Looking for ways to hide sweet potatos....

Looking for ways to hide sweet potatos....

August 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm #1

I have several sweet potatos here, some are huge. I love them baked and then just to eat them with butter/brown sugar and some spices... but my kids don't eat them.

Do you know of any recipes like cakes or muffins that totally hide the fact that it is sweet potato? I know of sweet potato pie but I don't think they would go for that....

August 8th, 2012, 1:54 pm #2

Or mixing them with pumpkin.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

August 8th, 2012, 1:54 pm #3

I have several sweet potatos here, some are huge. I love them baked and then just to eat them with butter/brown sugar and some spices... but my kids don't eat them.

Do you know of any recipes like cakes or muffins that totally hide the fact that it is sweet potato? I know of sweet potato pie but I don't think they would go for that....
I've always made them into french fries, but I always turned everything into french fries so that is what the kids think is normal. I've also added them mashed to pasta sauce, but I don't think it fooled anyone...

August 8th, 2012, 2:43 pm #4

Or mixing them with pumpkin.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."
Just make sure they are the same consistency. You may have to add liquid to the mashed sweet potatoes. I have some killer recipes for sweet potato pie and muffins.

August 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm #5

I've always made them into french fries, but I always turned everything into french fries so that is what the kids think is normal. I've also added them mashed to pasta sauce, but I don't think it fooled anyone...
It totally dissolves by the time the stew is done. Adds a nice taste.

August 8th, 2012, 2:48 pm #6

Sheila,
I often use leftover, mashed sweet potatoes as I would pumpkin in baking. I even use sweet potato casserole (the marshmallow topped stuff) leftovers just as is for a substitution for pumpkin. Try muffins or pumpkin bread. I have a pumpkin-spice-chocolate chip muffin recipe on my blog that makes 24-we really like those. Also, I have a pumpkin bread recipe that makes 2 loaves; one for now, one for the freezer. HTH

August 8th, 2012, 6:33 pm #7

I'm really thinking muffins or cake is the way to go.... I might try them in those pumpkin bars... I have the cream cheese for the frosting....

August 8th, 2012, 6:39 pm #8

You can't fool people who have them! "It just disappears" Snicker! Sure it does! If the idea is to get a certain kid to eat more of a particular veg- GOOD LUCK! If the idea is to use the yams in muffins and you'll like them in any case- I say go for it.

I couldn't bribe anyone here with cream cheese anything because it 'tastes sour.'

August 8th, 2012, 11:32 pm #9

I love to use sweet potatoes and butternut squash in souffles. Of course, the recipe I have has a cup of sugar and either one or two sticks of butter in it, so it naturally tastes wonderful.

PS: Vegetable souffles are not difficult at all.