Let's talk dishes.

Let's talk dishes.

July 19th, 2006, 4:58 pm #1

My everyday dishes are white Pfaltzgraff, a set of eight, that I have had for 10-12 years. I am not totally happy with them as they have chipped in places and show fork marks really badly. They also do not microwave well. I have decided that I am going to use my Target GC for new dishes. I want to get a set of probably 12 since we frequently feed more than 8 and have to bring out other dishes. Any advice on dishes on the market now? I have not looked for dishes in years and wondered who had dishes they really liked and held up well.

July 19th, 2006, 5:19 pm #2

I had the grapevine pattern and it was just looking horrible. It was chipped, cracked and stained. I had it about 9 years.
I bought Fiest Ware and LOVE it so much more than the other stuff. It's heavy but more durable than the pfaltz. that stuff chips so bad.
I like that it's in solid colors and I got an array of colors to match my kitchen. I got 2 plates of each color that matched best. I love the size of the bowl that comes with it. It's not as rounded at the bottom like the other grapevine pattern was.
I also looked at alot of Corel (however you spell that) dinnerware when I was trying to decide. That also holds up really well I just couldn't find a pattern that I liked.
Jaime

July 19th, 2006, 5:29 pm #3

My everyday dishes are white Pfaltzgraff, a set of eight, that I have had for 10-12 years. I am not totally happy with them as they have chipped in places and show fork marks really badly. They also do not microwave well. I have decided that I am going to use my Target GC for new dishes. I want to get a set of probably 12 since we frequently feed more than 8 and have to bring out other dishes. Any advice on dishes on the market now? I have not looked for dishes in years and wondered who had dishes they really liked and held up well.
My Franciscan (Desert Rose) pattern has held up well. We've used it daily for 13 years now--no chips. I recently bought Old Britain Castles by Johnson Brothers (they also made my Franciscan). I also have a set of Target's Home brand plates, but I don't use those often. Ah, yes, I do love dishes! My mom had Fiesta and loved them until she grew tired of the color (she only bought one color).
Last edited by Miranda_MO on July 19th, 2006, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 19th, 2006, 5:37 pm #4

I had the grapevine pattern and it was just looking horrible. It was chipped, cracked and stained. I had it about 9 years.
I bought Fiest Ware and LOVE it so much more than the other stuff. It's heavy but more durable than the pfaltz. that stuff chips so bad.
I like that it's in solid colors and I got an array of colors to match my kitchen. I got 2 plates of each color that matched best. I love the size of the bowl that comes with it. It's not as rounded at the bottom like the other grapevine pattern was.
I also looked at alot of Corel (however you spell that) dinnerware when I was trying to decide. That also holds up really well I just couldn't find a pattern that I liked.
Jaime
Maybe I have Target confused with another store, but I don't recall that they sold many name brand dishes except Corelle and possibly Pfaltzgraff. We looked last year when we bought new dishes for DS (ended up with Pfaltzgraff from the outlet). The one thing I found when looking at places like Target, Wal-Mart and ShopKo (although admittedly Target is several steps above the others) is that a lot of the no-name dishes are really poor quality. Be sure to look through EVERY BOX that you buy.

I believe that Homer Laughlin makes several casual dinnerware lines besides Fiestaware, but I'm not sure. I like their quality. My everyday dishes, which I love (chips and all) are a casual line called Epoch, made by Noritake. I got them at the Bon Marche, which is now owned by Macy's.

July 19th, 2006, 6:08 pm #5

I bought most of mine at Marshall Field's but they don't have it anymore. I think J.C. Penney used to have too. Kohl's has a limited selection of colors. I really like my set. I've had it about 7 or 8 years and have chipped one small bowl. I bought some accessories on ebay also. It's very cheerful.

July 19th, 2006, 6:41 pm #6

...still sell Fiesta. Maybe it is a holdover from the old Bon Marche days. I THINK they sell Johnson Bros., too. That has always been a big brand for Meier & Frank in Oregon, but now that M&F is owned by Macy's, too, they may have them. As I recall, Target had something like Fiesta under one of their store brands. (Kind of like Red Lobster uses dishes similar to Fiesta). But, again, I can't vouch for the quality.

July 19th, 2006, 7:00 pm #7

I bought most of mine at Marshall Field's but they don't have it anymore. I think J.C. Penney used to have too. Kohl's has a limited selection of colors. I really like my set. I've had it about 7 or 8 years and have chipped one small bowl. I bought some accessories on ebay also. It's very cheerful.
That's where I've gotten my Johnson Brothers dishes.

July 19th, 2006, 7:20 pm #8

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHO ... 5876|25863

Tammy

July 19th, 2006, 8:28 pm #9

Currently we use our wedding registry china, which is Noritake. I like it well enough, but I don't love it. The only person to ever chip or break a piece has been me, not the kids, and I have had no worry letting even babies and toddlers use the china. But I never had a complete set, and now that is starting to bother me. I want new dishes.

One of my interests is in presenting food so it looks interesting and pretty, and this has lead to an interest in what I serve the food on and in. I occassionally run down to Chinatown to pick up a piece of something new now and then. I'm having a lot of fun with it, mixing and matching things to go together, and it's not too expensive since I'm only buying a litle at a time. There are some really fun dishes out there, and I want them all. The frugalista in me keeps the new hobby in check and limited storage space also prevents me for over-buying), and I have to admit that buying things slowly is fun. The thrill is spread over time. (I know, I have a boring life that buying a new dish now and then thrills me. I'm well aware of that, lol!)

July 19th, 2006, 9:06 pm #10

We have fiesta too and I love it! I love the bright, variet of colors. It is heavy and sturdy and holds up well. In the 2 1/2 years since I have had it I havent had a lick of trouble! Try this website if you are looking for fiesta

http://www.dinnerwareusa.com/shop/