Maxine, a popover question

Maxine, a popover question

March 6th, 2011, 3:37 am #1

I made popovers for the very first time tonight and they were really easy. Are all popovers gooey inside? These were and the recipe said they were supposed to be that way. If yours are like that, are the leftovers any good? They were all puffed up when I took them out of the oven, but after we ate, the remaining ones had sunken in the center.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 6th, 2011, 3:40 am #2

Soft, yes. Once they are golden brown, you are supposed to poke them with a skewer and bake 5-10 minutes longer. This releases the steam. The outsides will be very crisp and the insides will be soft, but done.

March 6th, 2011, 3:41 am #3

I have never had any leftovers, so I don't know if it is usual for them to collapse or not.

March 6th, 2011, 3:42 am #4

Soft, yes. Once they are golden brown, you are supposed to poke them with a skewer and bake 5-10 minutes longer. This releases the steam. The outsides will be very crisp and the insides will be soft, but done.
The recipe said that's the way they were supposed to be. The top was done with a soft center and the recipe said to pull apart the center and drop a small ball of ice cream into the gooey part.

------

March 6th, 2011, 3:46 am #5

Here's a link to the Recipe File for how I make them:http://www.network54.com/Forum/501970/m ... c+Popovers Oh, you are making me hungry for popovers slathered in butter and frozen strawberry jam...not on the diet, I'm sure. But something to look forward to.

March 6th, 2011, 7:58 pm #6

This one calls for 8 eggs (3 are just yolks) and 1/2 pound of butter. It calls the gooey part in the center "syrup".

------