New (to me) washing machine wows - GE Profile

New (to me) washing machine wows - GE Profile

June 13th, 2011, 6:33 pm #1

Hi all!

Wondering if anyone on here was duped = like me into one of the somewhat new (to me at least, first one I've purchased in 13 years) washing machines that have a very low turn thing in the middle (where you put the softerner). The basin is bigger (4.0 cubic feet) and seems like a lot more should fit in there -

BUT....

It's supposed to use less water and energy and all that - when I open the lid and look in, looks like there's barely enough water at all and the clothes are wet and sitting there. So I had to put it on the SUPER load to see some water in there which takes 77 minutes! Opposed to my normal 39 minutes with the old machine.

I'm just wondering HOW does this machine clean if there's nothing in the middle swishing it around?? I'm not sure I like it - but I can't get a refund. I bought it on craigslist for 180.00, chose it because I was trying to be greener! :~(

June 13th, 2011, 6:33 pm #2

"whoas"? haha

June 13th, 2011, 6:40 pm #3

Hi all!

Wondering if anyone on here was duped = like me into one of the somewhat new (to me at least, first one I've purchased in 13 years) washing machines that have a very low turn thing in the middle (where you put the softerner). The basin is bigger (4.0 cubic feet) and seems like a lot more should fit in there -

BUT....

It's supposed to use less water and energy and all that - when I open the lid and look in, looks like there's barely enough water at all and the clothes are wet and sitting there. So I had to put it on the SUPER load to see some water in there which takes 77 minutes! Opposed to my normal 39 minutes with the old machine.

I'm just wondering HOW does this machine clean if there's nothing in the middle swishing it around?? I'm not sure I like it - but I can't get a refund. I bought it on craigslist for 180.00, chose it because I was trying to be greener! :~(
At least not in mine (mine's a Whirlpool, not a GE). The amount of water depends on the weight of the clothes. When the cycle starts, it goes thorugh a sensing phase wher eit weighs the clothes, thne it starts adding water. The clothes just barely get covered with water, and the drum swings and sways and kinda flips the closthes around similar to how a front loader acts.

The only issue I've had with mine is dark clothes having dteregent spots. Now I try to remember to turn them inside out and to do the extra rinse with darks.
LisaCNC

June 13th, 2011, 6:46 pm #4

For instance, if you have a huge load, it may use the whole 77 minutes, but a lighter load and it may decrease the time. Set a timer when you turn on the washer & see if it changes.

The low water washers shoot the water through the clothes instead of swishing them around in a tub of water. Well, it's a little more technical than that but that's my short answer.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm #5

so they get a shower instead of a bath?

I wondered about that. I'd be beating my clothes on a rock and washboard if i could; first time i saw those machines i could not figure out how they'd come clean without a physical beating!

but high pressure jets of water, that I can understand!

Thanks!

June 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm #6

Hi all!

BUT....

At least part of the reason it takes so long is that it's spraying the clothes, letting them tumble then sit, spraying, letting them them tumble then sit. Kind of the same way energy efficient dishwashers get dishes clean now - the dishes and clothes spend a lot of time soaking. I haven't noticed a difference in how clean my clothes are in the 5 years I've had the HE one. One difference I have noticed is that clothes that were getting old and worn have developed tiny holes. Maybe all that flopping around wears them out faster?

One thing you'll probably love though is that your clothes probably take a lot less time to dry because the washer spins so much water out.

Edited because what I said didn't really make sense. lol
Last edited by SandyinMI on June 14th, 2011, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2011, 10:15 pm #7

so they get a shower instead of a bath?

I wondered about that. I'd be beating my clothes on a rock and washboard if i could; first time i saw those machines i could not figure out how they'd come clean without a physical beating!

but high pressure jets of water, that I can understand!

Thanks!
------

June 13th, 2011, 11:05 pm #8

At least part of the reason it takes so long is that it's spraying the clothes, letting them tumble then sit, spraying, letting them them tumble then sit. Kind of the same way energy efficient dishwashers get dishes clean now - the dishes and clothes spend a lot of time soaking. I haven't noticed a difference in how clean my clothes are in the 5 years I've had the HE one. One difference I have noticed is that clothes that were getting old and worn have developed tiny holes. Maybe all that flopping around wears them out faster?

One thing you'll probably love though is that your clothes probably take a lot less time to dry because the washer spins so much water out.

There is a laundry forum at gardenweb and I think it was there. The clothes do flop more and I hadn't thought of that being hard on them. I'm just so glad my bras aren't all tied in knots with this washer.

------

June 14th, 2011, 2:39 am #9

and I think it is just how clothes are made now. I don't have a front loading washer and only use gentle home made soap- nothing harsh.

June 14th, 2011, 2:31 pm #10

Spraying...ok...truly wondered what it was doing because it doesn't seem to be moving around enough. And makes some weird not too loud noises.

Okay...so I think I'll give it a chance....the alternative would be to put it back on Craigslist and try to get rid of it but I think I'd feel guilty!