On work clothes OR How casual is 'business casual"

On work clothes OR How casual is 'business casual"

June 5th, 2011, 12:14 am #1

I realize this may be a regional issue... but here goes.

I went looking for an interview outfit and discovered that everything out there is made of t-shirt material, slippery shiny material or sheer material. Oh, and too tight and MUCH too low cut! I don't know what job I would applying for if that is what I showed up in... but honestly... in this city half the time people are out in pajamas so it is a little hard to guage.

I am not large busted but I definitely have an hour glass figure and I do attract attention when I wear things that are form fitted. I am not trying to sound obnoxious- it has always been that way since I was 12.

Last week in my career futures class one of the women said I should be a pole dancer because I would make a lot of money. Thanks?

So what is your opinion on frugal business casual?

June 5th, 2011, 12:40 am #2

Ok the pole dancer remark nearly had me spit my drink on my keyboard. Are you considering that career path?

Around here, business casual is generally nice pants and nice shoes, and then the rest is up to wide interpretation. I've been out of the workplace for awhile, but it really ran the gamut from low-cut to turtlenecks. No one ever complained (that I know of) to a superior, but there was always catty gossip about what was and wasn't appropriate and who looked like they could be wrapped around a pole. I was going to say that if it's nice enough for your house of worship then it's ok for work, but more and more that standard seems to be rapidly dropping too.

Edited to add that I'm not passing judgement on anyone here, as I tend to look like a sloppy frump lately.
Last edited by SandyinMI on June 5th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 12:47 am #3

I went looking for an interview outfit and discovered that everything out there is made of t-shirt material, slippery shiny material or sheer material. Oh, and too tight and MUCH too low cut! I don't know what job I would applying for if that is what I showed up in... but honestly... in this city half the time people are out in pajamas so it is a little hard to guage.

I am not large busted but I definitely have an hour glass figure and I do attract attention when I wear things that are form fitted. I am not trying to sound obnoxious- it has always been that way since I was 12.

Last week in my career futures class one of the women said I should be a pole dancer because I would make a lot of money. Thanks?

Where I work 'business casual' is a pair of slacks (grey, black or khaki) and either a company logo polo shirt (white or black) or a button up shirt (white or blue), no tie. And yes it is that specific. Makes getting dressed easy though.

Normal dress would be the long sleeve button up with tie.

Friday's are jeans days, normally.

btw, it is incredibly hard to find clothes like this for women. Last time around I ended up with boys pants altered as much as possible, and mens dress shirts altered as much as possible. Neither of course fit all that great. I understand your pain in shopping!

The womens pants are either way too low cut, don't have belt loops, have bell bottoms, have 'bling' on them, etc. The ladies shirts don't exist as I used to know them. I suppose if I went and visited a western wear store I could find a normal button up shirt, but at the stores like Macy's and Nordstrom's, they all have fluffy sleeves, fancy collars, no collars, no buttons all the way up (so I can wear a tie), 3/4 length sleeves, giant sleeves, ... you get the point.
Last edited by Stacey_K on June 5th, 2011, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 1:14 am #4

would mean slacks, penny loafers or some other low heel shoe, and a blouse, or sweater. Business dress would be a dress, and/or jacket.

My work wear consist of navy scrubs, and a navy or white shirt underneath. Scrub Jacket can be navy or white. - Like Stacey said, it makes it easy to get dressed in the mornings!

Stacey - could you find the shirts/pants you need where they sell school uniforms?
glendaMO

June 5th, 2011, 2:55 am #5

I've been to several meetings with my new job that are business casual. Since these people come from all around the state, I think it is a pretty good representation of business casual. LOL

Summer--dress pants or nice khaki pants and a nice top or a tank or camisole with a summer sweater on top. Men wear khaki pants or dress pants and a polo/golf shirt. The women at these meeting didn't wear polo/golf shirts. Around here, the polo/golf shirts are for Fridays when it is jeans day.

Winter--dress pants or nice khaki pants and a nice top or sweater or a t-shirt, or modest camisole or tank with a jacket.

Shoes for business casual are some kind of flats (although I've seen heels). Very nice flip flop type sandals will work if they are dressy (like leather or leather look.)

My work is pretty much business casual all the time. My department is the only one that really dresses up. The instructors wear jeans most of the time. We only wear jeans on Friday.

Also, it is very 'in style' to wear a tank or camisole under those low cut tops. In fact, I wear one every day because you can't find shirts that aren't low cut. In winter, I wear a tank top and a cardigan or jacket every day. In summer I wear a tank or camisole and a summer sweater most of the time. If I wear a dressy t-shirt type top I wear a tank or cami under it because most of them are shorter than I like. My tank/cami sticks out below most of my shirts and it also covers that area above the chest since the shirts are all cut low.

Tammy

June 5th, 2011, 3:08 am #6

What is a 'nice blouse?' Is it shiny? Is it what lingerie used to be made of or look like it COULD be lingerie? I tried putting a camisole under one of my nice blouses- it didn't help. They are both too low.

How much cleavage would you say it is appropriate to show? I say none, but can't find any clothes that are what I would call modest or appropriate. And believe me - my modesty standards are pretty low! I tried looking in higher end stores but it is just pricier versions of the same things. I also looked at dresses which are really not my thing, but I looked. They land mid thigh when I am sitting down. That is too short for me.

Everything either looks too casual (and I mean REALLY too casual) or *slutty.*

June 5th, 2011, 3:11 am #7

Ok the pole dancer remark nearly had me spit my drink on my keyboard. Are you considering that career path?

Around here, business casual is generally nice pants and nice shoes, and then the rest is up to wide interpretation. I've been out of the workplace for awhile, but it really ran the gamut from low-cut to turtlenecks. No one ever complained (that I know of) to a superior, but there was always catty gossip about what was and wasn't appropriate and who looked like they could be wrapped around a pole. I was going to say that if it's nice enough for your house of worship then it's ok for work, but more and more that standard seems to be rapidly dropping too.

Edited to add that I'm not passing judgement on anyone here, as I tend to look like a sloppy frump lately.
I am not considering any kind of dancing as a career and I don't know how it came up, but apparently they discussed it over lunch... I guess it wouldn't matter if I could find any modest clothes if I wanted to be a stripper...

June 5th, 2011, 3:35 am #8

What is a 'nice blouse?' Is it shiny? Is it what lingerie used to be made of or look like it COULD be lingerie? I tried putting a camisole under one of my nice blouses- it didn't help. They are both too low.

How much cleavage would you say it is appropriate to show? I say none, but can't find any clothes that are what I would call modest or appropriate. And believe me - my modesty standards are pretty low! I tried looking in higher end stores but it is just pricier versions of the same things. I also looked at dresses which are really not my thing, but I looked. They land mid thigh when I am sitting down. That is too short for me.

Everything either looks too casual (and I mean REALLY too casual) or *slutty.*
and pin or tack it to the inside of the top you want to wear, similar to a dickie, high enough that it doesn't show cleavage.
glendaMO

June 5th, 2011, 4:43 am #9

They make a dickie type of product that hooks to your bra. I've seen them in WalMart in the "As Seen on T.V." section. They come in a pack of 2 or 3 and they are diffferent colors.

I wear a tank top most of the time for that very reason. If the tank top is low, you can run a seam in the shoulder on both sides and then it will have a higher neckline.

I say that being business-like is not showing any cleavage or very little. I try not to show any.

A nice blouse is not necessarily shiny. To me it is a blouse/shirt that is NOT a regular t-shirt or golf/polo shirt. It is one that has some kind of character to it. LOL It might be made like a t-shirt but it might be a slightly different material and have beads sewn at the top. Also, I don't wear tank tops (without something over them) or even sleeveless.

Tammy

June 5th, 2011, 4:51 am #10

and pin or tack it to the inside of the top you want to wear, similar to a dickie, high enough that it doesn't show cleavage.
http://www.career.vt.edu/JobSearchGuide ... ttire.html

Oh, and to me, a nice blouse/shirt is one that is not faded or worn looking. It is one that has some sort of sleeves in it and is not showing any cleavage. It should also be long enough that when you sit down you are NOT showing your behind. It is dressier than a t-shirt but not so dressy that you look like you are going out after work.

Also, I would consider a skirt (especially a summer skirt) to be business casual. I would wear a summer skirt, a dressy t-shirt and nice sandals for business casual.

When I went on my interview I wore black pants, a silky green tank and a black sweater that has one button at the top (swing sweater.) It was winter time when I interviewed.

Tammy