Maxine about the surgery your pup went thru. What did she have done?

Maxine about the surgery your pup went thru. What did she have done?

June 20th, 2012, 6:20 pm #1

Our dog is having to have knee surgery on tues... to fix the meniscus I think it is.... very possible will have to do both knees, will know more tues after he is sedatated.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

June 20th, 2012, 9:56 pm #2

...and they also removed the meniscus, which was also torn, pulled back and folded under. The traditional way of doing this surgery is very much the way it is done on humans, and usually costs $800-$1,000. Not all vets do it. The "state of the art" is what we had at Washington State University, and it was $3,100 including aftercare. At that point, I didn't know I had a choice, but I have to say...we have been thrilled with the result. They more or less took her knee apart and put it back together with a metal plate and 6 screws. It changed the way she walks on that leg, taking off all of the pressure. She bounces around like a pup--and she is 11 years old!

July 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm #3

How long before she could go outside w/o a leash? climb stairs? and such...
We are 4 days into this..and going outside is a major undertaking lol... he is quite put out he cannot climb onto his favorite couch. He is just not a happy camper at the moment... and neither am I, and to think we will be doing this again...Arrgggg :>

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

July 2nd, 2012, 11:27 pm #4

...within a week or so. However, we were told to take her out on a leash for the first month, so she wouldn't try to run. She was going up and down stairs in 2-3 weeks. Our biggest problem was getting her to leave the surgery site alone...she wanted to lick it and make it well. We had to have it covered and wrapped for 6-7 weeks.

A friend was here today who couldn't believe she is 11 years old. She gets around so much better than the average dog her age, especially Labs--she is half Lab.

July 5th, 2012, 10:47 pm #5

Our dog is having to have knee surgery on tues... to fix the meniscus I think it is.... very possible will have to do both knees, will know more tues after he is sedatated.

We had company at the start of this week and they could hardly believe Lulu is 11. She is getting around THAT well! Hope your pup is recovering nicely.

July 5th, 2012, 11:10 pm #6

Today we noticed for the first time since his surgery he is stretching.. I noticed yesterday he was using his leg a lot more...so I think he is on the mend... sometime around Tues. we are supposed to take him in to get him checked, and stitches out I imagine.... I had no idea what we were in for when we started this....and the bad thing is we will have to do the other one eventually too. Hubby was laughing at me yesterday, because when I take Gus out to potty he goes up to the stairs and puts his front feet on them and waits for me to get the back half:> and up the stairs we go.... Oh well.. I'm thankful we still have the beast....just sad he is going thru this so young: