Organizational issues: Filing

Organizational issues: Filing

July 26th, 2011, 5:59 pm #1

How do you file warranty and instruction books? Years ago, I bought an alphabetical expanding file, and it's served me well. But it is stuffed so full (even after cleaning it out) that it's tearing out at the bottom. Problem is some extra-large instruction books that came with power tools, pellet stove, etc. If I take them out and do something else with them, I've defeated the whole idea of having everything in one place. Do you have a "one place" idea that might work for me?

Also, my 2 drawer file cabinet, in which I keep all important papers, is letter size. But I own 3 properties with legal size closing documents. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind a portable file box for just those things, but don't recall seeing anything very portable that would accommodate legal size. It doesn't need to be very big, which is why I haven't bought a legal size file box.

July 26th, 2011, 9:00 pm #2

Can you scan the documents into your computer? Then you could throw them away.

OR most manuals are now online. Search online for the manual and download it onto your computer and then throw the book away.

Here is a link for ideas:http://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/us ... anties-etc

Unclutterer.com is a very good site with lots of ideas for decluttering.

The legal size documents -- A few years ago, I bought legal-size plastic manuscript pouches (I think that is what they are called) at the office supply store. They would hold just those few files. They cost about $10 each.

July 27th, 2011, 3:30 am #3

How do you file warranty and instruction books? Years ago, I bought an alphabetical expanding file, and it's served me well. But it is stuffed so full (even after cleaning it out) that it's tearing out at the bottom. Problem is some extra-large instruction books that came with power tools, pellet stove, etc. If I take them out and do something else with them, I've defeated the whole idea of having everything in one place. Do you have a "one place" idea that might work for me?

Also, my 2 drawer file cabinet, in which I keep all important papers, is letter size. But I own 3 properties with legal size closing documents. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind a portable file box for just those things, but don't recall seeing anything very portable that would accommodate legal size. It doesn't need to be very big, which is why I haven't bought a legal size file box.
I'd probably go with two expanding files if one isn't big enough. If you keep them in the same place then everything is still together.

When I had a filing cabinet I would fold legal size documents to fit into the letter size drawers. I'd fold every 5 pages or so. Not elegant, but it worked ok.

July 27th, 2011, 12:44 pm #4

i've used subfolders for the manuals. you can make one for electronics, tools, large appliance, small appliances, etc. they'd still be in one place.

one other method is to number and inventory the manuals. then to find a manual you'd have to look up the device on a list to find the correct number.

as for legal document storage... ask your lawyer's secretary to find out what works.

July 27th, 2011, 1:11 pm #5

I have a friend who is a public defender and I e-mailed her about this!

July 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm #6

I put the manuals in a file folder unless the manual is big. Then I stick a page in the file folder to look in the bookshelf for the manual. I also staple the receipt to the top of the manual or warranty info.

Added: If it is a manual, receipt, etc for a built-in appliance, I keep that stuff in a notebook with clear page covers. That way, everything for the house is in one spot and if we ever sell the house, I'll just leave the notebook behind.

For legal sized documents, I just fold up the end.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on July 27th, 2011, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 27th, 2011, 6:42 pm #7

I have my manuals/warranties filed in 3 ring binders with clear page protectors. I have binders for the following:
1 - permanent home items (hot water heater, water softener, furnace/AC, carpeting/flooring)
2 - kitchen/bath (includes washer/dryer, all appliances)
3 - electronics
4 - furniture, light fixtures
5 - garage/power tools
6 - gardening tools, mowers

I also staple the receipt to the inside front cover of the manual. I keep the binders in my bookcase.

I used to be a legal secretary and our filing cabinets and folders at work were legal size, so we didn't have to fold the paperwork. Any legal documents I have at home are stored in the fire safe, which accommodates the legal size paper.

July 27th, 2011, 7:57 pm #8

I know we don't throw them out - but could certainly not tell you where most of them are. For some reason i do know that the weed wacker that we just threw away - that manual is under the bread machine, and the one for the gas grill that's been dead for a year is behind the waffle iron in the same cabinet (i think we bought them at the same time.) the Kitchen Aid mixer manual is on the cookbook shelf bc there are recipes in it. the fryer user guide in in the fryer. also to keep the recipes.

If i were to organize them - it'd be a box in a corner of a closet labeled user guides/manuals. I don't actually USE them so any further organization would be a waste of time for me.

July 27th, 2011, 8:24 pm #9

I can't tell you how many times we've needed a model number, parts list, receipt, etc. Like blueyes, I staple the receipt to the booklet. What has worked very well for me--until now--has been an expanding alphabetical file, the kind that are made of light cardboard. Just pop it in the right pocket. And if I can't find what I need under M for Mixer, I'd look under K for KitchenAid...or in a pinch, under E for Electric. Hey, I'm not perfect! But I usually can find this stuff and, more importantly, so can DH. Very important for our riding tractor!!

As for blueyes' system of plastic pages in a binder...that's a little advanced for me! But wouldn't it be great when you needed to find something!!

July 28th, 2011, 1:38 am #10

I can't remember who posted this earlier this summer, but her daughter would copy the thermal type receipts and keep them together since the thermal receipts tend to fade.
That is an excellent tip.

I didn't like my binder that I tried for the manuals and bought a portable plastic file box, which I keep in my closet out of sight unless needed. I do want to get a second one because its gotten rather stuffed.

For my legal documents I was keeping them in the bottom of a file drawer that I kept extra supplies in, no files in there though.

Good luck!