Opinions on juicers please

Opinions on juicers please

February 27th, 2012, 6:37 pm #1

I have hankered after a juicer for about 20 or more years, but have never been able to justify BUYING one. Then last week I was given one - a friends neighbour was moving and left it behind.
Now, this juicer looked brand new - it still had the little bit of blue plastic film oveer the blades even.All I needed was a load of cheap stuff to juice.
Today I found reduced price oranges ( big ones that are normally 30p each) They were bagged up for 4 for 19p. I bought 8 bags, which is quite a lot of oranges!

Set myself up at home and chopped up 4 oranges for starters and loaded them into the machine - the wretched thing doesn't work! Got DH to look at it, and it works if you dismantle it and shove a screwdriver in a hole, but thats no good to me.So it is waiting for deliverance to juicer heaven ( the tip)

So, now that I have had a taste ( in a manner of speaking) do I buy one? I have looked on Amazon, and given a free choice the one I would choose is £150, but I don't want a juicer that badly!

Are cheap ones no good? Can the deal with carrots and hard veg?
Or should I forget the whole thing and buy juice in cartons?

February 27th, 2012, 6:55 pm #2

see if they have a help section on their website or call them. I've picked up stuff at goodwill and then contacted the manufacturer for support - Caphalon sent me a new lid for a tea kettle I found.

February 27th, 2012, 6:59 pm #3

I have hankered after a juicer for about 20 or more years, but have never been able to justify BUYING one. Then last week I was given one - a friends neighbour was moving and left it behind.
Now, this juicer looked brand new - it still had the little bit of blue plastic film oveer the blades even.All I needed was a load of cheap stuff to juice.
Today I found reduced price oranges ( big ones that are normally 30p each) They were bagged up for 4 for 19p. I bought 8 bags, which is quite a lot of oranges!

Set myself up at home and chopped up 4 oranges for starters and loaded them into the machine - the wretched thing doesn't work! Got DH to look at it, and it works if you dismantle it and shove a screwdriver in a hole, but thats no good to me.So it is waiting for deliverance to juicer heaven ( the tip)

So, now that I have had a taste ( in a manner of speaking) do I buy one? I have looked on Amazon, and given a free choice the one I would choose is £150, but I don't want a juicer that badly!

My friends make a loaded with everything juice every morning in a $400 Vitamix thing that could probably juice bricks. My daughter wanted a juicer so I got her a $100 Breville one that she uses every day and it does carrots and hard things really well.
Last edited by BeverlySue on February 27th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2012, 7:42 pm #4

and I love it. I can't remember how much I paid for it. $75? $125? Something like that. I agree that the Vitmix probably could juice a brink and maybe when I'm a millionaire I'll buy one. I got one from my brother years ago, but I didn't like it. I really like this one.

I juice everything - carrots, apples, lemons, ginger. It is worth it for me because pure unpasteurized juice is expensive and sometimes it's all I can digest.

You could just go buy juice, but it wouldn't be the same quality, imo.

February 27th, 2012, 7:44 pm #5

got a grinder. missing parts. company said no they do not sell parts but would send some to me what did I need? tried telling them. They just sent me all the parts I might ever need, LOL.

gave the thing away later.

had a juicer. cheap model. gave it away. did not enjoy cleaning it.

have a vitamix, it is wonderful. picked up for ten bucks, had never been used, old model but I like it better than the new models based on the internet pics.

juicers of any sort are nice though. used to overnight with a friend, parents were both doctors. we had fresh juice every morning.

Myra in West Texas

February 28th, 2012, 9:09 am #6

I really like the sound of the Vitamix and its brick juicing capabilities - I don't think it is available here!

However -
How much juice could you expect to get from say 1lb of carrots? I love V8 juice and would like to copy the idea - is this possible?

What is the pulp like that you get left with at the end? Is there anything worthwhile left there, other than compost?

Should I find a really good deal on something, would it be plausible to freeze the fruit/veg to juice later, or would the soggyness bung up the works - would it be better to juice and then freeze?

Having investigated further, the juicer I was given seems to have a fault on the moulding - there is a bit that isn't long enough to reach another bit. It is also about the very cheapest one on the market, so I'm not going to pursue that one

February 28th, 2012, 5:45 pm #7

>>However -
How much juice could you expect to get from say 1lb of carrots?>>

Not as much as you would think... DS is the one that has all that math in his head.

>> I love V8 juice and would like to copy the idea - is this possible? >>

Absolutely! You might have to add a little tomato paste to get the tomato flavour. That is what V8 does!

>>What is the pulp like that you get left with at the end?>>

I'm not good at using the pulp and it does make a lot of pulp. Fruit can be used for muffins and vegetables can be used in soup.

>>Should I find a really good deal on something, would it be plausible to freeze the fruit/veg to juice later, or would the soggyness bung up the works - would it be better to juice and then freeze? >>

I would juice it first. If you wanted to freeze it first you could use it like smoothie fruit in the blender. They say not to juice sale rack fruit. We just do it a little slower and let it clear from the blades before we continue. For sale rack apples it can be a little pulpier juice but we are fine with that. Also you can make very lovely hard cider... if that appeals to you...

We often ferment the juice instead of drinking it fresh. Juice it into a clean (but not sterile) jar, put on the lid (leave a little air space) and leave it alone for 3-4 days. When you come back it will be fizzy. We do it for the good gut bacteria.

February 28th, 2012, 9:30 pm #8

You have really helped there - I am still undecided
I got bargain priced pomegranates today too

February 28th, 2012, 9:47 pm #9

because of the hard seeds. It is about the only thing mine won't do, though. I can make nut milk , etc. I wasn't crazy about the nut milk...