My horrible ridiculous washer and dryer saga

My horrible ridiculous washer and dryer saga

September 1st, 2011, 10:12 am #1

As I mentioned months ago, my dryer was dying. I managed to linedry all summer, and use the dryer for emergencies only. We looked around and chose an LG pair at Best Buy, on sale for 15% off. They were delivered Friday August 19. I immediately threw 2 comforters in, and came back 25 minutes later to a huge puddle on the floor. I called the installer and he immediately said...It's defective, we need to order you a new one. So, later that day he stopped back and took it. The following Wednesday he delivered the new one. It did the same thing! So, Best Buy sent a repairman out on Thursday and he noticed the drain pipe was broken..the installers damaged my pipe! So...Best Buy said they would send an insurance adjuster out so they could pay for the plumbing. I was to hear from them the next day, which of course I never did.

I was freaking out cause school started Monday, and I had a mountain of clothes. So, I got smart and had hubby put the drain hose in the utility sink to drain. At least I am able to do laundry! So...I claled Best Buy Monday, was told the manager would call, he never did. Monday night our water filtration system did an automatic backwash all over the floor...took us forever to clean up. Tuesday I went into the store to talk to the manager, and he told me they were trying to hurry the process up, but the insurance adjusters are busy with Irene (which I TOTALLY understand). He told me he would call them and get back to me later that day./ He never called Tuesday, or yesterday.

I'm sure the insurance companies are busy, and will stay that way for weeks. I suggested to the manager on Tuesday that he just give me an additional price off and I will be happy to get the plumbing issue fixed myself. Hubby can probably do it himself. But, nooo, that is against Best Buy policy. I even offerd to sign a waiver.

So, here it is 13 days later, and I have no clue as to when the adjusters will be here. I'm guessing not until at least next week. While some of this has been bad luck with the timing of the hurricane, I am disgusted with the poor customer service, and really want nothing to do with the washer and drywer at this point, even though they work great! I saw an amazing sale on line at Home Deport..Maytag Bravos, regularly 799 on sale for $483. Since I paid $765 a piece for these, I'm considering returning the LG's and saving myself close to $600. I checked and I have 30 days to return them

I know Best Buy is responsible for fixing this pipe, but at this point I need to move forward, even if it means paying for this ourselves. What would you do???
Last edited by SingingSkies on September 1st, 2011, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 1st, 2011, 10:55 am #2

I have something to share, but I can't post it on a public board.

sparkrenee AT juno DOT com

September 1st, 2011, 11:01 am #3

As I mentioned months ago, my dryer was dying. I managed to linedry all summer, and use the dryer for emergencies only. We looked around and chose an LG pair at Best Buy, on sale for 15% off. They were delivered Friday August 19. I immediately threw 2 comforters in, and came back 25 minutes later to a huge puddle on the floor. I called the installer and he immediately said...It's defective, we need to order you a new one. So, later that day he stopped back and took it. The following Wednesday he delivered the new one. It did the same thing! So, Best Buy sent a repairman out on Thursday and he noticed the drain pipe was broken..the installers damaged my pipe! So...Best Buy said they would send an insurance adjuster out so they could pay for the plumbing. I was to hear from them the next day, which of course I never did.

I was freaking out cause school started Monday, and I had a mountain of clothes. So, I got smart and had hubby put the drain hose in the utility sink to drain. At least I am able to do laundry! So...I claled Best Buy Monday, was told the manager would call, he never did. Monday night our water filtration system did an automatic backwash all over the floor...took us forever to clean up. Tuesday I went into the store to talk to the manager, and he told me they were trying to hurry the process up, but the insurance adjusters are busy with Irene (which I TOTALLY understand). He told me he would call them and get back to me later that day./ He never called Tuesday, or yesterday.

I'm sure the insurance companies are busy, and will stay that way for weeks. I suggested to the manager on Tuesday that he just give me an additional price off and I will be happy to get the plumbing issue fixed myself. Hubby can probably do it himself. But, nooo, that is against Best Buy policy. I even offerd to sign a waiver.

So, here it is 13 days later, and I have no clue as to when the adjusters will be here. I'm guessing not until at least next week. While some of this has been bad luck with the timing of the hurricane, I am disgusted with the poor customer service, and really want nothing to do with the washer and drywer at this point, even though they work great! I saw an amazing sale on line at Home Deport..Maytag Bravos, regularly 799 on sale for $483. Since I paid $765 a piece for these, I'm considering returning the LG's and saving myself close to $600. I checked and I have 30 days to return them

I know Best Buy is responsible for fixing this pipe, but at this point I need to move forward, even if it means paying for this ourselves. What would you do???
Call Best Buy and tell them to come and get the wash & dryer because you are returning them. I realize they can't help it if the adjusters are busy, but if I am reading this correctly, this happened before Irene.

I would be fuming at this point. For my own well being, I would call a plumber myself (or have your dh do it), have it fixed, and get a washer and dryer somewhere else. I would tell the manager why you are returning it, as well as his district manager and write a letter to the corporate office, enclosed with a bill for the plumber. They need to take responsibility for the damage their installer did. I would think if the installer does this for a living, hooking up a washer would be no big deal. My dh has hooked up many a washer and he's a banker.

Hope you are happily doing laundry really soon!

September 1st, 2011, 11:04 am #4

I have something to share, but I can't post it on a public board.

sparkrenee AT juno DOT com
It bounced back at first, but then I remembered you had a y in there that you must have missed typing, so hopefully you will get it, lol

September 1st, 2011, 11:07 am #5

Call Best Buy and tell them to come and get the wash & dryer because you are returning them. I realize they can't help it if the adjusters are busy, but if I am reading this correctly, this happened before Irene.

I would be fuming at this point. For my own well being, I would call a plumber myself (or have your dh do it), have it fixed, and get a washer and dryer somewhere else. I would tell the manager why you are returning it, as well as his district manager and write a letter to the corporate office, enclosed with a bill for the plumber. They need to take responsibility for the damage their installer did. I would think if the installer does this for a living, hooking up a washer would be no big deal. My dh has hooked up many a washer and he's a banker.

I'm definately leaning towards the advice you gave. They switched the washer and dryer from how they were set up initially, because of the dryer door, and they shoved the dryer too far back and the vent on the back, evidently pushed the plumbing and it snapped off at the connection. Heck the new dryer vent hose is even squashed! The manager didn't even want to look at my pictures to see what I was talking about.

And yes, this happened over a week before Irene. The repairman should have been called after the first time it leaked, but the installer was SURE it was defective, and didn't look at anything, just took the first one and ordered a second. So yes, if this had been done properly, it would have even been fixed prior to Irene.
Last edited by SingingSkies on September 1st, 2011, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 1st, 2011, 1:33 pm #6

Since you know you can get a good deal elsewhere, let them come pick it up. Go purchase elsewhere. Have the damage repaired, or repair it, and include it with the letter to corporate offices.

My dh isn't a professional washer installer, but like Monica said, he's managed to hook up several dozen washers and dryers (due to our girls moving) without destroying the plumbing.
glendaMO

September 1st, 2011, 2:20 pm #7

I'm definately leaning towards the advice you gave. They switched the washer and dryer from how they were set up initially, because of the dryer door, and they shoved the dryer too far back and the vent on the back, evidently pushed the plumbing and it snapped off at the connection. Heck the new dryer vent hose is even squashed! The manager didn't even want to look at my pictures to see what I was talking about.

And yes, this happened over a week before Irene. The repairman should have been called after the first time it leaked, but the installer was SURE it was defective, and didn't look at anything, just took the first one and ordered a second. So yes, if this had been done properly, it would have even been fixed prior to Irene.
We had to switch ours too. Dh did it easily with no broken pipes or crushed dryer vent.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

September 1st, 2011, 3:07 pm #8

nt

September 2nd, 2011, 3:09 am #9

except for one thing....Best Buy does not care about customer satisfaction at all. My dd worked there for several years and she could tell you stories...

Back in July we got a new washer/dryer and I didn't even consider them. Do alot of research if you get another set. I've always been dead set against the front loaders ( I have a mold allergy ) but in doing research they are really the best machines out there. Maytags and LG's seem to be more prone to the mold issue so I avoided them. There were a few features my dh wanted on the washer ( which I think is hilarious because he doesn't do the laundry ). We ended up getting the new Samsung VRT with steam and I love them. They are so quiet and the washer is one of the most energy effecient ones out there. I was all set to get the commercial Bravos model but the reviews pointed me elsewhere.

Buying a new washer and dryer was one of the hardest purchases we've ever made. It's much easier, and funner to buy a car. Lol

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.