Master List check-in, week of 11/14-20: What have you accomplished?

Master List check-in, week of 11/14-20: What have you accomplished?

November 14th, 2011, 3:29 pm #1

I thought I would do this weekly until Christmas, to see how much we can accomplish together.

When I was PUPA (that's Picking Up and Putting Away) in the garage, I noticed that our floor is scored into 6 sections. I decided that I would break the garage down into 1/6s to make it more manageable. Last week I PUPA'd and swept out two of them, or 1/3 of a 3-car garage. We could park one car inside! I also got started on the 1/6 that is half of the third bay (if that makes sense) that we will use to store big things, like the snow blower. Having a place to put things will make the rest of the job go better. Over the weekend, I took a toilet tank to Habitat and dumped the broken base.

I'm not making a serious effort to CLEAN the garage--it's too late in the season for that. But I am going to get the stuff out of the middle of the floor so we can park our cars inside. If stuff is on a shelf, it can stay there until I get to it.

I got a roofer out last week to give me an estimate to fix the roof of the metal shop building. He also checked the roof of the house, and it needs a few new shingles, too. He will be back sometime this week to do the job. That will be another one checked off.

I got all of the hoses disconnected from the outdoor faucets and up off the ground. I put those foam caps over all 4 of the outdoor faucets. I DIDN'T get the hose mended that I chopped up with the lawn mower...I will be more interested in doing that come spring, LOL.

This wasn't on my list, but I sold 4 tire rims on craigslist, thereby getting them out of the garage and earning myself 40 bucks.

Progress is slow, especially because I'm not getting any help to speak of. I am getting some pleasure from checking things off the list. I keep finding more stuff to put on the list.
Last edited by MaxineS on November 14th, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 14th, 2011, 3:33 pm #2

That thing has been an eyesore and mosquito trap for 15 years, and I finally had enough. I tore down the fence, moved all the junk to a concrete fenced area I built (the concrete was already there), and finally got the old posts up yesterday.

I'm going to use the posts for bird houses, I used the pickets to build the new fence, but I don't know what to do with the old rails. Any ideas?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

November 14th, 2011, 3:51 pm #3

I thought I would do this weekly until Christmas, to see how much we can accomplish together.

When I was PUPA (that's Picking Up and Putting Away) in the garage, I noticed that our floor is scored into 6 sections. I decided that I would break the garage down into 1/6s to make it more manageable. Last week I PUPA'd and swept out two of them, or 1/3 of a 3-car garage. We could park one car inside! I also got started on the 1/6 that is half of the third bay (if that makes sense) that we will use to store big things, like the snow blower. Having a place to put things will make the rest of the job go better. Over the weekend, I took a toilet tank to Habitat and dumped the broken base.

I'm not making a serious effort to CLEAN the garage--it's too late in the season for that. But I am going to get the stuff out of the middle of the floor so we can park our cars inside. If stuff is on a shelf, it can stay there until I get to it.

I got a roofer out last week to give me an estimate to fix the roof of the metal shop building. He also checked the roof of the house, and it needs a few new shingles, too. He will be back sometime this week to do the job. That will be another one checked off.

I got all of the hoses disconnected from the outdoor faucets and up off the ground. I put those foam caps over all 4 of the outdoor faucets. I DIDN'T get the hose mended that I chopped up with the lawn mower...I will be more interested in doing that come spring, LOL.

This wasn't on my list, but I sold 4 tire rims on craigslist, thereby getting them out of the garage and earning myself 40 bucks.

Progress is slow, especially because I'm not getting any help to speak of. I am getting some pleasure from checking things off the list. I keep finding more stuff to put on the list.
I got all of the outside stuff pulled inside -- grill, patio furniture, garden hoses etc.

I made a double batch of lefse for the holiday meals. If you've ever made it before, you know that it's a two day process -- one day to boil and rice the potatoes and the second day to fry it and freeze it. Much as I like the finished product, I'm glad this task is DONE for this year.

Got my act together and went to Rainbow Foods' "Double Double Daze" event. For one day only, they doubled ten coupons (up to face value of $1.00) with a $25 purchase. They typically allow only five coupons with $25 purchase on Wednesdays and Saturdays only. Got $38 worth of groceries for $18.

November 14th, 2011, 7:03 pm #4

I raked the back yard, again. This weekend I put my drum set in the newly painted room. I also put in a chair and some of my shaman tools. I polished silver for the first time in my life. I cleaned my desk and filing cabinet out and reorganized them. I have 5 boxes of things to go out on the porch, but I have been very achy this weekend so I didn't bring them downstairs yet or do much of anything else.

The tree guys just finished cutting branches that were leaning on my electricity line that comes into my house. Yippy!! No more worrying that branches will pull out the electrical line during a storm.

Not master list stuff, but I also wrapped Christmas presents that have come in so far and put pictures into the computer. I also started making a movie with pictures and music for one of my grandson's birthday.

November 15th, 2011, 4:00 am #5

I've accomplished nothing... but I did make a VERY long list of all the things I need to do. And a grocery list and a menu list.

Maybe by next week's update I'll have more to say. Can I just say that I worked 79.9 hours last week and use that as an excuse?

November 15th, 2011, 4:02 am #6

I raked the back yard, again. This weekend I put my drum set in the newly painted room. I also put in a chair and some of my shaman tools. I polished silver for the first time in my life. I cleaned my desk and filing cabinet out and reorganized them. I have 5 boxes of things to go out on the porch, but I have been very achy this weekend so I didn't bring them downstairs yet or do much of anything else.

The tree guys just finished cutting branches that were leaning on my electricity line that comes into my house. Yippy!! No more worrying that branches will pull out the electrical line during a storm.

Not master list stuff, but I also wrapped Christmas presents that have come in so far and put pictures into the computer. I also started making a movie with pictures and music for one of my grandson's birthday.

And I thought I was making such progress just by having a list already.

------

November 15th, 2011, 5:11 am #7

That thing has been an eyesore and mosquito trap for 15 years, and I finally had enough. I tore down the fence, moved all the junk to a concrete fenced area I built (the concrete was already there), and finally got the old posts up yesterday.

I'm going to use the posts for bird houses, I used the pickets to build the new fence, but I don't know what to do with the old rails. Any ideas?

------
redo that way. I was very impressed.
Missy

November 15th, 2011, 5:32 am #8

It probably wasn't worth all the time and money I put into it, but I like it. Just hope the wind doesn't blow it down this winter.

------

November 15th, 2011, 11:10 am #9

My fil died unexpeceptedly Sunday, so I'm preoccupied. I am going to try to put away the computer CD's that are piled up on the desk in front of me still not put away properly after our basement got wet. I'm also going to try to actually take the donations piled up in the garage to SA.

November 15th, 2011, 11:55 am #10

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. You're going to have a tough couple of weeks ahead. Making funeral arrangements is exhausting and all time-consuming, and then you have the grieving thing to deal with.

Shoot, if you can afford it, arrange now to have someone come in and clean your house later this week. I had a friend pay to have this done at my house the week after my Dad died, and it was so very appreciated because I had neither the energy nor the ambition to clean anything.

Hugs to all at your house.