Making candles out of old crayons?

Making candles out of old crayons?

November 7th, 2011, 1:30 am #1

I need to make some emergency candles and got the idea to use the old crayons that the kids are no longer using as at least part of the wax in order to do so. Anyone have any experience making candles out of crayons? I don't care if these aren't the prettiest, it's part of our emergency preparation. thanks

November 7th, 2011, 2:48 am #2

A quick search on google showed several sites saying that using candles to just tint candles makes them not burn well because of the heavy pigments in them, and using a lot of crayon makes them throw soot. So they may not work all that well.

November 7th, 2011, 11:31 am #3

I need to make some emergency candles and got the idea to use the old crayons that the kids are no longer using as at least part of the wax in order to do so. Anyone have any experience making candles out of crayons? I don't care if these aren't the prettiest, it's part of our emergency preparation. thanks
I have used them but I would not use them for too much of it because of the smell....

November 7th, 2011, 6:46 pm #4

my mom would buy chucks of wax that you're supposed to use in canning and use 1/2 wax 1/2 crayons. we'd melt it in a coffee can in boiling water and pour into rinsed out pint and 1/2 pint containers (heavy cream- half and half.) using a cotton string tied to a rock on the bottom wrapped around a pencil on top.

for PRETTY ones - we'd fill a pint or quart carton with ice cubes, then pour the melted wax over it - 1/3 yellow 1/3 orange 1/3 red - the colors would mix a bit - but the ice cooled it down just enough that you got a layered hole-ey candle.

November 7th, 2011, 9:03 pm #5

I loved the "Swiss Cheese" candles that we made with the ice.