OMG! Do you know this trick?

OMG! Do you know this trick?

August 9th, 2012, 1:45 pm #1

I baked a ham yesterday and it baked dry. The water I put in the bottom all cooked off and the bottom of the pan was burned-on ham juices. When I put it to soak, DH's cousin asked if I knew "the trick." The trick is simply to sprinkle dishwasher detergent (I crushed up a tab) into the water and let it soak overnight. This morning I just poured off the water and rinsed it out!! No kidding! Marie hasn't tried it yet on a burned-up pan from the top of the stove, so she doesn't know how well it would work...but this was fantastic! The best trick ever!!

August 9th, 2012, 2:33 pm #2

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 9th, 2012, 2:44 pm #3

I baked a ham yesterday and it baked dry. The water I put in the bottom all cooked off and the bottom of the pan was burned-on ham juices. When I put it to soak, DH's cousin asked if I knew "the trick." The trick is simply to sprinkle dishwasher detergent (I crushed up a tab) into the water and let it soak overnight. This morning I just poured off the water and rinsed it out!! No kidding! Marie hasn't tried it yet on a burned-up pan from the top of the stove, so she doesn't know how well it would work...but this was fantastic! The best trick ever!!
Failing dish powder, you can also use baking soda (powder?) but I always have dish powder on hand... I did this yesterday with a pan I had cooked wings in.

August 9th, 2012, 3:25 pm #4

When I haven't wanted to wait all night I've put baking soda in the pan and heated it on the stovetop until all the gunk is loosened. That works too but is more effort.

August 9th, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

It also works a lot better when the stuff is scrubbed off with the water still boiling hot- a little tricky, but effective!

I save pots at work all the time like this.

August 12th, 2012, 3:04 am #6

I made rice for dinner tonight and burned it to the bottom of the pan...I sprinkled a bit of powder dishwasher soap on it and with in a short time it all came out..... wow gotta remember this one... Thanks for sharing

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

August 12th, 2012, 4:15 pm #7

I have a cast iron enamel grill pan (like a Lecreuset style). I brushed on a teriyaki glaze on a steak and cooked it in the pan. The glaze moslty ran off the steak and burned in the pan. Tied this trick. A little came off, but there's still a lot left. I am going to try the boiling vinegar in the pan trick to see if it will get the rest off. Makes the house very stinky though!
LisaCNC

August 12th, 2012, 6:56 pm #8

I have a cast iron enamel dutch oven occasionally it gets food burnt on... try soaking with vinegar, and if its stained then a good scrubbing with baking soda does wonders...

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."