Need leftover/menu help

Need leftover/menu help

December 26th, 2011, 8:28 pm #1

We are going to the cabin tomorrow until after New Year's. I will be taking leftovers with me. The prime rib will be French dip sandwiches, so no help needed there. I'm also taking enough ham scraps (frozen) for two meals. Any suggestions? Don't want to make scalloped ham and potatoes because we are having something like that for lunch today (I took the leftover creamed peas and potatoes, added the dried-out cheese and some frozen ham scraps and it's heating now).

I'm also taking an old, dead chicken...but I know they will want fried chicken. Also taking enough ground beef for a spaghetti dinner. This is all stuff from my freezer as I continue LIVE CHEAP DECEMBER.

December 26th, 2011, 8:52 pm #2

I like to put ham in Split pea soup or potato soup, if you have broth to how bout beans or egg noodle soup. Or maybe mac and cheese with ham added. Breakfast for dinner... ham and scrambled eggs with hash brown or waffles.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
Last edited by TrinaOR on December 26th, 2011, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 26th, 2011, 9:08 pm #3

We are going to the cabin tomorrow until after New Year's. I will be taking leftovers with me. The prime rib will be French dip sandwiches, so no help needed there. I'm also taking enough ham scraps (frozen) for two meals. Any suggestions? Don't want to make scalloped ham and potatoes because we are having something like that for lunch today (I took the leftover creamed peas and potatoes, added the dried-out cheese and some frozen ham scraps and it's heating now).

I'm also taking an old, dead chicken...but I know they will want fried chicken. Also taking enough ground beef for a spaghetti dinner. This is all stuff from my freezer as I continue LIVE CHEAP DECEMBER.
Here's my new favorite ham soup:

Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
Directions
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

NOTES for our tastes:
Use 4+ cups of water (necessary at our elevation)
Use more ham
not so much pepper

December 26th, 2011, 9:16 pm #4

Ham suggestions - pizza topping with pineapple if you have it

A recipe I like, if you have broccoli, cream cheese, and packaged biscuits
Broccoli Ham Ring, from Pampered Chef
¼ lb (1 cup) ham, chopped ¼ lb (1-1/2 cup) broccoli, chopped
1 sm. (7t) onion, chopped ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
6 oz. Shredded Swiss cheese 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 t. lemon juice 3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cans (8oz) crescent rolls
Preheat oven to 350°. Mix all ingredients except crescent rolls and set aside.
Arrange crescent rolls on a baking pan with bases overlapping in center and points to the outside. Spoon filling over base. Fold points of triangle over filling and tuck under base at center. Bake 20-25 min. until brown.

Another great use of any leftover is meal in a muffin. Use your favorite muffin recipe without the sugar. Use your leftovers in the muffins, whatever your favorite combinations. The kids always liked pizza ingredients in theirs. I like broccoli and cheese. Ham and cheese would be good in it. Here's my basic recipe:
Meal in a Muffin - from tv cooking show
3 eggs Mozzarella cheese
½ cup oil Spaghetti sauce
4 cups flour Pepperoni
2 t baking soda Hamburger meat
2 t salt Broccoli
3 cups buttermilk Pineapple chunks
(Needs more spices)
Mix first 6 ingredients. Put about 1 ½ T in a muffin cup; then the ingredients of your choice; then another 1 ½ T batter. Bake 350° until done.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

December 26th, 2011, 9:59 pm #5

Ham loaf (we like Marcia Adam's recipe)
BBQ ham meatballs-make ham meatballs, bake off. Simmer in crockpot in some bottled BBQ sauce. Serve over rice. I also like to add slivered green pepper, slivered onion, pineapple tidbits to the sauce
Deviled ham sandwiches-serve cold. Also-make as usual, put some of the spread on an English muffin/biscuit 1/2 what have you, top with a slice of cheese and toast under the broiler
Ham quiche/impossible pie
Ham-pineapple pizza
Ham bfst strata (substitute for usual bulk pork sausage)
soup: split pea, minnestrone, mac n bean, lentil etc
Ham "kabobs"-place cubed ham/tomato/onion/pepper/mushroom/pineapple on skewers. Brush with teriyaki and broil until golden and heated through

HTH!

December 26th, 2011, 10:28 pm #6

but I have reached a new level of tired.

December 26th, 2011, 11:13 pm #7

when we were there on the 23rd. It was so yummy and reminded me of my childhood. She makes it with lots of onions! This was the first time she had made it since my dad died in 1990. He loved it, and I think it brought back too many memories for her. I took the leftovers home with me!

December 26th, 2011, 11:42 pm #8

Ham loaf (we like Marcia Adam's recipe)
BBQ ham meatballs-make ham meatballs, bake off. Simmer in crockpot in some bottled BBQ sauce. Serve over rice. I also like to add slivered green pepper, slivered onion, pineapple tidbits to the sauce
Deviled ham sandwiches-serve cold. Also-make as usual, put some of the spread on an English muffin/biscuit 1/2 what have you, top with a slice of cheese and toast under the broiler
Ham quiche/impossible pie
Ham-pineapple pizza
Ham bfst strata (substitute for usual bulk pork sausage)
soup: split pea, minnestrone, mac n bean, lentil etc
Ham "kabobs"-place cubed ham/tomato/onion/pepper/mushroom/pineapple on skewers. Brush with teriyaki and broil until golden and heated through

HTH!
Her cookbooks are so interesting. I used to watch her show on PBS. Dh would would roll his eyes and ask what quilts had to do with cooking every time she pulled on her pair of white gloves and showed a quilt.