come up w/ some crockpot ideas with it.
LisaCNC

November 3rd, 2011, 1:16 pm #3

Trying to keep it super simple, easy to make, cheap to buy here. What are you making in the next two weeks?

Blessings,

Bethann

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
At least two of our posters, PaulaF and Carol (CT on a Budget) have created templates to help them plan menus. For example, fish on Friday, pasta on Saturday and chicken on Sunday, etc. (Maybe those folks would be willing to post their templates again?). That might help you come up with menus on a continuing basis. Also, as you choose menus for the next two weeks, give some thought to which can be prepped ahead, or cooked in the Crock Pot, or started by some other member of the family.

Do you know which meats you will be buying or have on hand this week? For instance, if you know chickens are .79 lb. and pork loin is $2.29, we can give you ideas using those foods. And if you've got a freezer full of beef, knowing that would help us, too.

Veggies--the best deals on fresh ones here have been squash and cabbage.

November 3rd, 2011, 4:05 pm #4

Blessings,

Bethann

Max, I have beef and chicken on hand for the next several months, so pork and/or fish has to be DIRT cheap for me to buy any. I'm figuring eggs (also on hand from our own chickens), toast, cereal (lots on hand) for breakfasts, and lunch meat (on hand) or pb and j sandwiches, or leftovers, for lunches. Abby supplies a lot of the cereal, bread, milk, little stuff as we need it. I planned 10 suppers, figuring two leftover or grilled cheese type meals twice each week. These are not all cheap, but even the lasagna is cheaper than buying fast food for all of us.

Tacos
Homemade pizza
Chicken parmesan w/ spaghetti
Lasagna, garlic bread, salad
White chicken chili, corn bread
Roast, potatoes, carrots (crock pot)
Baked chicken leg quarters, mashed potatoes, green beans
Nachos with canned chili and cheddar
hamburgers and fries
black bean burritos

Blessings,

Bethann

November 3rd, 2011, 9:08 pm #5

Blessings,

Bethann

But here's this week's menu:

egg rolls
homemade mac n cheese, peas
lentil and cauliflower curry over rice
meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn or carrots
bean soup, cornbread (2 hambones in the freezer)
hot dogs, onion potatoes, zucchini or broccoli

I never plan 7 days of menus, there will be leftovers.

November 3rd, 2011, 9:24 pm #6

At least two of our posters, PaulaF and Carol (CT on a Budget) have created templates to help them plan menus. For example, fish on Friday, pasta on Saturday and chicken on Sunday, etc. (Maybe those folks would be willing to post their templates again?). That might help you come up with menus on a continuing basis. Also, as you choose menus for the next two weeks, give some thought to which can be prepped ahead, or cooked in the Crock Pot, or started by some other member of the family.

Do you know which meats you will be buying or have on hand this week? For instance, if you know chickens are .79 lb. and pork loin is $2.29, we can give you ideas using those foods. And if you've got a freezer full of beef, knowing that would help us, too.

Veggies--the best deals on fresh ones here have been squash and cabbage.
I have 8 weeks of planned menus that I rotate. I keep them in plastic page protectors in a notebook, and when it's time to go grocery shopping, I look through the ingredients, strike out the ingredients I have here with a sharpie, and buy what's left, then when I get home, I clean off the plastic page. They're arranged by aisle in the grocery store so I can get out of there faster. Monday is always my day to either experiment with a new recipe or put in an old favorite (or use up leftovers from the previous weekend). I try to have a vegetarian meal at least twice a week, and a heart healthy meat at least twice a week.

Here's week one.

Menu 1

Mon.: New/Used Recipe: ______________________
Located: _________________________
Tue: Chicken Cacciatore
Corn on the cob
Rolls
Wed.: Vegetable Soup
Buttermilk Biscuits
Thu.: Chicken Pot Pie
Strawberry Nut Bread
Fri: Pizza/Pepperoni/Black Olive/Hamburger
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sat: Vegetable Pasta e Fagioli
Brown Rice
Rolls
Sun.: Special Meat - Roast
Potatoes and carrots
Rolls
Pecan pie

Week 1 Shopping List

Pet Aisle
Cat food
Aisle 3
Coffee
Tea
Aisle 4
Cereal
Cornflakes
Aisle 5
Corn starch
Minced onions
Minced garlic
Dried parsley
Basil
Oregano
Crisco 3 lb
Veg Oil
Coconut Oil 31.5oz
Olive oil
Bulk all-purpose flour 25 lbs
Flour - whole wheat
Flour - bread 5 lb
Red Star Yeast 4 oz
Baking powder
Baking soda
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
White Sugar 4 lb
Brown Sugar
Chocolate Chips
Pecans
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Dark Karo syrup
Aisle 6 canned veg
Brown Rice
Chicken bouillon
Corn
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Great Northern Beans 15 oz
Green beans
Green peas
Lipton Onion Soup 2pk
Stuffing Mix
Aisle 7
Diced Tomatoes 28 oz
Stewed Tomatoes 15 oz
Tomato sauce
Tomato paste
Black olives 2.25 oz
Rotini pasta 16oz
Tuna
Aisle 8
Bread
Salad Dressing
Aisle 11
Angel Soft TP 24 roll
Kleenex
Center Aisle
Eggs (18 ct lg)
Milk organic whole gal
Back Row
Buttermilk
Butter 1 lb
Left side
Mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni slices
Chicken, frozen 6 lb
Hamburger meat
Chuck roast
Produce
Potatoes 5lb
Carrots 5 lb
Yellow Onion
Corn on the cob
Garlic
Celery
Zuchinni
Parsley

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 5th, 2011, 4:52 pm #7

Blessings,

Bethann

Shrimp & pasta with lemon garlic sauce, green beans & breadstix
Lazagne, brocolli & garlic bread
Chicken leg quarters, baked sweet potatoes, & corn
Chicken sausage on hotdog buns $ fries
Chicken wings, baded beans & salad
Ribs (leftover from the freezer) potatoes & salad
Soup & sandwich or frozen pizza on the nights I have class

November 6th, 2011, 1:56 pm #8

Blessings,

Bethann

This past week was off due to power outages, but here's what's on deck this week:

Sun-roast chicken, gravy, brown rice, mashed butternut squash, sauteed Kale with garlic, cranberry sauce

Mon-frozen shrinmp scampi served over angel hair pasta, salad, green beans

Tues-Crock pot Swiss steaks, egg boodles, steamed broccoli

Wed-hamburger and macaroni, salad

Th-Crockpot stuffed peppers, corn

Fri-home made pizza

Sat-chicken rice soup (homemade), crackers

November 6th, 2011, 2:13 pm #9

Blessings,

Bethann

Salad with chicken fingers
Homemade Egg rolls and baked apples
Ribs, baked potatos
Beef pot pie
Chicken Noodles
Salmon Patties, Mac & Cheese

For lunches we'll be having leftovers, PB and celery, PB and apples, crackers and hummus, pimento cheese sandwiches

We'll end up eating a few meals out, as we'll be traveling a couple days this week. Our eating out has decreased to about once a week - which is easier on the budget.
glendaMO

November 6th, 2011, 2:22 pm #10

My daughter is working nights, so her 7 year old is with us on the w/ends frequently.

Yesterday, she opened my refrigerator door, and looked around, as she closed the door, empty handed, she looked at me and said "all you have to eat is a refrigerator full of ingredients", LOL!

I proceeded to involve her in turning those ingredients into lunch, but got a good chuckle out of her observation.
glendaMO