MAIN DISHES--Meats, Fish, Poultry, etc.

MAIN DISHES--Meats, Fish, Poultry, etc.

May 27th, 2006, 4:56 am #1

Please post your MAIN DISH recipes here.

May 27th, 2006, 4:58 am #2

Posted by BarbVT on 5/25/06

My Favorite Salmon Recipe - easy
Put an inch and a half of water in a skillet.

Add 5 peppercorns and 1 bayleaf.

Bring to a boil and add as many pieces of salmon as you like. Simmer for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Don't cover.

Make a sauce using half a cup of sour cream (lowfat is fine), a tablespoon of mayo, a couple of tablespoons of chopped green onion (or regular), and as much dill as you want. You can easily increase the recipe.

This recipe is so easy and very delicious.

May 27th, 2006, 11:53 am #3

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

This recipe is an ad for Crisco Oil. I use Penny FL's sauce recipe too. It is good. I also use turkey instead of chicken.

3 cups enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
3/4 c. shredded cheddar
3/4 c shredded Monterey Jack
1/4 c. sour cream
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
12 6" corn tortillas (I use larger flour totillas. We like the flour ones instead of the corn. But because they are bigger, I use fewer tortillas)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the enchilada sauce below. In a medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, 1/2 c cheddar, 1/2 c Monterey Jack, sour cream, chiles & cilantro. Stir in 1/3 c enchilada sauce. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside. Heat oil in pan and fry tortillas, one at a time until soft (10 seconds per side) (I don't do this step since I use flour tortillas). Drain on paper towels. Spray 9 X 13 baking dish with oil. Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of dish. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla & roll up. Place seam side down, side by side in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over top with remaining cheese & bake until bubbling, 15-20 minutes. Garnish with extra sour cream, sliced green onions & chopped cilantro.

Penny's Enchilada Sauce:

3 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. oregano
2 T. flour
1/2 t. cumin
1/8 c. chili powder (2 Tbsp.)
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1-1/2 c beef broth

Heat oil and flour in saucepan for 1 minute. Ad remaining ingredients and simmer at least 15 minutes.

May 27th, 2006, 12:04 pm #4

MOM'S EASY STEW

1-1/2 lbs lean beef, cut in 1-1/2" cubes (chuck, round or sirloin) (I use round steak)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in diagonal slices
4 carrots, cut in halves
2 onions, cut in 1/2 inch slices
1 (10-1/2 oz) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 soup can water
3 potatoes, peeled & cubed

Place beef (no need to brown it) in 3 qt. casserole. Sprinkle with salt, basil and pepper. Top with celery, carrots and onions. Combine soup and water. Pour over meat & vegetables, coating all pieces. Cover tightly and bake in slow (300*) oven for 3 hours. Add potatoes and bake 45 minures longer. Serve with slaw and crusty bread.

Respond to this message

May 27th, 2006, 12:09 pm #5

SPICY CHICKEN
1 med. onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
3 c. chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
2 c. chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dried thyme
1-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 Tbsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil 1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
16 oz. angel hair pasta (we serve it over rice)
1/2 c. sour cream (this is very important LOL)
In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, sauté the onion and garlic in 2 Tbsp. butter until tender. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, cayenne, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large resalable plastic bag, combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil and cumin; mix well. Add chicken and toss to coat.
In a skillet, sauté chicken in remaining butter until juices run clear. Add chicken to tomato sauce; simmer for 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Top with chicken mixture. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings. From Taste of Home.

May 27th, 2006, 12:11 pm #6

Moroccan Chicken Stew
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
From Family Circle Magazine an Food Network
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1-1/2 lbs. skinless chicken thighs (I use breasts)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 red onions, quartered lengthwise, sliced crosswise
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 (16 oz) can tomato puree (no salt added)
1/4 c. honey
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 sweet green peppers, cut in 1/2-inch squares
1/3 c. golden raisins
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
12 oz. orzo pasta, cooked (I think we used rice)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley leaves
Toss flour and chicken in bag to coat. Cook chicken in oil in nonstick skillet 6 minutes, until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate.
Cook onion in skillet 7 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cayenne: cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato, honey and salt. Add chicken; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in peppers, raisins and chickpeas; simmer, stirring, 15 minutes, until peppers are tender and chicken is no longer pink near the bone.
Serve over orzo. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
I served this with 1/2 slices of navel oranges and rice. The oranges were so good with this. Don't know why.

May 27th, 2006, 7:03 pm #7

This is a low-fat casserole. You can do several things to reduce the calorie count--substitute reduced fat cheese, skip the cheese on top, use skim milk, skip the bread cubes or substitute crushed low-fat potato chips, etc.

Turkey Casserole--No Noodles!
2 cups cubed turkey
One 10 ounce package (or about 1 cup) frozen peas
1 cup chopped celery
One 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper (green or any color)
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or jack cheese, divided
2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 slices white bread, cubed (see note above)

Combine the turkey, frozen peas, celery, water chestnuts, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, wine or broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth and heated through. Pour over turkey mixture and toss to coat.

Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Top with bread cubes, if desired. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (if desired) and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted. If using potato chips for topping, sprinkle them over the top for the last 5 minutes.

This says 6 servings but better serves 3-4 adults. If I were making it for the freezer, I'd freeze it before baking.

May 28th, 2006, 4:32 pm #8

Use round or sirloin steak. If it's on sale, top sirloin isn't that much more expensive...and it is that much better! "Petite sirloin" is bottom sirloin, and it's fine. Recipe from my inlaws, who owned The Hilander Restaurant, Burns, Oregon, 1957-64. Chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, with soup or salad, coffee AND a piece of pie, sold for $1.25.
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
Tenderized round or sirloin steak, cut into serving size pieces
Flour for dredging
1 egg, beaten slightly
1 cup water
Dried bread crumbs or crushed saltines
Salt and pepper to taste (I use seasoned salt)
Oil and margarine

Dredge all of the steak in flour, shaking off the excess. Wash your hands. Mix egg and water together to make egg wash. Dip floured steak in egg wash, then dredge in bread crumbs or cracker meal. Preheat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add oil to heated skillet and then melt about 1 tablespoon of margarine in skillet. Fry steaks in oil and butter until golden brown on one side. Turn, season with salt and pepper, and fry until done. Transfer to an ovenproof plate or pan and keep warm in oven until all of the steaks are cooked. Add oil and butter to pan as needed.

COUNTRY GRAVY--Gravy is an art, not a science. The success of your gravy will depend on the pan drippings. If you have more than a tablespoon or so of grease left in the skillet, pour off the excess. If you don't have enough grease, melt a little butter in the bottom of the pan. Add about 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until smooth to make a roux. Cook for a minute or two to eliminate the "raw" taste from the flour. Using an egg whisk (one of those spring-y type things), stir the roux while you add about 1-1/2 cups of milk. Stir until thickened. If it got thick right away, you probably have too much flour in it and will end up with "pudding gravy." If so, add more milk and continue stirring until it boils and is the right consistency. If it is too thin, just keep cooking and stirring until it thickens up. Season with salt (seasoned salt) and pepper. Stir in a chicken bouillion cube or about 1/2 teaspoon chicken soup base...this is the secret ingredient. Country gravy is usually on the salty side.

Edited to add this note--It is usually cheaper to buy round or sirloin steak on sale and have the meatcutter tenderize it for you than to buy pre-packaged cube steak...which is over-tenderized and tends to fall apart when you work with it. Have the meatcutter put it through the tenderizing machine twice. I have never been charged extra for this service.
Last edited by MaxineS on May 28th, 2006, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2006, 8:53 pm #9

Originally posted by Maxine

Baby Back Ribs
1 or more racks of baby back ribs
salt & pepper
sliced onion
minced garlic or garlic powder
dry wine - any kind
BBQ sauce - any kind

Line a roasting pan with foil and lay ribs in pan. Pepper ribs well. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 min - 1 hour.
Remove from oven, salt the meat and top with garlic and sliced onion. Pour 2 cups dry wine over the ribs. Cover with foil and return to oven at 250 degrees. Bake for about 5 hrs., basting occasionally. If necessary, add a little water to pan drippings.)

Remove from oven, discard onions. Pour off any pan drippings. Baste with BBQ sauce and return to oven for 30 min. Do not cover.

Turn meat over, baste again with BBQ sauce and bake another 30 min. If necessary, turn meat again, baste and continue baking until ready to serve.

Comments from Max--You can use any kind of wine or barbecue sauce. I usually use white or rose wine. I am not a barbecue sauce purist--I usually doctor up Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce with more garlic and a little brown sugar. I have also speeded this up to about 6 hours by baking at 275 degrees. You do want long, slow cooking.
Last edited by MaxineS on July 17th, 2006, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2006, 1:34 am #10

Posted by lili in CO, moved by forum owner to this thread
Chicken Broccoli Skillet
May 28 2006 at 2:23 PM lili In CO
Okay, ...Miracle Whip makes me gag... but for this recipe only, I break down and buy the disgusting stuff. Its a good way to get kids to eat broccoli.

1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1 lb. chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups water
2 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
1/2 pound Velveeta, cubed
2 cups Minute Rice, uncooked

Heat Miracle Whip in large skillet. Add chicken and cook until done - about 8 minutes.

Add water, broccoli and Velveeta. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.