LOW-CAL

LOW-CAL

May 27th, 2006, 3:39 pm #1

Post your LOW-CAL, diet-friendly recipes here. If you know the Weight Watchers points count for your recipe, be sure to list it.

May 28th, 2006, 3:25 pm #2

This is a fantastic recipe, even if you aren't dieting! The chicken is incredibly moist. 6 generous servings, 232 calories each, 5 WW points each.
Braised Chicken & Veggies
1 tablespoon stick margarine
1 or 2 onions, chopped (I use one)
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon oil
14-1/2 can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons parsley, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring as needed, about 5 minutes or until veggies are softened. Transfer the veggies to a 3 quart Dutch oven or casserole.

Cut the chicken into about 1 inch pieces. Combine the flour and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the chicken and shake to coat.

Heat the oil in the same skillet. Add the chicken and brown 2 minutes on each side. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables. Return the skillet to the heat. Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley and thyme. Cook, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the liquid comes to a boil. Pour over the chicken. Bake, covered, for about one hour, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve.

Note: to serve with cooked rice, add 2 points per 1/2 cup serving.
Last edited by MaxineS on May 28th, 2006, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2006, 3:35 pm #3

Post your LOW-CAL, diet-friendly recipes here. If you know the Weight Watchers points count for your recipe, be sure to list it.
This will be on the table, from start to finish, in under half an hour. 4 servings, 235 calories each, 5 WW points per serving.
Turkey Sausage and Cabbage with Noodles
4 hot or sweet Italian turkey sausages, sliced about 1 inch long
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 to 1 onion, chopped (I usually use half an onion)
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chopped cabbage
14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups hot cooked noodles (about 1-1/3 cup uncooked noodles)

Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sausages and cook, stirring as needed, until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring as needed, about 5 minutes, or until softened.

Add the cabbage, tomatoes, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve over noodles.

May 28th, 2006, 4:09 pm #4

Absolutely delicious! Makes 4 servings of about one cup each. Zero points!!!!!
WW Zero Point Soup
2/3 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1-1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini
Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Saute carrot, onion and garlic over low heat about 5 minutes, until softened. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until beans are tender.

June 1st, 2006, 12:21 pm #5

This makes a big batch (about 20 cups), could be cut in half--best in crock pot, but good thrown together last minute too.
I don't know the original name--Maxine gave me the recipe. Hers called for two packages of taco seasoning instead of the spices and flour I list at the end.

2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans pinto beans, drained
2 cans light red kidney beans, drained
2 cups frozen corn
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound extra lean (7% fat) ground beef, browned with the onion and drained
(use pan spray)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
32 oz tomato juice
1/4 cup whole grain flour
2 tablespoons chili powder (my dh adds more to his bowl, plus red peppers)
1 or 2 tsp salt (to taste)
sprinkle of cumin (1/8 tsp??)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fructose

(original recipe did not call for ground beef, but it does not change the point value to add this much. Add a pound and it goes up to 4 points per serving.)

June 1st, 2006, 12:26 pm #6

Absolutely delicious! Makes 4 servings of about one cup each. Zero points!!!!!
WW Zero Point Soup
2/3 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1-1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini
Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Saute carrot, onion and garlic over low heat about 5 minutes, until softened. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until beans are tender.
My family LOVES this with 1/2 pound of lean (7% fat) ground beef added.

Changes point value to 2 points per serving.

June 1st, 2006, 3:45 pm #7

This makes a big batch (about 20 cups), could be cut in half--best in crock pot, but good thrown together last minute too.
I don't know the original name--Maxine gave me the recipe. Hers called for two packages of taco seasoning instead of the spices and flour I list at the end.

2 cans black beans, drained
2 cans pinto beans, drained
2 cans light red kidney beans, drained
2 cups frozen corn
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound extra lean (7% fat) ground beef, browned with the onion and drained
(use pan spray)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
32 oz tomato juice
1/4 cup whole grain flour
2 tablespoons chili powder (my dh adds more to his bowl, plus red peppers)
1 or 2 tsp salt (to taste)
sprinkle of cumin (1/8 tsp??)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fructose

(original recipe did not call for ground beef, but it does not change the point value to add this much. Add a pound and it goes up to 4 points per serving.)
I usually cut the recipe in half, which is easy for a math midget because it calls for two of everything. Also, the recipe calls for crushed tomatoes. I prefer diced for at least half of them. Don't forget that the usual 14-1/2 ounce size of canned tomatoes is half the size of a large can, so if you are making the full recipe, you'd need 4 cans of tomatoes.

2 cans pinto beans
2 cans black beans
2 cans kidney beans
2 large cans crushed or diced tomatoes
2 envelopes taco seasoning

Mix all ingredients together and simmer for a couple of hours. I usually use the Crockpot. One point per one cup serving!

June 2nd, 2006, 10:36 am #8

This would be excellent multiplied and baked as a quiche, too.

2 cups frozen cut broccoli, nuked till hot, water drained off
2 tbsp chopped onion, cooked in pan spray in large skillet while broccoli was heating
3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp skim milk--beaten with the eggs
1/3 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

Add the broccoli to the onion and toss around a bit. Push aside in the pan and spray the pan bottom again. Spread veggies back out and add eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle cheese on top and allow eggs to set up well (I use low heat for this.) Flip and turn like regular scrambled eggs; serve.

This is three servings. Each serving is 3 points. (It would be less with reduced fat cheese, but it was worth the points!)

June 4th, 2006, 5:37 pm #9

Message from Max: These are wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay better than they sound, or maybe I've just been dieting too long, LOL! Seriously, the lack of oil and sugar in the batter does not greatly affect the finished product if you eat 'em hot! They don't brown quite as well, though. I usually don't have whole wheat flour and make these with 1/2 cup white flour.

Bethann's WW-Friendly Pancakes
One pancake = 2 WW points; Two pancakes = 3 WW points
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Whisk together. Pour onto hot griddle sprayed with nonstick spray. Makes four pancakes.

Bethann serves two pancakes with a cup of sliced fresh strawberries sweetened with two packets of Splenda and topped with 2 tablespoons of Cool Whip Lite for a 4 point breakfast. I serve mine with 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce, sweetened with Equal or Splenda, and sugar-free maple-flavored syrup. Today I had the syrup, about 1/3 cup applesauce and a few fresh strawberries on top = 4 points for an outstanding diet breakfast!

Last edited by MaxineS on June 4th, 2006, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2006, 5:47 pm #10

Skinnied Up Turkey Casserole--No Noodles!
2 cups cubed turkey
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped celery
One 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper (green or any color)
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 can Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 ounce "light" potato chips cooked in Olean, crushed (optional)
Combine the turkey, frozen peas, celery, water chestnuts, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk, shredded cheese, wine or broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth and heated through. Pour over turkey mixture and toss to coat.

Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips, if desired, and bake for 5 minutes longer.

4 servings = 6 points without potato chip topping. The light potato chips add 1 additional point to the entire recipe. (Note that Olean is a genetically engineered cooking oil).