looks like we're going to buy the house after all

looks like we're going to buy the house after all

Sandy in NJ
Sandy in NJ

May 23rd, 2012, 9:05 pm #1

Incredibly, the seller agreed to fix every item on the inspection. I was completely shocked, but I'm not going to argue! Our mortgage was approved today, the appraisal was good and we're still set to close next week. When my agent suggested the May 31st closing date the first week of May I thought there was no way we'd be able to close that fast. The only thing that could hold up the closing date is repairs since they need to be finished by closing. When the fire marshall came today to do the certificate of occupancy he said the sidewalk needs to be fixed beforehand also. Right now there are two bad squares that are pushed up by tree roots. The seller is responsible for that too so hopefully everything will be coordinated in time.

I'm very relieved to not have to keep looking and to not have to handle the repairs.

Something odd today - when the Fire Marshall came to the house today he came in a fire engine. Seems sort of grand for a certificate of occupancy!

May 23rd, 2012, 9:19 pm #2

Congrats! So you'll be moving soon, then? I'm sure you'll be glad to settle in.

We've been "looking" online for the past 2 years. I told this to my BIL, and he laughed and said, "How can anyone look at houses and not set foot in one?" Think we're going to actually check one out in person soon. What we can afford and what I'd like (2 living areas) are two different things, and housing prices are really inflated in our town. Also, many of the houses here have single-car garages. We're used to our two-car garage and prefer that, but we've also practically outgrown our little house. It was fine for the two of us and then for the three of us when we brought DD home, but it's a bit cramped now that we have DS.

May 23rd, 2012, 9:22 pm #3

Incredibly, the seller agreed to fix every item on the inspection. I was completely shocked, but I'm not going to argue! Our mortgage was approved today, the appraisal was good and we're still set to close next week. When my agent suggested the May 31st closing date the first week of May I thought there was no way we'd be able to close that fast. The only thing that could hold up the closing date is repairs since they need to be finished by closing. When the fire marshall came today to do the certificate of occupancy he said the sidewalk needs to be fixed beforehand also. Right now there are two bad squares that are pushed up by tree roots. The seller is responsible for that too so hopefully everything will be coordinated in time.

I'm very relieved to not have to keep looking and to not have to handle the repairs.

Something odd today - when the Fire Marshall came to the house today he came in a fire engine. Seems sort of grand for a certificate of occupancy!
That would stress me out soooo much!

I'm glad it's all flaling into place for you. How much time will you ahve to move? I hope you last day in your rental isn't 5/31! I dont; knwo how people do that. I allowed a month overlap when I bougth my house, although I only took 2 weeks to get all moved in.
LisaCNC

May 23rd, 2012, 9:39 pm #4

We moved from MO to KS and had a month overlap, as well. That was great b/c we were able to bring 2 big carloads of stuff and leave one car here. We were renting in MO and also needed time to make sure everything was spic and span once we got the truck loaded. I'm not sure which is worse--moving across town or moving from one state to another. They both have drawbacks.

Monica
Monica

May 23rd, 2012, 11:00 pm #5

My guess is that they won't finish on time either. We have always allowed for overlap in our many moves because things never go as planned. Ever.

Sandy in NJ
Sandy in NJ

May 24th, 2012, 12:28 am #6

The electrician was there today, and we noticed that a couple of the other items were already finished also. They probably started on the repairs thinking that if we backed out that the repairs would need to be done regardless of who bought the house. The sidewalk repair seems questionable though. I just don't see how they can get that finished on time.

Our lease is up June 30. We want to pull up all the shag carpet before we move in and have the floors refinished. At the end of April we told the rental mgmt company that we would probably go month to month when our lease is up because at that point we hadn't found a house. Then we didn't want to tell them until after the inspection. I think our lease says we have to give them two month notice so we'll see what they say.

Sandy in NJ
Sandy in NJ

May 24th, 2012, 12:35 am #7

We moved from MO to KS and had a month overlap, as well. That was great b/c we were able to bring 2 big carloads of stuff and leave one car here. We were renting in MO and also needed time to make sure everything was spic and span once we got the truck loaded. I'm not sure which is worse--moving across town or moving from one state to another. They both have drawbacks.
Across town and across country. They both suck, but I prefer across town.

May 24th, 2012, 12:59 am #8

Sounds like it was "meant to be"! I'm happy for you.

May 24th, 2012, 1:14 pm #9

If it's meant to be things fall into place! Enjoy your new home!!

May 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm #10

we sold our mothers house.... There were some repairs that were found at the last moment
that we were required to do. We agreed to do the repairs (took about a week and a half)
and all the sales money went into escrow until then. The house closed on time but we did
not get our money until the repairs were done.

Missy