Meal ideas (and a mini update)

Meal ideas (and a mini update)

March 27th, 2012, 12:24 pm #1

I need help and I knew you were just the place to come to get it!!

I need ideas for easy, and I mean super easy meals, that are not too fancy, not too spicy, and don't take a lot of prep work. I can start a quick meal in a crockpot, but DH needs to finish it. Or DH needs to be able to cook it all by himself (with limited cooking experience).

I've been in hiding for a bit and while I don't want this post to turn into an "all about me" post, I just wanted to fill you in on why the above is needed. I had back pain for a few months that was contributed to lack of exercise. When I finally got back to my oncologist, our worst fears were confirmed and the cancer had spread to the bone with my vertebrae and pelvis mostly involved. I am having a heck of a time walking, standing, and sitting. I am unable to work. I am in treatment and I seem to be getting better, which is how I can help with some of the prep of a meal, but I can't do it all. I can't do spicy because my tummy just can't take it with the chemo that I'm on.

Help me come up with a list of meals to make DH's new job a little easier! Thanks!!

March 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm #2

http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

The year was actually 2008, but she still has all the recipes there plus she still is adding from time to time. Some are pretty sinple, some are more compicated.

Sorry to hear your cancer has spread. Praying for you!
LisaCNC

March 27th, 2012, 2:03 pm #3

I need ideas for easy, and I mean super easy meals, that are not too fancy, not too spicy, and don't take a lot of prep work. I can start a quick meal in a crockpot, but DH needs to finish it. Or DH needs to be able to cook it all by himself (with limited cooking experience).

I've been in hiding for a bit and while I don't want this post to turn into an "all about me" post, I just wanted to fill you in on why the above is needed. I had back pain for a few months that was contributed to lack of exercise. When I finally got back to my oncologist, our worst fears were confirmed and the cancer had spread to the bone with my vertebrae and pelvis mostly involved. I am having a heck of a time walking, standing, and sitting. I am unable to work. I am in treatment and I seem to be getting better, which is how I can help with some of the prep of a meal, but I can't do it all. I can't do spicy because my tummy just can't take it with the chemo that I'm on.

Help me come up with a list of meals to make DH's new job a little easier! Thanks!!
Trying seasoning a pork roast and cooking it in the Crock Pot. Then, besides a roast pork dinner, he will have leftovers for BQ sandwiches, pork noodles, cold pork sandwiches, etc. Grind the last bit up to fill out a meatloaf. Just season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic and put it in the Crock Pot for the day with no added liquid.

Pork noodles: make 2 packages of pork or Oriental ramen noodles, add shredded or sliced pork, some chopped green onion, and top with slice hardboiled egg.

One problem with a Crock Pot is that not everything takes all day to cook. He might be able to prep the meal and you plug it in later? Or, use a lamp timer to delay turning it on for an hour or two and/or turning it off a bit early. If the food is cold when it goes in, there won't be any food safety issues for letting it sit and hour or two.

Penny, I have been wondering about you. I'm so sorry about your recurrence. Hoping and praying (now) for he best. Keep us posted.

Edited to add--if the meat was frozen, you can start it while it is still partially frozen. This is potentially more convenient and takes care of the time thing, since it has to cook longer.
Last edited by MaxineS on March 27th, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 27th, 2012, 8:13 pm #4

Here's to an easy period of chemotherapy and good health afterward.

March 27th, 2012, 9:16 pm #5

Trying seasoning a pork roast and cooking it in the Crock Pot. Then, besides a roast pork dinner, he will have leftovers for BQ sandwiches, pork noodles, cold pork sandwiches, etc. Grind the last bit up to fill out a meatloaf. Just season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic and put it in the Crock Pot for the day with no added liquid.

Pork noodles: make 2 packages of pork or Oriental ramen noodles, add shredded or sliced pork, some chopped green onion, and top with slice hardboiled egg.

One problem with a Crock Pot is that not everything takes all day to cook. He might be able to prep the meal and you plug it in later? Or, use a lamp timer to delay turning it on for an hour or two and/or turning it off a bit early. If the food is cold when it goes in, there won't be any food safety issues for letting it sit and hour or two.

Penny, I have been wondering about you. I'm so sorry about your recurrence. Hoping and praying (now) for he best. Keep us posted.

Edited to add--if the meat was frozen, you can start it while it is still partially frozen. This is potentially more convenient and takes care of the time thing, since it has to cook longer.
I'll be praying for you.

Here is a link to my blog where I put my super easy recipes.
here

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 27th, 2012, 11:31 pm #6

I'm praying for you!

Sticky chicken is great in the crockpot. I've even rubbed the spices on different parts of chicken (not a whole chicken) and it was great.

Soup (a lot of them you can just put in frozen veggies that are already cut up, broth and maybe some canned tomatoes or meat.

Chicken pot pie is easy and quick to throw together (not in crockpot). I use a bought crust. I mix together canned chicken, cream of chicken soup, canned mixed veggies and then top it with the other crust from the pack of two.

Tammy

March 28th, 2012, 12:21 am #7

Hello Penny, I am sorry that your cancer has returned. Life is hectic at the moment but down the road if you still want easy recipes, I will look in my many cooking bookmarks and see what I can find.

2catsmom

March 28th, 2012, 2:11 am #8

I am so sorry to hear your news. I am pulling for you and wishing you the best.

I made a roast chicken Friday night and it was the best chicken I have ever had. The chicken cost $6 at full price. I know most people here would wait for a sale but I just bought it.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Rinse the chicken in the sink. Spread salt & pepper around inside the cavity. Take a lemon a roll it on the countertop with the palm of your hand to loosen the juice. Then pierce it several times with the tines of a fork. Put the lemon in the cavity of the chicken. (I think I forgot to mention to take the giblets out of the cavity). Slice an onion (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick) and place it in the bottom of a roasting pan. (The closer the pan is to the size of the chicken, the more juices you will have in the bottom for gravy.) Place the chicken on the onions and place in the oven. Roast for about 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours and until the quick read thermometer reads 180 degrees in the breast and 190 degrees in the thigh. Remove the chicken from the oven, remove it to a plate or carving board and let it rest covered with foil.

I then make gravy in the roasting pan on the stove top. The gravy might be too much for your husband though.

He can also bake potatoes while the chicken is roasting.

Add a salad and you have a meal for four for less than $10. I know all of you can make less expensive meals but this is easy and yummy.

Also, pulled pork. Put one can of Coke or Pepsi in a large crockpot and add a picnic ham (shoulder) and cook overnight on low. In the morning, take the pork out, shred it, disposing of the fat. Put the meat back in the crockpot and stir in a bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce and keep on low until ready to serve. It makes a lot but you can freeze it and serve it another time. I think this recipe is Lisa in NC's. It is good and easy.
Last edited by Linda_OH on March 28th, 2012, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 3:26 pm #9

I've been reading up about cooking ground beef in the crockpot. I've been meaning to try it, but I haven't....yet. I'd cook up about 5 pounds of beef and then divide it into 1# amounts and freeze. From that I'd make:

-Spaghetti, just add jarred sauce. Salad in a bag and you're done
-Tacos: buy shredded lettuce and shredded cheese. Your DH can add a seasoning packet to the cooked meat when he's heats it and you're done. I actually buy it in jars at Costco.
-Sloppy Joes. Add a can of manwich, cook some Ore-Ida or store brand fries plus frozen veggie, you're done

Buy a spiral ham (should be on sale for Easter soon...I hope!) and have your DH cut off all the meat and freeze it in dinner-size amounts. Just defrost and heat the hame, throw a Stouffers Mac & Cheese in the microwave or oven for a side along with a frozen veggie and you're done. You could also do baked potatoes or whatever.

Yes, my suggestions all rely on some convenience foods, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get dinner on the table.

I'm so sorry to hear about the return of cancer and your new round of treatments. That just super sucks. Let us know how you're doing, okay? If we don't hear from you, we'll all be worried.

March 28th, 2012, 4:24 pm #10

But I'm definitely praying for you and will continue to do so!